PDA

View Full Version : Childminder snobbery

KatieFS
26-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi guys and girls

I went for a new job and was told I needed more nursery experience, it was a level 2 and 3 assessor role. They were distinctly under whelmed by my childminding experience of 3 years, working with vulnerable children , council award loads of excellent feedback. I've find voluntary work in pre school.

Feel a bit like being a childminder is not as desirable as nursery experience - please tell me this is wrong!?

AliceK
26-02-2015, 07:41 PM
I think it is still the case that a lot of people still think of childminders as a bit thick and lazy sitting on their bums all day watching daytime TV whilst letting the children do as they like. I think we have worked hard to readdress things and to be seen as professional child carers but I find I still have to spell things out to people eg working to the EYFS, training, inspections, insurance etc etc etc.

xxx

yummyripples
26-02-2015, 08:38 PM
I definitely find that nursery workers look down their noses at us - I mean how can WE provide the same stimulating learning environment as a nursery with all their fabulous resources. EASY - we have the big wide world at our disposal. Instead of having a tuff tray with natural resources to play with - we go out to a wood. Instead of having a reading corner, we have a library or a couch at home.
At a recent course I was on where nursery workers were whispering and sneering at us, one turned round to me and my friend and asked how we went to the toilet when no one was around to look after the children..................

Mouse
26-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately a lot of people still don't have any idea what we do :panic:

Smiley
26-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Don't despair, I managed to tutor and was an NVQ assessor for quite a few years. My only experience of early years was childminding. :)

KatieFS
26-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks! Glad it's not just me!

Smiley how did you get started?! I'm thinking to do the a1 course would help me?
I'm speaking to an online course provider next week....

k1rstie
27-02-2015, 07:07 AM
At a recent course I was on where nursery workers were whispering and sneering at us, one turned round to me and my friend and asked how we went to the toilet when no one was around to look after the children..................

I would have asked them how they went to the toilet? Aren't they always told what to do?

KatieFS
27-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Yes quite! I feel our role is under valued.

I would like to do a bit of nursery work as looking in future to do ofsted inspector so think more experience would be great for my cv