PDA

View Full Version : Model making

mumofone
02-03-2015, 05:31 PM
What's the proper name for making stuff out of household objects or rather packaging like toilet/kitchen roll insides and egg boxes? I can't think!! Is there a good website with ideas as to things that can be made with such objects?

Simona
02-03-2015, 06:01 PM
What's the proper name for making stuff out of household objects or rather packaging like toilet/kitchen roll insides and egg boxes? I can't think!! Is there a good website with ideas as to things that can be made with such objects?

Providers refer to it as 'junk modelling'
I call it expressive arts and design!

FussyElmo
02-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Pinterest you need no other site but be warned its addictive :thumbsup:

mumofone
02-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Providers refer to it as 'junk modelling' I call it expressive arts and design!

Lol thanks Simona, that's what I'll be doing too!! :-)

Junk modelling - that's the name I was after! :-) thank you :-)

bunyip
02-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Isn't it called Blue Petering any longer? :huh:

hectors house
02-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I call it "passing on the contents of my recycling box" :D

natlou82
03-03-2015, 06:20 AM
I agree with fussy, you need Pinterest in your life lol. The Pinterest fails are really funny!

Simona
03-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Lol thanks Simona, that's what I'll be doing too!! :-)

Junk modelling - that's the name I was after! :-) thank you :-)

Let the children's own imagination loose and free with anything you can collect...not just kitchen roll and boxes but lids, corks, shells...all sorts really.
I am not a user of Pinterest so not sure what is on offer there ...but the best resource is the children's creativity...let them experiment and do what they want!

good luck

Mouse
03-03-2015, 09:29 AM
For junk modelling get the children to use masking tape. It's easy for them to rip, sticks to most things and can be removed if they want to rearrange their creations. It's much easier than glue and doesn't need to be left to dry. Can be painted and coloured over as well.

Pinterest is fab for ideas, but for real junk modelling just let children use their imaginations :thumbsup:

TinyTinker
03-03-2015, 11:10 AM
thanks mouse off to the pound shop to buy shed loads of masking tape!

i think it's called when the recycling bin is full, we need to make crafts out of the contents to send home to families to off load our boxes, tubes and plastic bottles ;) - no joking, it's defo junk modelling. I have a lo who always makes cameras out of boxes and tubes etc.

mumofone
03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
For junk modelling get the children to use masking tape. It's easy for them to rip, sticks to most things and can be removed if they want to rearrange their creations. It's much easier than glue and doesn't need to be left to dry. Can be painted and coloured over as well. Pinterest is fab for ideas, but for real junk modelling just let children use their imaginations :thumbsup:

Great idea! :-)

FussyElmo
03-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Pinterest is for everything if you need inspiration. type it in and an idea if not 100s of ideas will come up.

But be warned its a bit like hotel California you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave :laughing::laughing::laughing:

FloraDora
03-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Love Pinterest too.

As a parent I used to dread the junk model coming home - my lads created huge things with the biggest boxes they could find. I always think it's the process of junk modelling that is the best part with very young children, the joining and creating , than the final product, which most often gets abandoned as soon as its created.

Mouse
03-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Love Pinterest too.

As a parent I used to dread the junk model coming home - my lads created huge things with the biggest boxes they could find. I always think it's the process of junk modelling that is the best part with very young children, the joining and creating , than the final product, which most often gets abandoned as soon as its created.

That's another reason why I use masking tape - the structures can be pulled apart and rebuilt over & over again, or just pulled apart and put back in the junk box :thumbsup: