PDA

View Full Version : Middle of the day school pick ups?

jw19nr
01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Hello. Although STILL waiting for reg to go through, I have had a few enquires for September starts.

We REALLY need some income at the moment, so had orginally said I would take on what ever came along. I had an interview today for a 4 year old in full time ed wanting before and after school care which seemed ok and parents seemed quite keen. I have now had another enquiry for another child that goes to the same school. BUT she goes to the nursery half day. So, This would mean doing 3 school runs. I had planned to do lots of days out with the children (I have an annual pass to alot of local attractions). Is this going to restrict me too much? And going to cost too much in petrol? (I would ideally like to walk to school but its is at least 30min walk each way, which would mean my LO and any fulltimer would be stuck in a buggy walking for more than 3 hours a day (30min+ each way, plus time to drop off etc times 3).

I don't know what to do, as I need the money, BUT it would take up an under 5 space (I have my own 7month old) and mean we couldn't go anywhere for a day out. I know we can still go out to parks, toddler groups etc so maybe wouldn't bee too bad? Just don't want to commit to it and then regret it. I have a meeting with her on monday evening, but don't want to waste her time.

Its 5 days a week as well.

sarah707
01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Not sure I'm much help but I'll try...

I do 2 schools and 2 x morning, 2 x lunchtime and 2 x after school pick ups every day... but the schools are round the corner.

If I was getting the car out every time I might re-think. If you've got little ones and you're waking them up to put them in and out of a car ... in the car, get to the school, out the car, in the buggy, in the car, out the car... it's a lot of strain on your back as much as anything else...

But then nobody said we do an easy job. :(

miffy
01-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I think you need to check that financially it would be worth doing - especially as you are likely to use the car at least part of the time.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Angela234
01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I had this about 2 years ago i used the car at lunchtime and walked the other 2 times. I don't use the car at all now hubby has it so any pick ups are either walk or bus.I haven't got any school pick ups in September not until Jan
Full Days out i keep for the holidays.

Angela

jw19nr
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Forgot to say, my DH is a registered assistant, but works 4 days on, 4 days off. The days he is off, he could keep the little ones at home, or do the school run.

butterfly
01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
i do exactly this BUT the middle of the day pickup is to get my own daughter from nursery! would you be charging the parents for the time they're at nursery? if so it could be financially viable.

crazybones
01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I did it all last year(walking distance) for a mindee I had had since he was 3 months old. I found it really restrictive and turned down the same for a new child for this year. Because I dropped him off at 12.30 and another mindee arrived at 12 pm the half hour overlap stopped me filling my other space (I have a 2 year old of my own) and restricted my income (Ofsted wouldnt grant a variation) but at the time I started I needed the money. :rolleyes:

Bushpig
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
From September I will have to do a preschool nursery school run for one of my little boys... with three little ones! As it is smack bang in the middle of their sleepy-time (the return school run), I have asked his mum to arrange for him to be dropped off at my place. The babies need their sleep. Difficult one really... but one has to consider the other kids in one's care too.. and she is keen for him to stay with me.

Hannahlg
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
i will be picking up from school in setpmber till januray as one of the little ones we have only starting school part time

some days i will be doing the following

taking 6 childen to school which starts at 8.45am then going back home to pick to get little boy and take him to pre-school(i cant take more then 6 on the school run and some morings i will have 7 )

so i will drop little boy off at pre-school for 9.15am

then have to pick 1 and sometiems 2 boys up at school at 11.55am
then pick little boy put from pre-school at 12.15pm]
then pick up from school at 3.15pm

and i walk everywhere

cloud9
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
i do exactly this BUT the middle of the day pickup is to get my own daughter from nursery! would you be charging the parents for the time they're at nursery? if so it could be financially viable.

I do this as well and i have never had a parent complain that they had to pay for the whole day. If you explain that the place is there available for them and you cannot fill it by anyone else they are usually ok.

However i found doing school runs at 9. 12 and 3 to restrictive and could only really go further afield in the school holidays, when everything was packed out

04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
This sounds like really hard work and very restrictive, especially with your little one. I do this but as the local preschool and school are 4 miles away I have to use the car which makes it easier in some ways. I don't charge for the time they are at preschool but only because I have filled most of the mornings with under 3's whose parents meet me when picking up siblings from preschool so it kills two birds with one stone and the two mornings that I only have two children I take them to toddler gyms etc where I wouldn't feel confident with three. It can be disruptive with sleep times so you need to think whether they can adapt to the hours free for sleeping or maybe say no, or maybe a trial period? I quite like the way the journeys break up the day and the little children get used to going to preschool and school and it helps them to settle in later. I am lucky though that the hours for preschool are 9am-1pm so this leaves a good time in the morning for longer trips then they sleep pm before school pick up........and if I didn't I wouldn't have a waiting list for the after preschool slot which is my big earner and it is a great way to meet new parents who might be looking for care in the future.

A hard decision though, good luck

Anni