PDA

View Full Version : Birthday presents

Snowwhite
28-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Do you all tend to buy a birthday present for every minded child? (No matter if they have been with you a short time or a long time?) it's one of those things where i have always bought for them even if it's something that's not too expensive, but then in the past some parents have said "oh you shouldn't have,but thank you very much, whilst other parents don't even seem that grateful. It then makes me think well perhaps i shouldn't have, plus i have my own kids. I know we can put the amount of money spent in our account book but where do you draw the line when it comes to presents? Same kind of thing goes for when a child is due to leave. Do you buy them a gift?

moggy
28-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I tend to have just 3-4 on my books so I like to get a nice present for birthdays.
If I had 10 on my books like so do then I am sure I would do differently!
My mindees families are also very generous with presents for us for xmas, birthdays etc

FloraDora
28-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Giving gifts is a purely personal thing.
My rule in life around presents is to give to who you want to, not spend a lot, as it's the thought that counts, not expect celebrations for my gift- it's me who gets the pleasure of giving, not give because others do.

On Tuesday one of my LO's will be 3 - I have chosen a gift for her that I know she will love, part bought and part made by me, I don't care what parents think, it's her pleasure that I am looking forward too.

Long ago I stopped 'keeping up with the jones's' in this area.

Do what you want to - not what the others do on here. There are no rules around gift giving.

cathtee
28-02-2015, 07:55 PM
I usually buy a top or some sort of item of clothing, normally spend about £5 per child, just had a delivery from Asda George for my lo's for March-May so organised :)

loocyloo
28-02-2015, 08:29 PM
I buy all mindees a little something for their birthdays; something I know they will like/be interested in.

x

Chimps Childminding
28-02-2015, 09:14 PM
I do, but I try and buy things in the sale so they get a more expensive gift, but I haven't spent lots. A lo we have is 2 this week and we bought him an emergency set half price in the Argos sale after Christmas as he loves vehicles at the moment!

Jiorjiina
01-03-2015, 12:18 AM
I buy them something for their birthdays and Christmas, and on leaving.

I try to keep between £5 - 10 at most (I also only have a couple of children on my books), and try and get a little something related to their current interest. This last christmas, I bought the older ones a thunderbirds cross sections book each from a second hand books website, and made them a thunderbirds t shirt each (cheap t-shirt, transfer paper and a printer). Total was under £5 each, and they were over the moon. As a side bonus, their dads and granddads were also thrilled with the books too!

I also get mindees something when they get a new sibling. I've only had this a couple of times, so it's not often. One parent was really pleased, the other was definitely more 'Oh you shouldn't have', but I think it's nice for mindees to get something of their own when they're surrounded by the baby's presents!

I also bought one schoolie mindee a football book for his birthday even though he'd only been coming a couple of weeks, and it turned out that I was the only person (not just the only adult, the only person) outside of him immediate family to get him anything. It was just a cheapie book from The Works, but he was so pleased.

Snowwhite
01-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks all