PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Baby Risk Assessment

lpatters
28-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Does anyone do a RA for a sleeping baby? If so, what do you include on it?

I'm just trying to do all my RA's for my pre-reg visit on Tuesday. I have risked assessed every room in my house that will be used for CM and my garden. Do I need to do a RA for the rooms that wont be used? I've also done garden, car, park, walking outdoors. Can anyone suggest any I may have missed?

Jiorjiina
28-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I've done a risk assessment for a sleeping baby. You basically need to decide what the risks are (mainly things like cot death, etc) and then like the other what you have done/could do to reduce/eliminate them. I.e. use a baby monitor, make sure that bedding is in line with eu regulations, is checked regularly for damage, cleaned/sterilised regularly, and so on.

FloraDora
28-02-2015, 12:15 PM
In my cold induced lingering on the sofa Saturday morning this thread got me thinking ...I have a parent who is currently pregnant and is assuming I will have sibling when it arrives. I on the other hand am really happy and secure with 20 month plus but not sure if I want to look after a baby.
So, costs in mind aswell as RA's I started writing a list of things that I might need to invest in in order to care for this baby. EU regulation bedding is a good reminder!
I currently do not have a monitor. When LO's are asleep I sit on comfy favourite landing chair and write diaries, do obs, drink tea, all bedroom doors are open a little I can hear every cough and splutter, I am focussed on this role sitting there too. It also ensures I do sit down as on the odd occasion when I have gone downstairs and tidied etc..I don't feel refreshed the same. It also means I do not spend hours doing assessments, tracking , planning out of working hours.
I never had monitors for my own children, they didn't exist, so I am not in to the monitor essential thinking group.

What advantage would a monitor give me?

mumofone
28-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Does anyone do a RA for a sleeping baby? If so, what do you include on it? I'm just trying to do all my RA's for my pre-reg visit on Tuesday. I have risked assessed every room in my house that will be used for CM and my garden. Do I need to do a RA for the rooms that wont be used? I've also done garden, car, park, walking outdoors. Can anyone suggest any I may have missed?

Gosh I hadn't even considered this! A baby could sleep in a Moses basket in one of your minding rooms downstairs in your view, that would be safe wouldn't it?

FloraDora
28-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Gosh I hadn't even considered this! A baby could sleep in a Moses basket in one of your minding rooms downstairs in your view, that would be safe wouldn't it?

Depending on age then, since babies sleep throughout the day if I was putting upstairs for a sleep I would need a monitor for when others are playing ...unless I had a Moses basket type facility in a quiet area down stairs.

Getting organised for a baby needs much more thought......

Jiorjiina
28-02-2015, 11:49 PM
In my cold induced lingering on the sofa Saturday morning this thread got me thinking ...I have a parent who is currently pregnant and is assuming I will have sibling when it arrives. I on the other hand am really happy and secure with 20 month plus but not sure if I want to look after a baby.
So, costs in mind aswell as RA's I started writing a list of things that I might need to invest in in order to care for this baby. EU regulation bedding is a good reminder!
I currently do not have a monitor. When LO's are asleep I sit on comfy favourite landing chair and write diaries, do obs, drink tea, all bedroom doors are open a little I can hear every cough and splutter, I am focussed on this role sitting there too. It also ensures I do sit down as on the odd occasion when I have gone downstairs and tidied etc..I don't feel refreshed the same. It also means I do not spend hours doing assessments, tracking , planning out of working hours.
I never had monitors for my own children, they didn't exist, so I am not in to the monitor essential thinking group.

What advantage would a monitor give me?

The main advantage for a monitor comes when you have older children who are not napping as well as a baby who does nap. A couple of days in the week, I have a 9 month old and two (noisy) 3 year olds. In the afternoon they all have a sleep at mostly the same time, which is fine (also when I do my obs and paperwork too!). But in the morning, the littlest one still has a nap, while the older ones are playing or doing an activity. I use the monitor then so that I can stay with them but still be able to check on the baby. Mine is a video monitor, so I can actually see and hear the baby, which I find more helpful.

I think a moses basket is fine, because like you say, you can physically check them. I just find a monitor easy because then they can be somewhere a little quieter and not get woken up by the noisy ones!