PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with a baby...

NinkyNonk
25-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi all, I've been asked by a new parent if I can take their baby swimming. I'm not sure about it, so just wanted other peoples opinions and see if anyone else does this? I've spoken to some local childminders and no-one as ever (or would) do it. There will be one day a week when I only have this baby, so it would be a 1:1 basis...

mama2three
25-02-2015, 02:56 PM
yes I have , used to take a mindee fairly regularly. I only stopped when I got another mindee as would only go if its 1-1

clareelizabeth1
25-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Yes I have when I have been 1-1 don't see why you wouldn't it's great for kids and fun for adults too.

NinkyNonk
25-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Thank you...I'm new to minding so it's not something I've been asked to do yet. As I'd got that response from the local minders I just wanted some other opinions. I actually can't swim but obviously know that taking a baby won't involve actual swimming anyway. :-)

Maza
25-02-2015, 03:15 PM
I would love to take my mindees swimming and if I only ever had one then I would do it - providing the parents pay.

Rubybubbles
25-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Yes I have when I have been 1-1 don't see why you wouldn't it's great for kids and fun for adults too.

This

Was great fun

AliceK
25-02-2015, 05:07 PM
If it suits you then do it but make sure you explain to mum that you will only do it for as long as you can. So if at some point you have another child on this day you might decide you can no longer do it. Personally I wouldn't do it as I don't enjoy swimming myself but then I couldn't anyway as I have too many children.

xxx

kellib
25-02-2015, 05:33 PM
I've often thought about taking mindees swimming, I love swimming and go myself regularly but I've always wondered what other childminders do about changing/getting dressed with mindee afterwards?

mama2three
25-02-2015, 06:36 PM
For under 2s Im as discreet as I can be but don't think they'll be scarred for life by seeing a flash of boob or belly! Ive only ever taken them at this age.
I take a dressing gown to wrap the child in while I dress and then do them.

kellib
25-02-2015, 08:23 PM
For under 2s Im as discreet as I can be but don't think they'll be scarred for life by seeing a flash of boob or belly! Ive only ever taken them at this age. I take a dressing gown to wrap the child in while I dress and then do them.

I only have over 3's at the minute, ones that would tell parents everything they saw lol!

k1rstie
25-02-2015, 10:29 PM
I have done on a one to one basis years ago, but I would not do it now.

Swimming lessons are so expensive, what would happen if after the lesson payment has been made, you get another child to start after Easter. What if your own children's school was on an inset day or closed due to flood, voting etc?

Our swimming schools run lessons at all different times, including weekends. I personally would let mummy take the child.

mama2three
27-02-2015, 12:25 AM
I didn't do lessons , just the public swim

hectors house
27-02-2015, 08:24 PM
I get free membership at our Sports Centre as my daughter is a lifeguard there, I have often taken children 1 to 1 and have even taken a 3 year old (who could touch bottom of small pool) and my grandson (then aged 1).

My daughter took my grandson (her nephew) swimming today (he is 2 now) and I may go with her and take a 1 year old and 3 year old mindee (but not sure that this 3 year old can touch bottom yet as he is quite short). Getting changed isn't too bad - I generally wear my tankini there to save time and after swimming I just wrap older child in a towel while getting baby dry, encourage older ones to dry their arms, tummy, legs etc to help, pop baby when dressed in buggy while I get dry and dressed and help older one get dressed.

blue bear
27-02-2015, 09:21 PM
I used to do it a lot when I only had two we loved it swimming then lunch in the cafe or a picnic in the park, one of my favourite things to do. But then years ago I was a life guard and swimming instructor.

MrsP2C
28-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I take a 2 year old mindee quite regularly as I only have him one morning & have a membership that gives me free swimming sessions. I got mum to complete a permission form & did a risk assessment but if it's 1:1 I don't see the problem? Wrt changing, I don't prance around naked but don't give it any more or less though than I would my own dc.

fluff1975
01-03-2015, 10:00 AM
I used to take one of mine to a toddler splash session every week. We both loved it and the other parents there thought it was great that I was there as a childminder and could they please have my number!! Re: getting changed, I just explained to mum that obviously I wasn't going to leave her 2 year old daughter alone, that we would be getting changed together and by virtue of that fact, we'd both see each other naked. Ofsted inspector loved it too although sadly it didn't get a mention on my report :(