PDA

View Full Version : Kumon?!

mumofone
04-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Can anyone explain this to me and give me an idiots guide? Thank you! :-)

Smiley
04-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Do you mean the maths self-learning programme?

mumofone
04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Do you mean the maths self-learning programme?

Yep that's the one :-) What's it all about?

mama2three
04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
they do an assessment to gauge the childs starting points - then they say they tailor an individual programme for the child. These are worksheets done every day at home building on skills acquired as they progress. worksheets are timed as they want accuracy and fluency. when they go to the study centre they aren't 'taught' as such as its all about self learning - but the tutors monitor the child and gauge what work to set.

FloraDora
04-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Worksheet after worksheet, no practical maths ....I have never experienced a child improve their overall maths ability by this method, no matter what they claim.
What they do is improve their ability to focus, which then helps.....
I have taught so many children who's parents thought this after school tuition would benefit, most enjoyed the sessions and their confidence grew as the system set them on a course of worksheet after worksheet that they were able to complete with little challenge, but their ability to be numerate, problem solve, transfer their knowledge, articulate and communicate their thoughts around maths didn't.

Maza
04-03-2015, 07:56 PM
I was really hoping you would respond to this thread FloraDora! I have the same opinion as you on Kumon. In one particular school I taught at there were so many children doing kumon and they used to bring in their workbooks to show me (I think the parents wanted me to see how much they could 'do') and it used to break my heart. Like you say, it was worksheet after worksheet. What upset me the most was that it was a very deprived area and these families were spending money on this and in my opinion they would have been better off spending it on swimming lessons, or not spending money at all and going to the park after school instead. That of course is just my opinion and I really don't mean to offend anyone.

At a party over the weekend, one mum was telling me that her daughter does kumon and really enjoys it and the class teacher had told her that she was really good at Maths. It got me thinking that maybe I should look into Kumon for my DD. I couldn't believe I was considering it, but like many parents I had the 'keeping up with the Jones' mindset. I am so glad that this thread came up and that you responded FloraDora, it has brought me to my senses and saved me some money! x

mumofone
04-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I was really hoping you would respond to this thread FloraDora! I have the same opinion as you on Kumon. In one particular school I taught at there were so many children doing kumon and they used to bring in their workbooks to show me (I think the parents wanted me to see how much they could 'do') and it used to break my heart. Like you say, it was worksheet after worksheet. What upset me the most was that it was a very deprived area and these families were spending money on this and in my opinion they would have been better off spending it on swimming lessons, or not spending money at all and going to the park after school instead. That of course is just my opinion and I really don't mean to offend anyone. At a party over the weekend, one mum was telling me that her daughter does kumon and really enjoys it and the class teacher had told her that she was really good at Maths. It got me thinking that maybe I should look into Kumon for my DD. I couldn't believe I was considering it, but like many parents I had the 'keeping up with the Jones' mindset. I am so glad that this thread came up and that you responded FloraDora, it has brought me to my senses and saved me some money! x

Does it cost parents money in order for their children to do it then? Don't the schools put it on for the children?

FloraDora
04-03-2015, 09:05 PM
My youngest found maths difficult.
End of Key Stage 2 achieved a level 3, so lower than expected for his age.
We spent one summer making things ( husband D&T teacher so it was his idea)
Started with models in construction kits, ( big difficult ones where you had to work out stuff) moved on to wood - made a go cart, measured worked out etc.. Made cushions for it - measuring again, multiplication practise came in. Raced it, timed how long would it take to go...distance? Great activity, lots of maths but he didn't mind as was having a great time.
Then he did up an old bike...costing for new parts sorting gears, tyre pressures, - all maths in action. Then made ramps
He baked biscuits and cakes ....
It was a great summer, lots of activity that gave him opportunities to use his maths. He was 12, y7 bottom set maths.

The summer got him really interested in doing things up and making, so he continued into Autumn, made a rabbit hutch, some settings for his brothers warhammer - a bag / pouch for his drum sticks .DH and I supported but he did most of the problem solving and planning alongside his practical skills.

By jan he had moved up a set. By the following September he had moved ( just) into top set.....and loved making things.
He got a B at GCSE maths.

Telling you this because I personally believe that supporting learning has got to be done in a way the child is interested, whether they are 3 or 13. Some children may love pen and pencil excercises which then might boost their confidence, but on the whole maths for me is about practical application, in real life situations, problem solving.

It may not work for everyone but finding things to do to use maths in a hands on practical way worked for our son and cost less than Kumon with a made item at the end - we still use the cushions in the garden.

Maza
04-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Wow, how lucky he is to have parents like you and your DH, FloraDora!

FloraDora
04-03-2015, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Maza;1393484]Wow, how lucky he is to have parents like you and your DH, FloraDora![/QUOTE

We both love making, so boys always helped / saw us, it's just that summer we focussed any spare time on what he wanted to make.
Our families used to think we spent too much time with our children, but we didn't and didn't care what they thought.

Unfortunately we knew how important it would be for him to get either a gcse or basic skill in maths, so many doors are closed if you haven't got it.

childminder54
04-03-2015, 11:20 PM
My grandchildren live in San Francisco they have come on leaps and bands doing English and maths Kaman.x

bunyip
05-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Can anyone explain this to me and give me an idiots guide? Thank you! :-)

Isn't the first word of an Eddie Cochran hit? :confused:

..................or was it Slade? :rolleyes:

mumofone
05-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Isn't the first word of an Eddie Cochran hit? :confused: ..................or was it Slade? :rolleyes:

Sorry bunyip you've lost me?!

mumofone
05-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Isn't the first word of an Eddie Cochran hit? :confused: ..................or was it Slade? :rolleyes:

Lol, just got it (I think!!)

Cmon everybody.....

bunyip
06-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Kumon feel the Noize................

(There is another one but better not go there since the artist just got sent down....)