PDA

View Full Version : Take on more children or charge retainer?

hectors house
27-02-2015, 05:10 PM
I currently have 6 EY children over the 4 days a week that I work

Child A - comes 1 day a week and is going to school Sept - finishing with me start of school hols (July)
Child B - comes 2 days a week and is dropping down to one day when he starts Nursery in April
Child C - comes 3 days a week is dropping down to 2 days in June when mum starts Maternity leave
Child D - comes 3 days a week, dropping down to one day in Sept when he starts Nursery (but mum finds out end of March if she is being made redundant)
Child E - comes 2 days a week, mum also finding out soon if her contract is being renewed - she doesn't think it will
Child F - is my grandson, comes one day a week for nothing

I have a new baby starting in October and in April 2016 need to increase back to 3 days for child whose mum on maternity leave, plus take on new baby brother - so by next April, I will be nearly back to full numbers (depending on how many mums get made redundant) - I don't know whether to charge new baby a retainer for her days as that's when the days she wants will become free, but I haven't ever charged a retainer before, but the future hasn't looked this bleak before. The days she wants may become free earlier depending on the redundancy situations but that isn't this mum's fault!

Or should I take on more children and just hope that I have a free space for new sibling baby in April or just have 4 under COC (sibling baby)?

lollipop kid
27-02-2015, 05:18 PM
I currently have 6 EY children over the 4 days a week that I work

Child A - comes 1 day a week and is going to school Sept - finishing with me start of school hols (July)
Child B - comes 2 days a week and is dropping down to one day when he starts Nursery in April
Child C - comes 3 days a week is dropping down to 2 days in June when mum starts Maternity leave
Child D - comes 3 days a week, dropping down to one day in Sept when he starts Nursery (but mum finds out end of March if she is being made redundant)
Child E - comes 2 days a week, mum also finding out soon if her contract is being renewed - she doesn't think it will
Child F - is my grandson, comes one day a week for nothing

I have a new baby starting in October and in April 2016 need to increase back to 3 days for child whose mum on maternity leave, plus take on new baby brother - so by next April, I will be nearly back to full numbers (depending on how many mums get made redundant) - I don't know whether to charge new baby a retainer for her days as that's when the days she wants will become free, but I haven't ever charged a retainer before, but the future hasn't looked this bleak before. The days she wants may become free earlier depending on the redundancy situations but that isn't this mum's fault!

Or should I take on more children and just hope that I have a free space for new sibling baby in April or just have 4 under COC (sibling baby)?

I would just fill the spaces you've got available now as people ask for them. Then reassess as and when all the changes hit. (Otherwise, you might just get left out to dry.) I've found in the past that there is always someone near you who you could line up as an Assistant - even part-time - if you need it. (I did that with my assistant - I signed her up months before I actually needed her, then when I was ready, and I had the 'suitable person' letter from Ofsted, we just went for it. She only works with me two days a week, but it gives me greater flexibility and a lot of peace of mind. I have another lady who just does mornings with me. It helps her, and it helps me. If I was you, I'd start lining something like this up now if you can.)

I try to avoid "Continuity of Care" if I can, hence why I use an assistant. (I hate having to rely on Ofsted, when everything with them seems to change according to what kind of night's sleep the inspector had!!)

Hope it works out for you. I don't know how it works out (for me that is), but it always does!

:thumbsup:

L

loocyloo
27-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I too, would fill spaces as you have them, if people ask and then work out what you need to do when the time comes to have sibling babe!

I'm currently more or less full ( plus 4 on 2 days ), but I know I have 1 leaving for school in September, and 1 maybe 2 leaving to for nursery in September ... BUT a LO who is currently doing half a day whilst mum is on maternity leave, will be returning 3 days plus baby sibling probably Jan 16! .... I can't get my head round any of it and so am not going to worry! I may well need an assistant at some point but I hope not! I really don't want an assistant!

hectors house
27-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the advice Lollipop Kid - think I will look to take on more children and then deal with spaces for sibling baby afterwards - I'm not too worried about COC for this one as at least the EYFS guidance is clear on sibling babies. I have done a table in Word with days along the top and months down the side and put children's names and ages in boxes and when I have spaces coming available so at least if anyone phones I have a clearer picture of availability. Have just booked a cruise (only a 7 day one) so need to guarantee my income to pay for it. I e-mailed all parents to let them know that I would have spaces available if anyone (not going to school or Nursery) wanted to increase days and instead got back a reply about possible redundancy (which I wasn't expecting).

lollipop kid
27-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice Lollipop Kid - think I will look to take on more children and then deal with spaces for sibling baby afterwards - I'm not too worried about COC for this one as at least the EYFS guidance is clear on sibling babies. I have done a table in Word with days along the top and months down the side and put children's names and ages in boxes and when I have spaces coming available so at least if anyone phones I have a clearer picture of availability. Have just booked a cruise (only a 7 day one) so need to guarantee my income to pay for it. I e-mailed all parents to let them know that I would have spaces available if anyone (not going to school or Nursery) wanted to increase days and instead got back a reply about possible redundancy (which I wasn't expecting).

I really feel for you. Sometimes it's hard to put your own needs first as I feel we're always trying to do our utmost to support the families we have already, but when the chips are down, I always try to remind myself that the most important family to me is mine!

I'm sure it will all work out for you - really jealous about your cruise! I haven't taken a proper holiday since I started childminding - income has always felt a bit uncertain. However, I've promised myself that, this year, I am going to put money aside and have a holiday. (My sister lives in Canada and I haven't seen her for many, many years. She has the big C (which she is beating as she is a fighter) but I'm determined to go there this Summer and spend some quality time with her.

All the best,

L

hectors house
27-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I really feel for you. Sometimes it's hard to put your own needs first as I feel we're always trying to do our utmost to support the families we have already, but when the chips are down, I always try to remind myself that the most important family to me is mine!

I'm sure it will all work out for you - really jealous about your cruise! I haven't taken a proper holiday since I started childminding - income has always felt a bit uncertain. However, I've promised myself that, this year, I am going to put money aside and have a holiday. (My sister lives in Canada and I haven't seen her for many, many years. She has the big C (which she is beating as she is a fighter) but I'm determined to go there this Summer and spend some quality time with her.

All the best,

L

Hope you manage to get to see your sister - I'm sure a visit from you would really aid her recovery. We wanted to go on holiday to Canada this year with friends in an RV but have put it off now until next May as we both had conflicting family and work commitments.

Not really sure we can afford the cruise but I just wanted a holiday where I could wear some of the posh frocks that I have bought over the last few years for my 2 daughters and 3 nephews weddings instead of the holidays that my husband normally chooses - over the last few years have been ski-ing, walked half of the West highland way across Scotland and last year it was Amsterdam on a motorbike - no call for posh frocks or dressing up!

hectors house
27-02-2015, 06:32 PM
I too, would fill spaces as you have them, if people ask and then work out what you need to do when the time comes to have sibling babe!

I'm currently more or less full ( plus 4 on 2 days ), but I know I have 1 leaving for school in September, and 1 maybe 2 leaving to for nursery in September ... BUT a LO who is currently doing half a day whilst mum is on maternity leave, will be returning 3 days plus baby sibling probably Jan 16! .... I can't get my head round any of it and so am not going to worry! I may well need an assistant at some point but I hope not! I really don't want an assistant!

I registered my daughter as my assistant 2 years ago but only really for emergencies and a couple of times when I have needed to finish an hour early for appointments - really wouldn't want to work with her on a regular basis and also I don't have (or want) a 7 seater. Try my Word document table idea if you want to try to work out what days/spaces you have - although I wasn't too worried until I did mine - so maybe don't do it! One space on one day doesn't look too bad but then when you multiply it by your day rate and then 4 weeks for a month, then you realise you actually have 4 days spaces - you are suddenly looking at £600 a month. :panic:

lollipop kid
27-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I registered my daughter as my assistant 2 years ago but only really for emergencies and a couple of times when I have needed to finish an hour early for appointments - really wouldn't want to work with her on a regular basis and also I don't have (or want) a 7 seater. Try my Word document table idea if you want to try to work out what days/spaces you have - although I wasn't too worried until I did mine - so maybe don't do it! One space on one day doesn't look too bad but then when you multiply it by your day rate and then 4 weeks for a month, then you realise you actually have 4 days spaces - you are suddenly looking at £600 a month. :panic:

I don't use a 7-seater. I don't even use a car. I cover the school closest to me that my son attends. - about a 10 minute walk. (Plus, I only take on children who are likely to go to that school, or its Nursery), so we walk everywhere. If I use my buggyboard, and a buggypod on my double (tandem) buggy, then I can walk with up to 4 children in it - even though I never have as I've always had either 3 children on my own, or up to 5 when working with another adult.

Good move to register your daughter, but you're right. You don't want her dependent on your business if you can help it (especially in light of your spreadsheet). Good for emergencies, though. I've registered my husband and he steps in if my assistant is off sick.

Your spreadsheet sounds fab. I've done a pen and paper one myself, but hey ho - as long as it works.

All the best,

L

loocyloo
27-02-2015, 06:41 PM

:D I already have a grid! mine is week plan and I have one for each term! I have it organised into days down the side split into before school/school/after school and then number of children across the top! its also colour coded for the different age groups !!! easy to look at and see at a glance what space I have when and where!

I agree - I try not to work out how much £ a space is!

( and LOL sadly, much I would love to have my children as emergency assistants ... at 10 and 13 ... I think they are still too young to officially help! they are great in the holidays though! )

lollipop kid
27-02-2015, 06:53 PM
:D I already have a grid! mine is week plan and I have one for each term! I have it organised into days down the side split into before school/school/after school and then number of children across the top! its also colour coded for the different age groups !!! easy to look at and see at a glance what space I have when and where!

I agree - I try not to work out how much £ a space is!

( and LOL sadly, much I would love to have my children as emergency assistants ... at 10 and 13 ... I think they are still too young to officially help! they are great in the holidays though! )

I've done the same as you - only I've got days across the top split into am/pm/after-school, and EY1, EY2 etc down the side, and I just tick under the appropriate 'box'/column. I can get about 6 weeks worth on the one A4 hand-written sheet so I know what spaces are coming up.

(If I'm feeling really flash, sometimes I overlay a sheet of clear plastic over it on which I use coloured whiteboard pens.)

:laughing:

It really helps me forward-plan, though. Only other childminders know how mad it can get! :thumbsup:

L