PDA

View Full Version : Mobile librarys

mumofone
01-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Just wondering whether anyone attends these with children? Do they make a good trip with the children? Do you risk assess the outing?

lpatters
01-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I haven't come across a mobile library in our area but we do have our local library which I take my 2 year old to once a week for rhyme time. She loves it. I also take my older daughter now and again for books.
Once I have children to look after, I will be using the library a lot more. And I will do a risk assessment. I'm also going to join the toy library :o

Maza
01-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Of course they make a good trip for little ones. As well as being able to get some fantastic books for their Literacy development they will also be learning about how communities work and about different jobs that people do. You will probably also find that your older toddlers and pre-schoolers will role play libraries when they get back! Working with children is all about giving them as many varied opportunities in life as you can, and absolutely making the most of all that your local area has to offer. You will be modelling how to interact politely with other members of the community and showing them how libraries work/are organised. I have a very noisy three year old at the moment and one of his targets is to learn when he needs to modify his behaviour - we visit the library most weeks and he knows that it would not be appropriate to charge around and talk at the top of his voice in there (lasts about 30 seconds). My mindees are also getting comfortable with asking the librarian for help if they are looking for a particular type of book. They can scan their own books (with just a tiny bit of help) and so they are gaining independence and learning about technology. They are also learning the days of the week as they know that library day is Tuesday.

I used to visit a mobile library with one of my reception classes years ago and they loved it. Yes, risk assess it. Once you have done a risk assessment for it you won't have to do it again.

blue bear
01-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Where we lived before we had a mobile library come to the bottom of our street, the children loved going, the librarian was lovely,he picked up on what the children's interests/likes were and would pick up books the children might like from the big library and bring them along. The timings were always a bit random but we would spot it most weeks.
It was a real shame we were the only 'family' that used it and when we moved they stopped it, turned out no one else on our estate even knew we had a mobile library visit every Tuesday.

tulip0803
01-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Yes we go to the mobile library. The little ones love it. It stops outside my neighbours 2 doors down and then the local family centre so I can go to it in either place. Comes once every 4 weeks unless it breaks down! Not a massive selection of children's books books they always find some we had w Disney princess book for about 8 months last year as they kept asking for it again. Out bus has steps and he closes the door and puts a rail across but to be honest they would fall under the rail and down the steps so I stand by steps to stop them. 14 miles to their standard library for me.

loocyloo
01-03-2015, 01:56 PM
I used to use a mobile library before I moved and it was great. The librarian knew all the children and would find books for them.
Ours had steps and a rail, but the librarian would move a book box accross the entrance so no one escaped!
Now I have a library close by so don't use a mobile one.

Mouse
01-03-2015, 04:02 PM
I used to love our mobile library. It was such a shame when they stopped it, but we do have 2 libraries close by now so use those instead.

bunyip
01-03-2015, 06:58 PM
YEs, we use ours regularly.

The biggest risk seems to be the steep steps. Though the driver-brarian is jolly good at putting the gate across the top, it is then often left open by the old dears who get on later whilst he is busy (usually by my mother-in-law :angry: .)

mumofone
01-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Would you guys happily park a buggy outside the library and carry any babies/non walkers up into the library? I'm in a small village so hoping no one will trot off with my buggy!!

bunyip
01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Would you guys happily park a buggy outside the library and carry any babies/non walkers up into the library? I'm in a small village so hoping no one will trot off with my buggy!!

I'd cycle-lock it to the library van bumper. Not like the vehicle's going anywhere for the duration.

Then again, there's probably a regulation against that.............................:(

mumofone
01-03-2015, 09:31 PM
I'd cycle-lock it to the library van bumper. Not like the vehicle's going anywhere for the duration. Then again, there's probably a regulation against that.............................:(

Lol I hadn't thought of that, thank you! ;-)

FloraDora
01-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Yes, ours comes once a month- the librarian knows the children well and talks to them about books they would like. Mine sit down at the bottom end and just take books off shelves and read on the floor before choosing....not a big choice but I like that, they always find something they like. All the elderly people love watching them, chat and ask about their book choice....I then encourage them to talk about why they chose it.
Lovely way of mixing in the community. After we go to our community cafe , around the corner, deliver our contribution to the food bank there and perfect children look at their books over a free drink and biscuit. It's a lovely morning activity.

Like Bunyip says the steps are the biggest problem, mine find it difficult to come down - they are a bit wary which keeps them away from them whilst we are in the van.

bunyip
02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Btw, ask at your library if they will issue a "childminder's ticket'. Some library services do this, others don't, and the terms are different according to each LA.

My LA does one. It means I can have another ticket as well as my private one. I can borrow an additional 2 dozen books on it. I get a 3 month loan period instead of the usual 3 weeks. It used to be a year's loan on a CM ticket, but I think they lost too many books.

mumofone
02-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Btw, ask at your library if they will issue a "childminder's ticket'. Some library services do this, others don't, and the terms are different according to each LA. My LA does one. It means I can have another ticket as well as my private one. I can borrow an additional 2 dozen books on it. I get a 3 month loan period instead of the usual 3 weeks. It used to be a year's loan on a CM ticket, but I think they lost too many books.

Thanks bunyip I'll definitely ask :-)

Maza
02-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Btw, ask at your library if they will issue a "childminder's ticket'. Some library services do this, others don't, and the terms are different according to each LA.

My LA does one. It means I can have another ticket as well as my private one. I can borrow an additional 2 dozen books on it. I get a 3 month loan period instead of the usual 3 weeks. It used to be a year's loan on a CM ticket, but I think they lost too many books.

Yes, our library does it too. It's fantastic isn't it? I think we have a duty to borrow books from our libraries as that is what they use to decide how 'effective' the libraries are in each area. The 'least effective' ones are more vulnerable to cuts/closure. Our librarians desperately promote the borrowing of as many books as you can each time we go. Our library is always pretty busy but not everyone borrows books any more - they are there to use the computers, photocopiers etc. Dozens of people turn up to Rhyme Time and Story Time each week and then leave straight afterwards. The library was a constant in my childhood and I would hate it not to be part of the next generations lives.

clareelizabeth1
02-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Lock ur parm with a bike lock. I also lock my seats to the frame but then Iam very untrusting of strangers I grew up in a bad part of London

bunyip
02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Yes, our library does it too. It's fantastic isn't it? I think we have a duty to borrow books from our libraries as that is what they use to decide how 'effective' the libraries are in each area. The 'least effective' ones are more vulnerable to cuts/closure. Our librarians desperately promote the borrowing of as many books as you can each time we go. Our library is always pretty busy but not everyone borrows books any more - they are there to use the computers, photocopiers etc. Dozens of people turn up to Rhyme Time and Story Time each week and then leave straight afterwards. The library was a constant in my childhood and I would hate it not to be part of the next generations lives.

You must live near me. Our libraries have largely turned into subsidised internet cafes for degenerate freeloaders too. :(

And another thing.............. when did it become normal for idiots to hold mobile phone shouting contests in libraries? :mad:

Maza
03-03-2015, 04:42 PM
You must live near me. Our libraries have largely turned into subsidised internet cafes for degenerate freeloaders too. :(

And another thing.............. when did it become normal for idiots to hold mobile phone shouting contests in libraries? :mad:

I know. My hubby went there to study for an exam and couldn't believe how noisy it was - in particular one librarian who wasn't leading by example.

Lord help us when my noisy mindee gets his first mobile phone.