PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right?

lpatters
01-03-2015, 10:11 AM
I have my pre-reg visit on Tues and I'd like to get my head around the whole planning, observations etc just in case the inspector asks me how I plan on doing this...

So this is what I think I should be doing once I'm minding but would like advice just in case I'm not doing it right. (I'm finding it all quite confusing). So when a child starts with me I watch them (observing) and take notes of what they can and can't do and what their interests may be. I then plan some activities and make notes on how the activity went. I then plan some next steps which will further the childs development based on the activity we have done. I make a record of which areas of learning were met during the activity. Does this sound ok? Is there anything else I should be doing.

Also, what is tracking?

On my course, we were told that we should do termly assessments on each child. What does this involve? TIA xx

moggy
01-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Sounds about right- make sure you include parent input at all stages- so 'All About Me' input to include what child can do according to parents and interests when they start.
I do termly reviews- not a requirement (only the 2-year check is a requirement) but I like to do them. It can be the same as a 2-year check, just call it a progress review or whatever. I get parent input each term for that too and include 'news from home' in obs too- so if mum says 'johnny did xxx at the weekend...' I write that in LJ too and mark it as input from home (shows working in partnership). If you had a child using another setting too you can include their input too if you can get it (like a nursery/playgroup).

A tracker is a sheet or similar where you track where the child is in relation to the Aspect of each Area by ages/stage. So you can see if they are lagging behind in any area, or excelling. It can highlight any areas you need to work on or raise awareness with parents to get support. I am sure there are various templates around if you search- maybe try free resources above.

hectors house
02-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Yes that's how I do my observations and planning (based on next steps) - remember you don't have to do too much written planning as some times your hard work can be wasted if a child changes their interests overnight or you want to make the most of the weather eg: you aren't going to stay inside and do painting if it's snowing outside and kids would rather build a snowman.

I do 6 monthly reviews to tie in with child's birthday and half birthday - then reviews are spread throughout the year rather than trying to do 6 in one go.

lpatters
02-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Thank you. I think the thing that is confusing me the most is the tracking. How often do these need to be filled out for each area of learning? Do you put a tracker in with every observation you do?

funemnx
02-03-2015, 02:35 PM
No - a tracker can be done termly, 6 monthly, yearly... it's a review of where the child is at developmentally at the time :thumbsup:

hectors house
02-03-2015, 04:40 PM
I use Tapestry on-line learning journal so I do link every observation into EYFS statements and I can call up a snapshot (summary) whenever I like to check that I'm not missing out any areas.

lpatters
02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
I use Tapestry on-line learning journal so I do link every observation into EYFS statements and I can call up a snapshot (summary) whenever I like to check that I'm not missing out any areas.

I've been looking into Tapestry and I must admit, I like the look of it. So I take it by doing it this way, you don't need to do any extra tracking? Can you do 2 year progress on this system?

How often do you do observations?

hectors house
02-03-2015, 10:22 PM
I take photos every day - some I link into EYFS statements, some are just photos of children enjoying themselves playing with friends. Yes I can use Tapestry to do 2 year checks - it tells you what age/stage the child is in each section and sub section of Early Years outcomes/ Development matters - I add a few sentences on what the child likes / can do and Tapestry comes up with a few suggestions for next steps (which I can use or add my own).

lpatters
25-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I take photos every day - some I link into EYFS statements, some are just photos of children enjoying themselves playing with friends. Yes I can use Tapestry to do 2 year checks - it tells you what age/stage the child is in each section and sub section of Early Years outcomes/ Development matters - I add a few sentences on what the child likes / can do and Tapestry comes up with a few suggestions for next steps (which I can use or add my own).

I've just purchased Tapestry and have set up my 2 year old daughter as a child. I've practiced doing a few obvs and slowly getting used to it. So when you do your planning from next steps, how do you record this. Is it something we can do on tapestry or do you do it another way?

Sammy Jo T
22-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I've just purchased Tapestry and have set up my 2 year old daughter as a child. I've practiced doing a few obvs and slowly getting used to it. So when you do your planning from next steps, how do you record this. Is it something we can do on tapestry or do you do it another way?

Ipatters did you get an answer to your question in the end? I was just wondering the same thing.

lpatters
22-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Hi sammy Jo t. Thecway I think I'm going to do it is this. Print off a childs next steps every term and then do a weekly (using paceys weekly planner) to plan around the next steps to make sure we cover all of the next steps. Does that make sense? I hope I'm doing it correctly x