PDA

View Full Version : Taking on a 6 year old for 3 hrs a day

mumofone
03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
What do I need to know? They would be full time in school hols?

funemnx
03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
For school children I just do an information for childminder form, share policies and get permissions signed as well as a contract. For the schoolies who come here for term time and holidays, I put in the contract the hours for both :thumbsup:

mumofone
03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
For school children I just do an information for childminder form, share policies and get permissions signed as well as a contract. For the schoolies who come here for term time and holidays, I put in the contract the hours for both :thumbsup:

Thanks funemnx, are learning journeys requires for this age? My minds gone blank argh!

Ripeberry
04-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks funemnx, are learning journeys requires for this age? My minds gone blank argh!

No (thank goodness). But you might like to take a few photos and maybe liaise with the school to see what the 'themes' are.

mumofone
04-03-2015, 09:43 AM
No (thank goodness). But you might like to take a few photos and maybe liaise with the school to see what the 'themes' are.

Thanks ripeberry :-) What kind of activities do you find appeal to a 6 year old? It would be after school so they will be doing some homework. I was going to get them involved in some gardening/growing veggies/herbs etc and provide writing/drawing materials, any better/other ideas?!

AliceK
04-03-2015, 11:37 AM
After school my schoolies just want some chill out time. They can choose what they want to do but usually they just chill out and play with the LO's. We tend to do more in the school hols when we have more time and they are not so tired.

xxx

Maza
04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
My six year old daughter does homework first and then either an art/craft type of activity or plays with the little ones or by herself with various toys. Sometimes we do a baking activity or she helps me to prepare dinner. If it is good weather we often play outside or pop in to a playground or the Common on the way home. x

mumofone
05-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Do I need to do observations for a 6 year old or is this strictly EYFS children only?

Simona
05-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Do I need to do observations for a 6 year old or is this strictly EYFS children only?

What type of obs do you have in mind or do you think you need to do for a 6 year old?
Talk to the parents and work out if they want you to do homework...bear in mind you will have other EYFS children and very busy to prepare supper, finish diaries and all the rest of the jazz!!!!!

AliceK
05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
What type of obs do you have in mind or do you think you need to do for a 6 year old?
Talk to the parents and work out if they want you to do homework...bear in mind you will have other EYFS children and very busy to prepare supper, finish diaries and all the rest of the jazz!!!!!

I agree. Don't underestimate the amount of work or lack of time you will have when you get back in from school. We get in about 3.40pm and I have children going home at 5pm so they need to be sat down eating by 4.20pm at the latest. Time seems to go so quickly. I am busy supervising the younger EY's children and at the same time getting tea ready, I don't have time to supervise any homework, not even for my own children. Luckily all my after schoolies have been with me since they were EY's children so they know my routine / rules and they are all happy to play with the younger children sensibly or else sit in a huddle playing on the tablet in the playroom. I know I can trust them.

xxx

Maza
05-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Yes, be very wary of what you promise in regards to homework. Ultimately it isn't your responsibility to make sure the child hands her homework in on time. At that age they still need a lot of input from an adult with homework - it's not like having a much older child when you can just provide a quiet space for them to do their homework. I only have DD's homework to manage and that can be tricky enough. I like her to do it as soon as she gets home as it's too late for her to concentrate by the time the mindees have all gone home. Last night however, one mindee had a bad fall and I just had to tend to him/fill out forms/contact both parents etc. We didn't finish the homework - that's fine because it was my child but explaining all of that to another parent might be a bit tricky. I have heard several mums at the school gate panicking after opening their child's book bag on a Sunday night to find that the homework hadn't been done with the nanny. Make sure you communicate clearly on that issue, whatever you decide. Is this child linked to your Kumon post by any chance?

mumofone
05-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your responses guys. I'm new to all this so will be feeling my way at first I guess and will probably learn a lot on the job!

Yes this is an after schooler who will have some homework (some kumon, yes) to do. She will be my only one initially and perhaps for some time until I get up and running and know what I'm doing!!

I know as part of the EYFS for children 0-5 I need to do observations but do I not need to do any for a 6 year old? I don't need to do a learning journey. Would I do a daily diary/sheet? I'm a bit confused!

I was going to get permissions forms signed, contract obviously, Childs record/information form and get policy's signed off but want to ensure I cover all bases, have I missed anything?

Thanks guys and please forgive my ignorance! :-) x

Simona
05-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks for your responses guys. I'm new to all this so will be feeling my way at first I guess and will probably learn a lot on the job!

Yes this is an after schooler who will have some homework (some kumon, yes) to do. She will be my only one initially and perhaps for some time until I get up and running and know what I'm doing!!

I know as part of the EYFS for children 0-5 I need to do observations but do I not need to do any for a 6 year old? I don't need to do a learning journey. Would I do a daily diary/sheet? I'm a bit confused!

I was going to get permissions forms signed, contract obviously, Childs record/information form and get policy's signed off but want to ensure I cover all bases, have I missed anything?

Thanks guys and please forgive my ignorance! :-) x

This child comes under the Welfare Requirements as he is an over 5 but under 8...so within the ages you are registered for and covered under your EY register and Childcare register.
Look at the latter Ofsted factsheet for more guidance.
You will need a contract but as you say no LJ...maybe a little album with photos you can share with the family...no diary unless there is a particular reason for this...say if the child has an additional need

I personally love doing homework with the older children but you need to consider the space you have and how you are going to split yourself between all the demands of caring for all children.

Kumon would need you to be aware of what it entails so the parents cannot expect that of you...maybe you could hear the child read and leave Kumon to the parents....ultimately it is their responsibility to get the homework done when they get home...as you probably feed the child the parents won't have to do that and have time for homework.

You are not ignorant ...just finding your way to juggle the demands put on you...not sure how many nurseries and preschools who collect older children would have time to supervise homework? even in after school clubs the staff let the children get on

Fitrix
05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I agree, with the best will in the world, homework just never gets done before mindees go home. A mum asked me to listen to her child read and I couldn't even manage that! I'd agree to offer a quiet space and prompt her but that you cannot promise to help her on a daily basis.
Once children are out of the early years age group (August after their 5th birthday) you do not have to carry out observations, learning journeys or any sort of planning etc. you can do a daily diary if you like, but there is no reason why a 6 year old can't talk to her parents herself about her/his day.
So long as you have permissions/contract/child record form done then that is all that is required.