PDA

View Full Version : What could this be

specks4
24-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi All
I look after a 26 month old boy. His speech isn't very good, he can say a few words but can't join 2 or 3 words together to form a sentence. The words he can say are not clear unless you know him. Also he copies what the other children do but not because they are all doing something like dancing and they are all copying each other but he could be playing by himself and another child is making a noise doing something he will stop what he is doing and go over and copy that child. Also when a child is upset it having a moan/tantrum he will copy this behaviour aswell. Sometimes he will ignore you when you call him but other times he won't. Physically he can do everything they are suppose to at that age. When he arrives he likes to get all the toy story toys out and lines them up in the dolls house and will try and get everything out unless told otherwise. He understands when told to tidy up and he does this. He doesn't seem to talk off his own back.
Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I'm gonna speak to mum to ask if he has had his 2 year check up but I don't think he has.

Thank you

JCrakers
24-02-2015, 01:54 PM
I would just monitor and ask Mum about his 2yr check. If he's due to have one then that would be a good thing to do to see where he is regarding his CLL development.

Sometimes boys are late speakers (although girls can be too :D)

I would read a lot to him, lots of talking in and outside the house, describing things you see and keep an eye on his speech. Sometimes it does take a while to come an then it comes all at once. He could maybe o with an hearing test just to be sure he's hearing properly. Can he follow instructions? If he is following instructions then he probably is hearing but is just slower at talking.

Some children aren't talkers....it doesn't come naturally just like adults sometimes find it hard. I would just keep monitoring through EYO/DM and if you don't see any improvements then it would be time for Mum to speak with HV.

specks4
24-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Hi JCrackers
Yes we do lots of talking and he loves being read to and we talk inside and out about what we can see. I will keep a eye but was bit worried about the copying of behaviour from the other children as I've never had a child who copies crying, whinging, tantrums etc. could this be a attention thing?

Fitrix
24-02-2015, 02:08 PM
How does he relate to you? How does he interact with the other children? (Apart from copying). Is it just voices he copies or does he copy inanimate things too? I have a LO (who is on the spectrum) who copies the washing machine / phone ring. He also copies babies cries and has them so perfectly matched I think they're here when they're not! Drives me insane. Are there other concerns you have apart from the copying. Does he follow a point etc?

specks4
24-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi fitrix
He isn't a loving child I don't mean that in a nasty way just mean he isn't free with cuddles etc. He is fine with me and will play and show me things. He will sort of play with other children but in a copying way. When he copies the crying whinging etc he will do the sounds and copy what they are doing so laying on the floor or stamping feet etc. He will only come for attention like cuddles when he sees another child doing it to me and he will copy what they have just done.

specks4
24-02-2015, 02:20 PM
He will play by himself with toys but his attention with the toys doesn't last long and he chops and changes what he plays with. When we do drawing or colouring he will sit for a long time and do this but as soon as another child has finished he will want to finish and I've noticed same with meals aswell he will let me know he is finished because he has heard another child do it even if he hasn't, I have to tell him oh you haven't finished yet and he will finish. He can understand what your telling him just speech delayed and copying others.

JCrakers
24-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Ah ok, that's me reading too fast and missing bits out...lol

If you feel something isn't quite right I would take some notes. I had a situation were a new mindee started aged 6yrs and from the onset I knew that he played differently. I made notes for my benefit and his and needed to be sure before I aired my views to his Mum. I wasn't qualified to say it was Autism but I could advise mum that maybe she should have a word with the Health Professionals. I had many sleepless nights thinking on how to tackle it and luckily for me the school flagged something up and I was able to add my observations.
In the end he was diagnosed with SPD so I'm glad I had done some obs.

Your little one is a lot younger than my 6yr old so its hard to know if something is worrying or just a phase.

How are his social skills, does he give eye contact? Does he point to things? Does he like peek a boo or hiding games? Does he pretend to make a cup of tea or a plate of food?

specks4
24-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Eye contact you could have a staring competition with him and he would win lol. Yes if we are playing outside with the toy kitchen he can make a plate of food and pretend to eat it. He can point and mumbles but a lot of the time can't say what it is but just makes a noise. He will play peekaboo if others are doing but never seems to do things off his own back.

Fitrix
24-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Some kids are leaders some are followers. I guess he's a follower! I would just keep an eye on him and like you said ask about the two year check (although isn't that more a physical check rather than behavioural)? Sounds like he's doing ok - just lacks initiative?!

TinyTinker
25-02-2015, 02:09 PM
I have a follower! he's been with me since he was 1 and is now 4y9m! he had delayed speech too, and now has a developmental stammer that he seems to be stuck with for the past 2 years! I raised this 2 years ago hoping things could be done before it became to ingrained if you see what I mean - hv and school have all raised this, but he has still not had any speech therapy! anyway that's a different story! lol....He follows everyones lead since early on, he never comes up with his own ideas, plays what everyone else does, copies baby talk, if you ask him a question he only answers with an answer that someone has said previously even if it's not true for him! I have never heard or witnessed him instigate a conversation or game with the others, and what ever character someone else says they're gonna be, you can bet he will be too and then they'll argue that he can't be too, etc.....

Could just be his personality, but obviously record and escalate any concerns you may have even if nothing comes of it at least things will have been checked out. good idea about putting concerns on 2 year assessment for HV.

specks4
25-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Thank you all for replays. Will just take note and record and speak to mum.