PDA

View Full Version : How do you get young children into the car at once!

kmc13
01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Hi,

As a mum of one I've only had experience of getting 1 child in my car (she's nearly 2). So I'm just looking for any advice or tips on how other childminders get 2 or 3 young children into their car safely? Especially when leaving the house, I don't live on a busy road but I do have a short walk to my car. If I'm putting one in the car what do I do with the other children?

Thanks

muffins
01-03-2015, 12:35 PM
They older ones and able pre-schoolers climb in first and get in to seats, I then put & strap any babies in. If I have more than one baby I put one in the foot well rather than leave them behind me in a buggy whilst I strap the other in. I then strap in & check those who have down there own. I then put buggy in if needed and 10 minutes later we are ready to leave :laughing:

lollipop kid
01-03-2015, 12:42 PM
They older ones and able pre-schoolers climb in first and get in to seats, I then put & strap any babies in. If I have more than one baby I put one in the foot well rather than leave them behind me in a buggy whilst I strap the other in. I then strap in & check those who have down there own. I then put buggy in if needed and 10 minutes later we are ready to leave :laughing:

Same as above. It's best to keep those already strapped in a buggy (so nice and safe) beside you in their buggy until you have put the older children in. I would only open the car door on the street (never the other side where traffic is coming). So careful parking so that car seats are on the kerb side is a must.

Put the older children in first - those that can walk/climb in. I would probably fasten their seatbelts (or double-check they'd done them up properly if they do it). Then babies go in last, with the smallest last of all.

Buggy in once everyone else is seated safely and happily.

L

tulip0803
01-03-2015, 01:26 PM
As above you find something that works for you. I have a 7 seater so put the bigger children in the very back first asbo have to slide the seat unless I a carrying a baby or holding the hand of the 18 month old then they go in their seat in the middle of the middle row first As I can still slide the seat. If I have the buggy they are the last in. Everyone gets in the same door then I once everyone is in I check and do up seatbelts. Finally all bags and buggy are squeezed in. I am alwaysbthe last n the school carpark and the crossing lady has a chat while I am doing it. You can never rush anywhere. All my mindees know the routine so wait nicely holding the buggy or standing beside me, with new starters I keep a very close eye and put in the car ASAP as they are unknown quantities but this works for me.

hectors house
01-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a drive way and live in a cul de sac but I carry out the baby, open the door for the older children to climb in (they know which seat is theirs and they climb in), I walk round other side and strap baby in, walk back round and strap other 2 in. If we are at toddlers or out on a walk then baby stays in buggy while I open door for older children, I open boot, open other car door and strap baby in, put buggy away (I open the boot to remind me to put it away as I have driven off and left it on pavement before), strap other 2 children in.

k1rstie
01-03-2015, 08:48 PM
When I first started minding, I only had one child of my own. I thought that children just got in and got out of the car!!

My first mindee, aged 4 ( also an only child) wanted to sit in a particular car seat, which happened to be the daughters favourite seat too. I started by 'taking turns' with the seats. This still caused arguments. The lad would would slam his fists against the windows shouting 'get me out!

When we were all out the car, we would they have arguments about who went on the front door first etc.

It was a very quick learning curve for me. He left my care.

I then bought 2 identical car seats, and we have no discussion. All the children sit where they are told.

Kiddleywinks
02-03-2015, 07:31 AM
I then bought 2 identical car seats, and we have no discussion. All the children sit where they are told.

:laughing::laughing::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hectors house
02-03-2015, 07:57 AM
I think getting children in and out of a car is easy for me as I have had all the children since babies and they know my expectations and rules - it must be hard starting out with "strange" children of different ages, so just make sure that you are firm from the start and explain what you need them to do and why.

Kiddleywinks
02-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I put the under 3's in first as the older ones can follow instructions better.

Depending on where we are, I will have the older ones put their hand on the passenger door/rear quarter panel/nearest tree or garden wall, whilst I get the 'babies' strapped in.

I have found that, provided you are consistent, the littlies will 'follow' what the older ones do without much 'teaching' from me....

Last week I observed the after schoolers role playing with the under 3's - they were getting into the 'car' after 'collecting from school', and the 18mth old, 2 yr old, and 3yr old all promptly lined up against the wall :laughing::thumbsup: