PDA

View Full Version : Are you "outstanding" and why?!

mumofone
28-02-2015, 07:59 PM
I was just wondering for those that have been marked as outstanding (well done by the way!!) by OFSTED whether they know why you were marked so? What dyou think impressed your inspector on the day about your practice/setting? X

FloraDora
28-02-2015, 08:19 PM
It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents...
My report can be found here:

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.php?q=filedownloading/&id=2453454&type=1&refer=0

lollipop kid
28-02-2015, 08:30 PM
It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents...

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.php?q=filedownloading/&id=2453454&type=1&refer=0

Terrific report, FloraDora. You should be really proud.

I wish I lived closer to you to come and see first-hand what your Outstanding setting looks like!

Wishing you tons of continued success. :thumbsup:

All the best,

L

mumofone
28-02-2015, 08:54 PM
It's difficult to say what one thing ...I think it's an all round practise ...but my inspection felt like it was all about the way I taught, how well the children responded and how I knew them and planned for their next step progress, involving their parents... My report can be found here: http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.php?q=filedownloading/&id=2453454&type=1&refer=0

Wow flora what an amazing report! That's the best I've ever read! You must be so proud :-) :-) x

AliceK
28-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Fantastic report, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I have family live in Tamworth, well Warton and Austrey actually. I used to live in Birchmoor.

xxx

Ripeberry
28-02-2015, 10:44 PM
I had my first inspection in March 2010. I had done an SEF and on the day had no idea what to expect and was a nervous wreck to tell the truth. It was six months from when I first started to mind and I only had one child (aged 18 months). I'll go through the inspection: She arrived at 9am and I asked to see her ID on the doorstep, I then asked her to sign the diary to show that she was a visitor.
She then wanted the loo and I showed her where it was (downstairs), she came in and sat at my dining room table where I had brought the whole filing box for her to look through. I had all my policies, documents, permissions, photos.
She sat down at the table and asked me to carry on.
Mindee was quite nervous and as the weather was nice we went outside to look at the chickens. We played some games with the gravel (making it run down drainpipes), played on the play equipment.
It was snack time and I said that we always watch Cbeebies. I put the TV on and talked to mindee about what was going on the screen. I kept expecting to be asked lots of questions, but I had said everything in my SEF.
The Ofsted inspector seemed to be checking what I had said with what she could see.
In the end she only stayed 2 and half hours and at the end she seemed 'agitated'.
She told me that she loved my paperwork (I did work in insurance for 14 years), and that it was the best she had ever seen. I was given my grad (Oustanding) and that I was the first person to be given it as a first grade!
I hugged an Ofsted inspector!

I know I won't get that grade again. It was a fluke. I'm sure it was. There is not much call for CMs in my area and lots of fellow CMs do so much more than me. I will be giving it up in late July. But I'll always be proud of myself for being a 'Paperwork freak'. I still have the child, he is now 6 years old.
I'm due an inspection any day and will still be nervous!

The key is to be 'different', be yourself and know your child (ren). :thumbsup:

lollipop kid
28-02-2015, 11:07 PM
I had my first inspection in March 2010. I had done an SEF and on the day had no idea what to expect and was a nervous wreck to tell the truth. It was six months from when I first started to mind and I only had one child (aged 18 months). I'll go through the inspection: She arrived at 9am and I asked to see her ID on the doorstep, I then asked her to sign the diary to show that she was a visitor.
She then wanted the loo and I showed her where it was (downstairs), she came in and sat at my dining room table where I had brought the whole filing box for her to look through. I had all my policies, documents, permissions, photos.
She sat down at the table and asked me to carry on.
Mindee was quite nervous and as the weather was nice we went outside to look at the chickens. We played some games with the gravel (making it run down drainpipes), played on the play equipment.
It was snack time and I said that we always watch Cbeebies. I put the TV on and talked to mindee about what was going on the screen. I kept expecting to be asked lots of questions, but I had said everything in my SEF.
The Ofsted inspector seemed to be checking what I had said with what she could see.
In the end she only stayed 2 and half hours and at the end she seemed 'agitated'.
She told me that she loved my paperwork (I did work in insurance for 14 years), and that it was the best she had ever seen. I was given my grad (Oustanding) and that I was the first person to be given it as a first grade!
I hugged an Ofsted inspector!

I know I won't get that grade again. It was a fluke. I'm sure it was. There is not much call for CMs in my area and lots of fellow CMs do so much more than me. I will be giving it up in late July. But I'll always be proud of myself for being a 'Paperwork freak'. I still have the child, he is now 6 years old.
I'm due an inspection any day and will still be nervous!

The key is to be 'different', be yourself and know your child (ren). :thumbsup:

I'm sure it wasn't a fluke. Sad you're leaving!

L

mumofone
01-03-2015, 07:13 AM
I had my first inspection in March 2010. I had done an SEF and on the day had no idea what to expect and was a nervous wreck to tell the truth. It was six months from when I first started to mind and I only had one child (aged 18 months). I'll go through the inspection: She arrived at 9am and I asked to see her ID on the doorstep, I then asked her to sign the diary to show that she was a visitor. She then wanted the loo and I showed her where it was (downstairs), she came in and sat at my dining room table where I had brought the whole filing box for her to look through. I had all my policies, documents, permissions, photos. She sat down at the table and asked me to carry on. Mindee was quite nervous and as the weather was nice we went outside to look at the chickens. We played some games with the gravel (making it run down drainpipes), played on the play equipment. It was snack time and I said that we always watch Cbeebies. I put the TV on and talked to mindee about what was going on the screen. I kept expecting to be asked lots of questions, but I had said everything in my SEF. The Ofsted inspector seemed to be checking what I had said with what she could see. In the end she only stayed 2 and half hours and at the end she seemed 'agitated'. She told me that she loved my paperwork (I did work in insurance for 14 years), and that it was the best she had ever seen. I was given my grad (Oustanding) and that I was the first person to be given it as a first grade! I hugged an Ofsted inspector! I know I won't get that grade again. It was a fluke. I'm sure it was. There is not much call for CMs in my area and lots of fellow CMs do so much more than me. I will be giving it up in late July. But I'll always be proud of myself for being a 'Paperwork freak'. I still have the child, he is now 6 years old. I'm due an inspection any day and will still be nervous! The key is to be 'different', be yourself and know your child (ren). :thumbsup:

It doesn't sound like a fluke to me either, sounds like you very much deserve it! :-)

blue bear
01-03-2015, 07:53 AM
To be honest I've no idea why. I don't see myself as different to other childminders who have got good and I've never asked why. I'm always too focused on the children when the inspector is there and glad when it's all over. Can't see it happening again.

mumofone
01-03-2015, 07:55 AM
To be honest I've no idea why. I don't see myself as different to other childminders who have got good and I've never asked why. I'm always too focused on the children when the inspector is there and glad when it's all over. Can't see it happening again.

Did your report state why the inspector thought you deserved outstanding blue bear? I'm sure you will be awarded the same grade again :-)

blue bear
01-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Did your report state why the inspector thought you deserved outstanding blue bear? I'm sure you will be awarded the same grade again :-)

I can't do. Links, this is some of the last report hope thathelps, it's six years old and doesn't state this provider is outstanding because like they say this provider wasn't outstanding because if that makes sense.

The childminder offers an exciting, stimulating, child centred early years provision, where children are actively encouraged to be active, creative, independent learners. They have ownership of the setting as they each make their own decisions regarding the resources they wish to explore, either inside or outdoors. For example, one child decides to investigate a book within the cosy, well- resourced book corner, another decides to try 'magic painting' using a large sheet of paper that is spread on the floor, whilst a third child chooses to explore paint and later 'water paint' an outside wall. The childminder carefully follows the children's interests and they benefit from her active involvement in their play, such as whilst building a train track or when children decide to dance with coloured ribbons. She uses skilful questioning techniques to enhance and extend their learning, including when digging in the garden or experimenting with play dough. The childminder also plans a wide variety of practical play experiences to meet each child's developmental needs. She undertakes regular written observations and assessments of the children, which she uses, together with input from parents and other key early years providers, to plan the next steps in each child's learning. The written assessments are secured in the respective child's daily diaries to help keep parents informed about their child's progress. In addition, the childminder takes photographs of the children whilst engaged in activities. These are placed in the children's Learning Journey scrapbooks and carefully annotated with their links to the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum.
The children are very confident and settled in the provision. They behave well and benefit from the excellent role modelling demonstrated by the calm, caring childminder. The children have highly advanced self-care skills. They independently wash their hands before eating, spontaneously find a cloth in order to wipe down the slide and put on their own coats and boots prior to playing in the garden. The childminder places a high priority on children's safety. There is a range of measures in place to help protect children. Comprehensive risk assessments are in place, the premises are secure, gates prevent children accessing the stairs
4 This inspection was carried out under sections 49 and 50 of the Childcare Act 2006

mumofone
01-03-2015, 08:50 AM
I can't do. Links, this is some of the last report hope thathelps, it's six years old and doesn't state this provider is outstanding because like they say this provider wasn't outstanding because if that makes sense. The childminder offers an exciting, stimulating, child centred early years provision, where children are actively encouraged to be active, creative, independent learners. They have ownership of the setting as they each make their own decisions regarding the resources they wish to explore, either inside or outdoors. For example, one child decides to investigate a book within the cosy, well- resourced book corner, another decides to try 'magic painting' using a large sheet of paper that is spread on the floor, whilst a third child chooses to explore paint and later 'water paint' an outside wall. The childminder carefully follows the children's interests and they benefit from her active involvement in their play, such as whilst building a train track or when children decide to dance with coloured ribbons. She uses skilful questioning techniques to enhance and extend their learning, including when digging in the garden or experimenting with play dough. The childminder also plans a wide variety of practical play experiences to meet each child's developmental needs. She undertakes regular written observations and assessments of the children, which she uses, together with input from parents and other key early years providers, to plan the next steps in each child's learning. The written assessments are secured in the respective child's daily diaries to help keep parents informed about their child's progress. In addition, the childminder takes photographs of the children whilst engaged in activities. These are placed in the children's Learning Journey scrapbooks and carefully annotated with their links to the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum. The children are very confident and settled in the provision. They behave well and benefit from the excellent role modelling demonstrated by the calm, caring childminder. The children have highly advanced self-care skills. They independently wash their hands before eating, spontaneously find a cloth in order to wipe down the slide and put on their own coats and boots prior to playing in the garden. The childminder places a high priority on children's safety. There is a range of measures in place to help protect children. Comprehensive risk assessments are in place, the premises are secure, gates prevent children accessing the stairs 4 This inspection was carried out under sections 49 and 50 of the Childcare Act 2006

That's great blue boar - well done :-)

Ripeberry
01-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Here is the link to my report: Ofsted | EY387212 (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY387212)

mumofone
01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Here is the link to my report: Ofsted | EY387212 (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY387212)

This is fantastic ripeberry, it sounds like you thoroughly deserve your grade, I don't know why you think it was a fluke?! :-)

bunyip
01-03-2015, 07:12 PM
I got lucky. I had an inspector who spent most the day here because she was prepared to listen and ask questions. One who did not simply poise like a cobra waiting to strike when I made a mistake (like forgetting to A-bac the changing mat) but who realised I was nervous under 'exam conditions' and asked "did you forget anything that you'd normally do automatically." Bless her. One who took account of the fact that I had to give a lot of time to my granddaughter who was with me at the time and in bits because her parents had split up days earlier.

I got lucky. I was inspected earlier than I should've been. I had only a handful of children on roll, and only 1 mindee plus granddaughter present at the time. I wasn't having to juggle lots of trips to/from school/preschool etc. To put it another way, I wasn't actually meeting the complex needs of many families, and I was a long way from running a viable, sustainable business.

I got lucky. The emphasis for inspection at the time was very much about safety, care, paperwork. Having come from the rail industry this was all stuff that ran through my veins.

mumofone
01-03-2015, 07:44 PM
I got lucky. I had an inspector who spent most the day here because she was prepared to listen and ask questions. One who did not simply poise like a cobra waiting to strike when I made a mistake (like forgetting to A-bac the changing mat) but who realised I was nervous under 'exam conditions' and asked "did you forget anything that you'd normally do automatically." Bless her. One who took account of the fact that I had to give a lot of time to my granddaughter who was with me at the time and in bits because her parents had split up days earlier. I got lucky. I was inspected earlier than I should've been. I had only a handful of children on roll, and only 1 mindee plus granddaughter present at the time. I wasn't having to juggle lots of trips to/from school/preschool etc. To put it another way, I wasn't actually meeting the complex needs of many families, and I was a long way from running a viable, sustainable business. I got lucky. The emphasis for inspection at the time was very much about safety, care, paperwork. Having come from the rail industry this was all stuff that ran through my veins.

I don't think you simply "got lucky" bunyip I'm sure you deserved your grading :-)
What were the inspectors comments bunyip?

bunyip
01-03-2015, 07:52 PM
This is where some people will no doubt come to take "offence", but here goes, cos it needs saying. If I say it now whilst I've got the outstanding grade, then I can't be told to "shut up" or be accused of sour grapes in a year or 2 when I've been downgraded. If I'm going to be accused of anything then anyone is welcome to criticise me for taking advantage of the grade. I do put it in my advertising, simply because I've found it goes some way to counter the small amount of anti-male-CM prejudice I very occasionally encounter, and I have comments from parents to back up this defence.

For heaven's sake, don't set out to be graded 'outstanding'. Be the best you can for yourself, the children, the families. You can go rather wrong by chasing the grade.

There are a few too many CMs who get a bit smug and condescending about their grade and how much better they are than the rest. There is also an established pattern of 'outstanding' CMs basking in the "due reward for all their hard work" (as if nobody else worked as hard :confused:) and non-outstanding CMs saying their inspector was rubbish.

Fair dues, a lot of CMs work hard and a lot of inspection judgements seem very arbitrary or down to inspectors making up the rules as they go along: insistence on toy box labels, bans on sippy cups, etc. etc. The inspection system is a farce, and another nasty example of government league-table mentality taken way too far. Does it help parents find a truly suitable CM? Do we need different grades? Would this sort of classification be accepted in everyday life? How about re-testing drivers every 4 years, grading them and telling them which roads they can and can't use? Ridiculous.

Well, I'm the first to admit there are a lot of better CMs than me (probably better than I'll ever be) who will probably never get the outstanding tag.

I'm pretty darned sure I will not be 'outstanding' at my next inspection in spite of - in fact, I'm going to stick my neck out and say because of the fact I now do a better job of caring for children and meeting families' needs than I did when inspected. At that time I had 1 mindee present (plus my granddaughter who was in bits as her mum and dad split up days earlier). I had a good inspector who listened and didn't just look to find fault. She was interested in what I was capable of. There was quite an emphasis on training, safety, care, paperwork. That stuff runs through my veins, coming from the rail industry.

Now, I'm afraid it's all the University of Toddlerdom: education, education, edublo00dycation. Can they hold a pencil in the official State-sanctioned 'tripod grip'? Are they ready for school, even if school isn't ready for them? And are we promoting the ruling Party propaganda in the form of British Values, etc.?

Well I will be downgraded because I make too many trips to/from school/preschool, etc. because my clients don't need nursery-style 'sessions' where I tell them when to arrive/depart. Because I provide a home-setting, not a mini-nursery or hot-house to prepare them for school. Because they're allowed to finish meals in a relaxed manner with good conversation, not rush them to fit the 20-minute 'sittings' the village school will impose on them this September.

I will be downgraded because I no longer have the luxury of a 4 day week with a day free to attend pointless 'training' seminars run by LA pen-pushers who have to 'teach' us advanced courses in the bl33ding obvious, otherwise some manager might just notice how useless they are and recoup their unjustifiable salary in the next round of budget-driven redundancies.

I will be downgraded because I have still to catch up the backlog of paperwork which accumulated when I spent a year doing the pointless level 3 diploma tick-list.

I will be downgraded because I cannot demonstrate 'partnership' with other CMs locally. I left the local CM group because it was a bullying mafia-stylr cartel that tried to dictate what we supposedly self-employed CMs do, charge, our policies and practices, etc. and carve up all the local business in favour of the dominant long-standing members who, in the opinion of several parents I know, are not fit to look after a dog. Tbh, even if all the idiots and selfish ones had left and it's been just the nicer ones, I never quite saw how much 'development' we were supposed to derive from chats about shoes, Corrie, and Centerparcs (I can get quite enough banality of that sort in the playground. :yawning: )

bunyip
01-03-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't think you simply "got lucky" bunyip I'm sure you deserved your grading :-)
What were the inspectors comments bunyip?

With all due respect, and no offence, etc, that's a very nice and kind comment, but you can only be basing it on the flimsiest of evidence. Have we even met? (We may have..........a lot of my life is a blur once the cider kicks in. :rolleyes: )

Her comments centred around the fact that she'd like to have given me outstanding in all areas, but knew she'd already have trouble getting an overall outstanding past her manager's 'quality assurance' process for a first inspection with a CM who had no previous experience in the childcare sector (not true - I have nephews and used to babysit for the former Uruguayan Cultural Attache :D .)

So I got downgraded for diversity stuff cos she absolutely had to give me an area on which she could make suggestions for improvement. (There is a funny story to this, but I'm not going to push my luck..........................:rolleyes: )

I don't say this to blow my own trumpet. I say it because it proves what an absolute farce the inspection system is. :angry:

bunyip
01-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Just thinking outside the box. Could the ability to be graded 'outstanding' be carried genetically?

:idea:

There's only one sure way of testing this scientifically: breed an 'outstanding' male CM with an 'outstanding' female CM. :thank you:

Unfortunately, my favourite 'outstanding' female counterpart seems to be away. :huh:

If you're out there................................... :rolleyes:

blue bear
01-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Oh Bunyip you make me laugh :)

Suppose we just carry on, we do the best for the children and families and what will be on inspection day will be.

mumofone
01-03-2015, 09:33 PM
With all due respect, and no offence, etc, that's a very nice and kind comment, but you can only be basing it on the flimsiest of evidence. Have we even met? (We may have..........a lot of my life is a blur once the cider kicks in. :rolleyes: ) Her comments centred around the fact that she'd like to have given me outstanding in all areas, but knew she'd already have trouble getting an overall outstanding past her manager's 'quality assurance' process for a first inspection with a CM who had no previous experience in the childcare sector (not true - I have nephews and used to babysit for the former Uruguayan Cultural Attache :D .) So I got downgraded for diversity stuff cos she absolutely had to give me an area on which she could make suggestions for improvement. (There is a funny story to this, but I'm not going to push my luck..........................:rolleyes: ) I don't say this to blow my own trumpet. I say it because it proves what an absolute farce the inspection system is. :angry:

Bunyip you're so reserved and timid, I wish you'd speak your mind more ;-) We won't bite! :-)

Simona
02-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Excellent report Flora Dora
I was looking at the 4 areas that Ofsted grade at the moment and compared it with the 4 areas they will grade from Sept 2015

Same but worded differently to reflect the Common framework but Leadership and Management are now on the top of the grading list
Interesting!

bunyip
02-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Bunyip you're so reserved and timid, I wish you'd speak your mind more ;-) We won't bite! :-)

Oh really.............? :D

bunyip
02-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Just thinking outside the box. Could the ability to be graded 'outstanding' be carried genetically?

:idea:

There's only one sure way of testing this scientifically: breed an 'outstanding' male CM with an 'outstanding' female CM. :thank you:

Unfortunately, my favourite 'outstanding' female counterpart seems to be away. :huh:

If you're out there................................... :rolleyes:

Now, how's that for excellent timing ?!!!!!? :clapping:

Ripeberry
02-03-2015, 02:10 PM
With all due respect, and no offence, etc, that's a very nice and kind comment, but you can only be basing it on the flimsiest of evidence. Have we even met? (We may have..........a lot of my life is a blur once the cider kicks in. :rolleyes: )

Her comments centred around the fact that she'd like to have given me outstanding in all areas, but knew she'd already have trouble getting an overall outstanding past her manager's 'quality assurance' process for a first inspection with a CM who had no previous experience in the childcare sector (not true - I have nephews and used to babysit for the former Uruguayan Cultural Attache :D .)

So I got downgraded for diversity stuff cos she absolutely had to give me an area on which she could make suggestions for improvement. (There is a funny story to this, but I'm not going to push my luck..........................:rolleyes: )

I don't say this to blow my own trumpet. I say it because it proves what an absolute farce the inspection system is. :angry:

Very true Bunyip. That's why I say my grade is a 'fluke'. Many of my fellow CMs had lower grades but they did and still do , tons more stuff than I do or could ever imagine! I think at the end of the day, some inspectors make up their mind before they even set foot through the door and that is very, very wrong :(

Fitrix
02-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Very true Bunyip. That's why I say my grade is a 'fluke'. Many of my fellow CMs had lower grades but they did and still do , tons more stuff than I do or could ever imagine! I think at the end of the day, some inspectors make up their mind before they even set foot through the door and that is very, very wrong :(

I absolutely believe this was the case with our inspection. When we first got the call we requested a joint inspection (stupid not to) and the office told us a certain inspector (named to us would be out a certain week). When this inspector called she was most indignant that we already knew when she was coming. Queue snotty tone "no one has access to my private diary. I - and only I - dictate where and when I go." She then left us a month (yes a MONTH) before phoning again. She was very passive aggressive during the inspection and I believe didn't like the fact we didn't cow down to her. She gave us 'good' with ludicrously lame recommendations.
I know we are excellent childminders - our children and parents tell us every day. Ofsted's opinion when so unfairly based means diddly squat to us.

Mouse
02-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I think at the end of the day, some inspectors make up their mind before they even set foot through the door and that is very, very wrong :(

I think the was true with my inspector, but in as much as she'd already decided I was outstanding. She'd inspected me the time before and had read my (very comprehensive) SEF. She spent most of the inspection looking for evidence to back up what I'd written in my SEF. Admittedly, I did do everything I claimed to do and she could see proof of it, but there were examples that she picked up on as 'proof' which really were just accidental coincidences. For example, I got the play dough out, but couldn't find the tools. I bluffed, telling the children we were going to see what we could make just using our hands. She interpreted this as me providing an activity to help strengthen a child's hands (nursery had highlighted this child having weak hands) and praised me for it! Very nice of her, but it wasn't intentional at all. I was just trying to cover up my lack of organisation!
Rather than looking for reasons to mark me down, she was definitely looking for reasons to give me outstanding. It was nice to get, but a lot to live up to. I'll be disappointed not to get it again, but it will be a bit of a relief :thumbsup:

loocyloo
02-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Excellent report Flora Dora
I was looking at the 4 areas that Ofsted grade at the moment and compared it with the 4 areas they will grade from Sept 2015

Same but worded differently to reflect the Common framework but Leadership and Management are now on the top of the grading list
Interesting!

Leadership and management? Huh!
I lead and manage myself!

bunyip
03-03-2015, 07:56 PM
A quick guide on how to fast-track your way to outstanding. At all times remember: the only person that matters in the Ofsted Inspectre.

1. Filch all your policies and paperwork from an experienced CM. Put your business logo on to make them uniquely yours.

2. Attend lots of playgroups, your local CM group and the local children's centre for just long enough to provide proof of 'partnership working'. The children's centre will give you a nice letter and the CM group will give you lots of coffee and toast and bad advice.

3. Stick lots of pictures on the wall. Some should be painted (poorly) by children. The rest should be an assortment of people of lots of different colours, making extensive use of an assortment of crutches, white sticks, wheelchairs and other mobility aids. Make sure some people are holding hands with members of their own sex.................and smiling, LOTS of smiling. :D

4. Attend as many training courses as possible. Don't worry if you learn nothing: this is normal. Remember, you're only there for the certificate.

5. Learn all the key phrases: partnership with parents, baseline assessment, continuous professional development, flexibility, British Values, learning, next steps, etc. etc. You will need to say these to your inspector as frequently as possible: they don't understand normal language.

6. Purchase a large selection of academic-looking books on child development and display these prominently. Don't worry: you will never be required to read them.

7. Stick a no-smoking sign in your hall, adjacent to another which says "welcome" in 47 languages which will never be spoken within 50 miles of your address. Add the Ofsted contact details poster (the one with the bored-looking 'diversity' children sitting by a headless nursery-worker on a blue carpet covered in what appears to be a mercilessly-destroyed white sliced loaf.) Ensure these are all laminated, or you will be graded 'inadequate'.

8. Get hold of a good 'parent feedback questionnaire' (see item 1, above.) Make several copies. Get all your bestest friends to fill these in for you. Nicely.

9. Oh yes: children (nearly forgot). Recruit as few children as possible. Interview lots, take on only the brightest and best-behaved. Ensure their parents do not work shifts or other difficult hours that might interrupt your routine. Remember, it's your routine: not the parents', definitely not the children's - it's yours. Don't let anyone muck about with it over the petty demands of their jobs, family life, etc. . Parents must also be totally passive and subservient to the needs of your setting. They will be required to complete toddler homework, make 'positive' comments about your setting, etc. etc. without fail. They must do what they are told when they are told how they are told, first time, every time (this is referred to as 'partnership working'.) Remember to refer to them as "parents" or "clients" but it may help to simply think of them as "stooges".

10. Almost there............... Now, start your 'learning and development' records. You must describe each child's starting point (that's "baseline assessment" to us 'professionals') as if the child was plucked from a Ceausescu-era Romanian orphanage by parents who decided to leave the smart ones behind and pick the kid they felt most sorry for. The lower you set that bar, the higher you can 'prove' you've raised it. Don't overdo this. Easy to prove you're the world's best teacher-childminder (you can even buy yourself a coffee mug with that on, and make out it was a present from the lo's) but don't go writing down that they came to you with no legs and now they can walk. 'Outstanding' is one thing; Messianic miracle-working can be a difficult one to get past even the dumbest inspectre.

11. And finally.............. be useless. The worst thing you can possibly be in the eyes of an inspectre is perfect, capable, or even competent. If you're any good, how on earth do you expect to be able to provide evidence of continuous improvement? Stands to reason, don't it? :huh:

Or, alternatively................ we could all just try to be the best CMs we can be for the children, for the families and flick a contemptuous 'V' in Ofsted's direction to say we care about children more than they ever could. ;)

lollipop kid
03-03-2015, 08:10 PM
A quick guide on how to fast-track your way to outstanding. At all times remember: the only person that matters in the Ofsted Inspectre.

Or, alternatively................ we could all just try to be the best CMs we can be for the children, for the families and flick a contemptuous 'V' in Ofsted's direction to say we care about children more than they ever could. ;)

Loving your post, Bunyip! Keep 'em coming.

I've found a poster which reads: "I'm going to stand outside. If anyone asks, I'm out standing".

Works for me!

:D

L

mumofone
03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
A quick guide on how to fast-track your way to outstanding. At all times remember: the only person that matters in the Ofsted Inspectre. 1. Filch all your policies and paperwork from an experienced CM. Put your business logo on to make them uniquely yours. 2. Attend lots of playgroups, your local CM group and the local children's centre for just long enough to provide proof of 'partnership working'. The children's centre will give you a nice letter and the CM group will give you lots of coffee and toast and bad advice. 3. Stick lots of pictures on the wall. Some should be painted (poorly) by children. The rest should be an assortment of people of lots of different colours, making extensive use of an assortment of crutches, white sticks, wheelchairs and other mobility aids. Make sure some people are holding hands with members of their own sex.................and smiling, LOTS of smiling. :D 4. Attend as many training courses as possible. Don't worry if you learn nothing: this is normal. Remember, you're only there for the certificate. 5. Learn all the key phrases: partnership with parents, baseline assessment, continuous professional development, flexibility, British Values, learning, next steps, etc. etc. You will need to say these to your inspector as frequently as possible: they don't understand normal language. 6. Purchase a large selection of academic-looking books on child development and display these prominently. Don't worry: you will never be required to read them. 7. Stick a no-smoking sign in your hall, adjacent to another which says "welcome" in 47 languages which will never be spoken within 50 miles of your address. Add the Ofsted contact details poster (the one with the bored-looking 'diversity' children sitting by a headless nursery-worker on a blue carpet covered in what appears to be a mercilessly-destroyed white sliced loaf.) Ensure these are all laminated, or you will be graded 'inadequate'. 8. Get hold of a good 'parent feedback questionnaire' (see item 1, above.) Make several copies. Get all your bestest friends to fill these in for you. Nicely. 9. Oh yes: children (nearly forgot). Recruit as few children as possible. Interview lots, take on only the brightest and best-behaved. Ensure their parents do not work shifts or other difficult hours that might interrupt your routine. Remember, it's your routine: not the parents', definitely not the children's - it's yours. Don't let anyone muck about with it over the petty demands of their jobs, family life, etc. . Parents must also be totally passive and subservient to the needs of your setting. They will be required to complete toddler homework, make 'positive' comments about your setting, etc. etc. without fail. They must do what they are told when they are told how they are told, first time, every time (this is referred to as 'partnership working'.) Remember to refer to them as "parents" or "clients" but it may help to simply think of them as "stooges". 10. Almost there............... Now, start your 'learning and development' records. You must describe each child's starting point (that's "baseline assessment" to us 'professionals') as if the child was plucked from a Ceausescu-era Romanian orphanage by parents who decided to leave the smart ones behind and pick the kid they felt most sorry for. The lower you set that bar, the higher you can 'prove' you've raised it. Don't overdo this. Easy to prove you're the world's best teacher-childminder (you can even buy yourself a coffee mug with that on, and make out it was a present from the lo's) but don't go writing down that they came to you with no legs and now they can walk. 'Outstanding' is one thing; Messianic miracle-working can be a difficult one to get past even the dumbest inspectre. 11. And finally.............. be useless. The worst thing you can possibly be in the eyes of an inspectre is perfect, capable, or even competent. If you're any good, how on earth do you expect to be able to provide evidence of continuous improvement? Stands to reason, don't it? :huh: Or, alternatively................ we could all just try to be the best CMs we can be for the children, for the families and flick a contemptuous 'V' in Ofsted's direction to say we care about children more than they ever could. ;)

Lol bunyip, you're in the wrong job, you should write a column! Too funny!

Now forgive me, I'm off to do all of the above ;-)

k1rstie
04-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Sadly true!! Don't forget to add to number 4, that you only attend training for the certificate, AND the CPD hours. I know two childminder who attended the same course two years running because they needed to do 12 hours training per year

mama2three
04-03-2015, 08:24 AM
This one lollipop ?

loocyloo
04-03-2015, 09:10 AM
This one lollipop ?

I want this! Fantastic :-)

lollipop kid
04-03-2015, 09:14 AM
This one lollipop ?

Yeah!!! I think we should all have this.

(It makes me smiles every day!) Hope my next inspector has a sense of humour!

:laughing:

L

JCrakers
04-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Truthfully I don't want to be outstanding because it stands for everything I'm against. I had everything perfect and have 20yrs of childcare experience to be told 'I cant be outstanding because I don't network'

I've worked so hard over the past 7.5yrs to achieve it and 2 statements my inspector said to me made me lose faith in the whole system.

'Only nurseries get outstanding and have more chance to achieve it because they have large networks and children with SEN ' What more can I say :rolleyes: Its laughable. :laughing:

I'm not trying for Outstanding anymore. If I get it then fab but if not i'm not really interested. There's more to life, like the parents and children's happiness

Ripeberry
04-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Truthfully I don't want to be outstanding because it stands for everything I'm against. I had everything perfect and have 20yrs of childcare experience to be told 'I cant be outstanding because I don't network'

I've worked so hard over the past 7.5yrs to achieve it and 2 statements my inspector said to me made me lose faith in the whole system.

'Only nurseries get outstanding and have more chance to achieve it because they have large networks and children with SEN ' What more can I say :rolleyes: Its laughable. :laughing:

I'm not trying for Outstanding anymore. If I get it then fab but if not i'm not really interested. There's more to life, like the parents and children's happiness

Very true!

Simona
04-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Leadership and management? Huh!
I lead and manage myself!

Too right you do as do all cms....one set of shoulders bearing the weight of it all...try explaining this to other providers who sometimes look blank when I explain!

On another subject...it would be really useful to separate OFSTED from the Tribal/Prospect inspectors...the 2 are not the same
Ofsted tendered the inspection to 2 private companies...we can work out the reasons for ourselves.
The real Ofsted inspectors do not go anywhere near cms....as you know other settings get re-inspected by Ofsted when they receive RI/Inadequate but not Cms...they won't include us in that rethink
I leave it to you to work out why but I would also encourage you to raise that as a concern

Many cms here would have known the system when Ofsted took over
Things have gone really bad in the past ...but...Ofsted have acknowledged their shortcomings and via the OBC brought to account
We achieved a lot including the rethinking of complaint driven inspections and much more via those meetings.

I wonder if any cm has ever spoken to a Tribal/Prospect inspector? or an ex Ofsted inspector? do you know any?
I see and speak to a few...they are normal people and they too have anxieties when inspecting...many really like inspecting cms and our unique practice

Unfortunately many cms becoming very much against Ofsted and being really scared of the inspectorate and that is driving some in the arms of agencies....check that out if you can.

Outstanding...a grade can mean a lot to some cms and very little to others as long as it is not below Good...how it is achieved is really up to us but I doubt some of the reasons given here are true of cms

Why are we belittling cms and the O grade?
Also let's not forget that any grade awarded by Tribal/Prospect has to be endorsed by Ofsted Quality Assurance...why? are they not trained well enough for their judgement to be accepted?
Before the arrival of Ofsted we did not have grades ...just very good inspections from Social Services....those were the people who we could not fool regardless of the number of training we attended or whatever else is listed below.

However I do think that the O grade is becoming important to parents and a factor in the 'childcare market'..no surprise there unfortunately
getting an O grade does not mean there is no room for improvement...on the contrary.
It is Ofsted who introduced the Outstanding Logo...some settings use it for marketing...others do not ...can't recall Social Services giving a logo but if parents approached them for recommendations it was a genuine one...much better than any cheap logo

Personally I do not recognise any of the listed reasons below that give us an Outstanding...some providers really work hard to achieve that and it needs to be respected because it is important to them...others accumulate certificates and training and basically never learn anything and move on...that will come out in an inspection
Working with children is much more that getting an O grade...I would be the first to vote for the grading to go and all that it entails.

We do differ in opinions of course but what matters is positivity and getting involved...nothing will ever change if all we do is criticise and never put our hand up to be heard!

I would like to attend a meeting/conference in the near future with 'hundreds' of cms raising their worries ...not just the usual faces that appear all the time.

hectors house
04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
I have to admit that I am guilty of "slightly" engineering my Outstanding grade - I researched my inspector, found out what she was "picky" on and made sure I included phrases in my SEF on these things to make sure she couldn't pick me up on them - I really did do these things and had observations and photos playing on a digital photo frame to proof it but really wanted to emphasis them.

I also used some techniques gained from many years of watching house makeover and how to sell your house programmes - I set the scene that children could do outdoor reading by putting the garden bench on the deck, with a blanket, comfy cushions and box of books beside it. When in reality although there is normally a box of books in the summer house the children rarely look at them (I did leave the bench and book box on the deck for a week but as they didn't look at them I moved it back into the garden/summer house).

I also said in my SEF that I had re-registered in 2005 and was graded good, the EYFS was introduced in 2008 and I jumped through hoops but was still graded Good in 2009, in 2012 & 2014 the EYFS changed again, I jumped through every higher and smaller hoops and that this time I had graded myself Outstanding - and the inspector agreed.

Kiddleywinks
04-03-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't want an 'outstanding' either... I too have very little faith in the grading system used.

I've seen 'inadequate/needs improvement' childcare providers do a far better job for the children in their care than others graded 'good' or 'outstanding'
If we know of and can see the 'inconsistencies' then how can we have faith in the system?

I worry for any outstanding provider - how do prospective parents view a provider that 'loses' that grade on their next inspection? Current parents will obviously stand by minder, and be vocal about the injustice, but a few years down the line, when these supportive parents have left and it's new ones searching out inspection reports, does it have an effect later?

I don't mean loosing it through any wrongdoing on the providers behalf, but because the 'goal posts' keep getting moved about and whilst a provider excelled when paperwork was the focus, suddenly paperwork is less of an issue and 'teaching' is, or 'management' or having windmills in the garden...

I take my hat off to anyone that manages to get through ANY inspection in one piece these days :laughing:

lozzy23
04-03-2015, 01:47 PM
I don't want an 'outstanding' either... I too have very little faith in the grading system used.

I've seen 'inadequate/needs improvement' childcare providers do a far better job for the children in their care than others graded 'good' or 'outstanding'
If we know of and can see the 'inconsistencies' then how can we have faith in the system?

I worry for any outstanding provider - how do prospective parents view a provider that 'loses' that grade on their next inspection? Current parents will obviously stand by minder, and be vocal about the injustice, but a few years down the line, when these supportive parents have left and it's new ones searching out inspection reports, does it have an effect later?

I don't mean loosing it through any wrongdoing on the providers behalf, but because the 'goal posts' keep getting moved about and whilst a provider excelled when paperwork was the focus, suddenly paperwork is less of an issue and 'teaching' is, or 'management' or having windmills in the garden...

I take my hat off to anyone that manages to get through ANY inspection in one piece these days :laughing:

HaHaHa (cue manic laughter), I have my Inspection this week, after 6 years and 1 month and I am terrified, I have lost 4lbs in weight since Friday and about 20 hours of much needed sleep. Everyone I know, the children I look after, their parents and other childminders I have contact with say I do a wonderful job. I have had a few tears over letters parents and children have written to the Inspector. I now just want it done and dusted and a GOOD grade will be fantastic:D

hectors house
04-03-2015, 04:58 PM
I completely stand by my comment of it depends on the inspector - I'm really angry that a childminding colleague who does far more than I do, has been childminding since 2009 (was graded Good) and has a fantastic background of working in a Nursery had her inspection this week and got Good - I've a good mind to e-mail them and tell them I don't want my Outstanding grade as this other minder deserves it far more than I do. My grade was a fluke - the right inspector and the right children on the right day. Doing a search on Ofsted inspection reports it would seem that the inspectors have all shuffled round, the inspector I had is now doing a town 10 miles away and this other inspector (who my friend had) has been doing own town since Xmas. Checking inspection reports this inspector has never given Outstanding and I doubt if she would know what it looked like if it bit her on the bum. :angry:

bunyip
04-03-2015, 08:40 PM

Ah, "networking".

Isn't that the bit where we attend a CMs groups so we can be told a load of rubbish about all the things we "have to" do by gormless twerps who are only there to steal our paperwork and pretend that's not their entire social life? :rolleyes:

Simona
04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Networking is not just attending the local groups or being told what to do by those in the EY dept
As ICM we know what we have to do and that is making our settings unique rather than being cloned into being all the same.
We connect this with the old cms networks...they do not exist anymore...some worked well because they were inclusive but the majority were just an elite club for the few.

Networking is now very wide and takes many shapes and forms...depends on who you want to join and how far you can spread your wings...there are opportunities to network with new organisations which have a variety of members...not just Cms..they will be local to all cms...take a look and see if they suit you.

Does anyone remember who said this in a recent article 'I would ask parents to put their child in a school not the local CM'?

Prove him wrong...for as long as grades are here at inspections aim for the best...challenge any inspector who says only nurseries get O...that is not true as statistics prove cms continue to raise their standards and with little help too.

In terms of teaching cms can be the best because our teaching looks at the whole child and areas of learning....some cms do not see themselves as teachers...try to 'embrace' the new 'label'

Don't sell yourselves short and prove we are worth to be on an equal level as nurseries :thumbsup:

lollipop kid
04-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Don't sell yourselves short and prove we are worth to be on an equal level as nurseries :thumbsup:

Thanks for this Simona. I'm with you on that one. I wanted to add that I actually believe personally that Childminders are better than Nurseries for children.

At least with Childminders, the same person that the parents meet when they first visit the setting is the one (or ones if you work with an assistant) caring for the child. They are the consistent person for that child during the child's time at the setting. We don't go on lunch breaks, end our shifts etc. during the child's day. In my case, I co-ordinate holiday with the parents, so there's no need for the children to go somewhere else for care while I'm away either. (In contrast to the key person at Nursery, who will probably have different holiday dates to the children - just guessing on this one.)

Many times, I've had children brought to me because they just weren't happy in the local (elite) Nursery. These same children have thrived with me and I am still in touch with them and their parents, even though they have moved on from my setting. I get a real buzz out of keeping up to date with how they are progressing. (I can do this because I only cover one school and that is the one that my son attends.)

I know many childminders locally and their commitment to their children is beautiful to see.

Long may we be allowed to continue.

:thumbsup:

L