PDA

View Full Version : variation query

julie w
26-02-2015, 11:22 AM
At present I have 4 pre school children ages 1,2,3 & 3. One is full time and the others are part time. So far it has worked really well in that I have 2 or 3 children each day. However one of the lo's mum is at uni and she needs me to have him an extra day which would take me to 4 that day. None of the others can swap. I contacted ofsted explaining the situation and asking advice. Ive had a variation for 4 before but wanted to be sure before I go ahead. As expected I had a parrot style reply stating I read the eyfs guidelines. I replied that I had but would they be so kind as to reply to my own personal question. I had exactly the same reply. I rang them and they told me to read the guidelines and to use my own judgment regarding my situation. Clear as mud. The guidelines state that you can have extra child if they are a sibling or your own child. The child that needs to have an extra day isnt a sibling but 2 of the others I have that day have brothers and sisters that come after school. So does the fact that 2 of the 4 have siblings make it ok or does the one that needs the extra day need to be the one with siblings. Sorry its long but im trying to think of a way of getting round the legalities of having 4 for 1 day. Thank you .

JCrakers
26-02-2015, 12:36 PM
As far as im aware if the child is an existing child on your books and Mum wants another day you can go over 3 as long as you RA (written, just in case) and can prove how you'll still provide care for all.

I have had this situation before and I've done it. As long as you can show you have all essential items such as highchairs, buggy space etc and how you will cope throughout the day. As long as you feel comfortable with 4 then there's no problem.

AliceK
26-02-2015, 01:30 PM
I would say it will be fine.
I very often have 4 as they are all shift workers and their days and times change all the time, sometimes 4 seems to be the norm for me nowadays.

xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-02-2015, 03:09 PM
An extra day for existing children is continuity of care and is fine to do.

Rick
26-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Absolutely no problem assuming RA is done and informing parents. Proof from Ofsted attached

julie w
26-02-2015, 07:31 PM
An extra day for existing children is continuity of care and is fine to do.

Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought continuity of care doesnt count any more. xx

julie w
26-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Thank you everyone xxx

Rick
26-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought continuity of care doesnt count any more. xx

It very much does still count. Letter above is from Nick Husdson, Early Years director at Ofsted

julie w
08-03-2015, 12:51 PM
3.42. If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and Ofsted inspectors or their childminder agency that the individual needs of all the children are being met, exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby. If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.
Hi all Ive copied this from the EYFS statuary framework 2014. I cant find anywhere it states continuity of care unless its for siblings or own child

Rick
08-03-2015, 01:08 PM
3.42. If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and Ofsted inspectors or their childminder agency that the individual needs of all the children are being met, exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby. If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.
Hi all Ive copied this from the EYFS statuary framework 2014. I cant find anywhere it states continuity of care unless its for siblings or own child

3.30 states "Exceptionally, and where the quality of care and safety and security of children is maintained, changes to the ratios may be made."

This allows for flexibility in our numbers within the 6 under 8 ratio. The letter above confirms continuity of care is one of these reasons.