PDA

View Full Version : British safety standards

mumofone
22-02-2015, 09:01 PM
I Wondered whether there's a definitive list of British safety standards? I've bought two stair gates recently both claiming to be of the latest British safety standard but one is bs (something 2011 And the other is bs (something) 2012, so are they both ok? I don't get it!

bunyip
23-02-2015, 09:14 AM
If there is, then I expect the organisation to ask is the British Standards Institute, which is housed in an ugly building above the equally ugly Gunnersbury station.

You'll find their address, etc. is on the link:-

BSI Shop Online Support (http://shop.bsigroup.com/Contact-Us/)

rickysmiths
23-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Everything with the BS Kite Mark on will have a number in the Kite Mark and that is the BS the item has to comply with. You can get the detail and should be able to look up the BS number via the BS web site. However the actual documents are often very long and the testing an item has undergone very comprehensive. BS therefore charge for copies of the actual documents and they are not cheap.

You should be able to ring or email them the numbers you have and the product detail and a photo if emailing and they will confirm the item has a British Standard.

However saying al that there is a min European Standard that equipment and toys have to comply with and even if an item doesn't have a kite mark they may have an EU mark which indicates they comply with the min standards and are safe. You local Environmental Health Department may be able to advise you.

Both standards to test items but they may have a stair gate test that was done in 2011 and unless materials or design change a lot will not do another 'Standard Test' for a number of years but that doesn't mean the one your item has is out of date. As I said these tests are very very costly to carry out. I was lucky enough as a student to go to the British Standards Institute Testing Labs it was amazing.

mumofone
23-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much guys, I'm going to have a good look on the website :-) Thank you, thank you, thank you.

mumofone
23-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Everything with the BS Kite Mark on will have a number in the Kite Mark and that is the BS the item has to comply with. You can get the detail and should be able to look up the BS number via the BS web site. However the actual documents are often very long and the testing an item has undergone very comprehensive. BS therefore charge for copies of the actual documents and they are not cheap. You should be able to ring or email them the numbers you have and the product detail and a photo if emailing and they will confirm the item has a British Standard. However saying al that there is a min European Standard that equipment and toys have to comply with and even if an item doesn't have a kite mark they may have an EU mark which indicates they comply with the min standards and are safe. You local Environmental Health Department may be able to advise you. Both standards to test items but they may have a stair gate test that was done in 2011 and unless materials or design change a lot will not do another 'Standard Test' for a number of years but that doesn't mean the one your item has is out of date. As I said these tests are very very costly to carry out. I was lucky enough as a student to go to the British Standards Institute Testing Labs it was amazing.

Woah £187 for one report no less jeez! :-)