PDA

View Full Version : Material?

mumofone
26-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Does anyone provide children with material of any kind (ie fabric!!) to play with and in what capacity? Would it be considered a "natural resource" or "sensory object" - I ask because I've noticed my Baby loves to play with any kind of material

k1rstie
26-02-2015, 08:26 PM
I am not keen on dressing up outfits! Frozen dresses tend to only be used to pay frozen, and the words just repeated.

My dressing up box is full of fabric. All kinds, all colours, all sizes. Ranging from shower curtains ( a beautiful gold fabric), Nemo fabric, table clothes, fabric samples, table runners, blue/ green huge material, single curtains, net curtains, spiderweb material ( from the Halloween stuff at pound land) to name but a few.

This can then be used in countless ways. As the sea, as grass, dresses, mountaineers, dens, covers for dolls, material to display Lego on, .......

My local charity shop as a box with material in. I always have a rummage, and have got some lovely stuff there.

loocyloo
26-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I am not keen on dressing up outfits! Frozen dresses tend to only be used to pay frozen, and the words just repeated.

My dressing up box is full of fabric. All kinds, all colours, all sizes. Ranging from shower curtains ( a beautiful gold fabric), Nemo fabric, table clothes, fabric samples, table runners, blue/ green huge material, single curtains, net curtains, spiderweb material ( from the Halloween stuff at pound land) to name but a few.

This can then be used in countless ways. As the sea, as grass, dresses, mountaineers, dens, covers for dolls, material to display Lego on, .......

My local charity shop as a box with material in. I always have a rummage, and have got some lovely stuff there.

My views exactly!

I have a big basket of fabric which the children love to explore from babies to teenagers. We use it for everything and anything.

Maza
26-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Me too - the things that have been created with my collection of fabrics! As to whether it is called a 'natural' resource it would depend on what type of fabric it is - a piece of naturally dyed cotton would be natural but one of those foil blankets (from first aid kit) which many babies love would be a sensory object, stimulating many senses at the same time.

FloraDora
26-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Material here too, some finer chiffon doubles up as dancing scarves, fleece as baby covers and animals, but mine like to wrap material around their waist ......then carry on playing....no pretending to be.... I have one LO who never takes off her craft apron...just wears it all morning plus loves her wellies on, so I have bought her a pair of indoor wellies.
I did make some dressing up clothes but they take up too much room for the pleasure they give and amount of use...so now in a box and put out specifically, doctors vets, hairdressers, workman when I set up a role play area.....they rarely put them on though.
I find that the process of rummaging in a box seems to give more pleasure than on a neat dressing up rack, though nicely hung clothes satisfies my tidy streak, I have to go with their flow!

Maza
26-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Lol, FloraDora. You are so right about the excitement of rummaging through a dressing up box. I never realised it before but it is so true! I can just picture my little ones doing that each time I get out the 'dressing up' box. It's not out all the time because I just don't have the space, and like everything else it gets put in a cupboard once it runs dry. When it comes out again it is like they have just discovered a treasure chest!

lollipop kid
27-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Me too - the things that have been created with my collection of fabrics! As to whether it is called a 'natural' resource it would depend on what type of fabric it is - a piece of naturally dyed cotton would be natural but one of those foil blankets (from first aid kit) which many babies love would be a sensory object, stimulating many senses at the same time.

We use a long sheet of shiny, holographic foil stuff (it came wrapped around a present to one of my children one time) as a river. It's great fun! I've also got a deflated 'Valentine's Day' pink heart balloon crinkly thingy (one of the parents had it for his wife, and gave it to me when they'd finished with it) as a resource. I can still blow it up and then let the children throw it in the air, or just crinkle it until it deflates. Or just crinkle it.

I love the sound of a fabric basket, though. Living in a small house, storage is the issue for me, but it sounds like such a lovely idea, it just has to be done. I don't have many dressing up outfits - apart from a Dalek costume (that funnily enough fits me!). "Exterminate" :laughing:

L

lollipop kid
01-03-2015, 12:03 PM
I don't have many dressing up outfits - apart from a Dalek costume (that funnily enough fits me!). "Exterminate" :laughing:

L

In light of Mr Spock's passing, I thought I should also admit to owning a red Star Trek dress and black, suede knee-length boots. (I was so tempted to wear it yesterday as a tribute - think I would have got funny looks in the Supermarket, though.) My excuse was my son's 6th birthday, when he had a space party and I was the entertainment (as always!).

"Live long and prosper!"

:laughing:

L