PDA

View Full Version : Small flower pots

alex__17
04-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Where would do cheap but nice small flower pots kids could decorate with paint/glitter/sticking things for Mother's Day?

natlou82
04-03-2015, 10:53 PM
I got some from Wilkos last year x

Kiddleywinks
05-03-2015, 07:14 AM
Wilko's, B&M's, Home Bargains....

alex__17
05-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Dont have any of those near me :-(

hectors house
05-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Just got my small terracotta pots from a garden centre - 55p each - mindees painted them yesterday, only problem is I also bought pots of crocuses to go in them but they are already flowering, may have to send Mother's Day presents home a week early!

smurfette
05-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Do you have to use special paints guys?

lollipop kid
05-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Where would do cheap but nice small flower pots kids could decorate with paint/glitter/sticking things for Mother's Day?

I've just been into Aldi and they have a set of mini plastic pots (as part of a potting on set) that might be ideal. It looked as if there was in excess of 20 pots in the set, yet it was less than £5. The pots themselves are only about 3 inches high - really cute. (I've looked online but can't see it on their website.)

I was thinking of you when I saw the sets. These are the kind that you could draw shapes or a message on with permanent marker, and then let the children loose with stickers etc. to decorate.

All the best,

L

lollipop kid
05-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Do you have to use special paints guys?

I bought a set of Sharpies (in loads of different colours). I'd draw the shapes on with those, then let the children loose with stickers.

(Or if they're old enough, let them use the Sharpies.)

Acrylic paints would work too, though - I think they can be used on most surfaces (you just have to remember to wet the paint before you use it - so mix some with a little water for the best consistency). Masking tape might be useful to mask off lines on the pots if you're getting the little ones to paint, then they can make nice stripey pots. (Got carried away a bit there - sorry!)

:blush:

All the best,

L

hectors house
05-03-2015, 06:57 PM
My mindees have just painted pots (free style all their own work) using normal paints (from Asda) - I may try painting a spare one and then going over it with diluted pva glue to see if it seals it but I expect parents will keep them inside.

alex__17
05-03-2015, 07:05 PM
That's great thanks, well on a walk today we came across a little flower stall and I got 8 tulip bulbs for £3 that take a couple of days to flower indoors (slower if outside so they're sat on the patio) and I'll get pots over the weekend :-)
Think I'll get some of those little pots you can plant straight out and let them fill those and plant their tulips then they can decorate their pot and drop the ready planted pot into it. They're all one or two days a week so won't have masses of time to let things dry then plant!

natlou82
05-03-2015, 08:43 PM
We decorated plant pots last yr using acrylic paints and they are still looking fab (they are kept outside)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-03-2015, 10:21 PM
I order mine from Hobbycraft and we use normal paint

Kiddleywinks
06-03-2015, 06:54 AM
I believe Wilko's are online and deliver...?