PDA

View Full Version : Accidents

keohane1
04-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Would you carry on looking after a child if the parent rushes to the hospital at the slightest injury. Social services ring her every time now as they obviously have to do their job!

moggy
05-03-2015, 07:48 PM
That would ring alarm bells for me! Is this a new family or an existing family on your books?

Are you able to discuss it with them, talk some sense into them?! (assuming there is no existing medical condition that would make this child more susceptible to injury/harm etc?)

I need families to trust me 100% and if they are likely to lay blame on me for every little thing I would be ending our relationship to protect my good name. I guess A&E are having a quick check and sending the family away? If the child is not actually injured and is not kept in hospital then there is no need to report to Ofsted, but would make ones accident book quite a lot of work if you had to write up all these hospital trips! Do you have access and permission to talk to/work with SS on this?

lollipop kid
05-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Would you carry on looking after a child if the parent rushes to the hospital at the slightest injury. Social services ring her every time now as they obviously have to do their job!

I'd try to find a way of terminating the contract. It only takes one Paediatrician to give the mum the benefit of the doubt, even for a very minor injury, and suddenly you're the one in a very awkward situation.

You don't need to give a reason. Just tread carefully so the mum has no reason to lodge a complaint/concern about your safeguarding with Ofsted.

Only you can know what you should do. Trust your gut. Without trust, it's just not worth it!!!

L