PDA

View Full Version : Gloop?!

mumofone
24-02-2015, 09:54 PM
CAn anyone explain to me what gloop is and do you buy it or can you make it? I assume it's different to play dough?

hectors house
24-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Haven't ever made it but mindees have played with it at todders - it's just a sloppy mixture of corn flour and water!

Arts and Crafts: Gloop - Netmums (http://www.netmums.com/activities/fun-at-home/messy-play-made-easy/gloop)

mama2three
24-02-2015, 11:11 PM
yes , its cornflour and water.
You can add lots of other things to make different consistencies , textures , smells etc...
my favourite was cranberry gloop - just a jar of cranberry sauce mixed with cornflour to make a kind of dough , then the kids gradually added water to make gloop. It smelt of Christmas.
Lots of ideas on pinterest , might be under oobleck ( American gloop!)

FussyElmo
25-02-2015, 07:20 AM
CAn anyone explain to me what gloop is and do you buy it or can you make it? I assume it's different to play dough?

Love love love gloop

hectors house
25-02-2015, 07:39 AM
I couldn't even cope with children playing with cooked noodles at toddlers today - can do mud but not slimy noodles!

Ripeberry
25-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Gloop is fun, but don't put it down the sink afterwards! It's a menace to pipes!

mumofone
25-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys! :-) Would it be best off used outside? I'm thinking of it being smeared everywhere indoors!

AliceK
25-02-2015, 09:39 AM
We make gloop sometimes. Mine sit at the table and play with it in a big bowl. I have had 1 LO in the past who absolutely hated it. Hated the way it changes consistency and wouldn't touch it again. I love it, it's so weird.

xxx

mumofone
25-02-2015, 09:45 AM
What ages would you use it with?

AliceK
25-02-2015, 09:48 AM
What ages would you use it with?

Any age. It's a great sensory experience for the younger ones and the older ones love the way it changes consistency and why.

xxx

mumofone
25-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Any age. It's a great sensory experience for the younger ones and the older ones love the way it changes consistency and why. xxx

Thanks alice, don't really young children babies put it in their mouth though?

AliceK
25-02-2015, 10:12 AM

Of course you need to RA and keep a close eye on the very young ones but it isn't toxic anyway so if they did get some in their mouth it wouldn't hurt.

xxx

bunyip
25-02-2015, 06:31 PM

What, like corn cakes and other corn-based foodstuffs? I don't see the problem. :confused:

................apart from the fact that corn cakes taste vile. :p

k1rstie
25-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Of course you need to RA and keep a close eye on the very young ones but it isn't toxic anyway so if they did get some in their mouth it wouldn't hurt.

xxx

Don't hate me, but shouldn't homemade play dough etc be recorded on your allergy paperwork? Play dough contains gluten, I saw a recipe for a Christmas dough with a jar of cranberry sauce added.

Allergens don't have to be ingested to cause problems, they can be problematic via skin contact also.

Dragonfly
26-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Gluten is a problem if eaten, not usually through the skin.
Gloop is better played outside. you think you have cleared up then it dries and you see floury smears everywhere.