PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diaries

lpatters
20-02-2015, 09:59 PM
How do you do your daily diaries? Is there a particular way we are supposed to do them?

natlou82
20-02-2015, 10:17 PM
I do them I find them very useful especially for the babies in case I forget to tell parents something on pick up. You can do them any way you choose. I've had feedback from my parents on what they like about the diaries and it's mainly what food they've eaten and naps (so they know how bedtime may play out). I also record what activities we've been doing too.

lpatters
20-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I do them I find them very useful especially for the babies in case I forget to tell parents something on pick up. You can do them any way you choose. I've had feedback from my parents on what they like about the diaries and it's mainly what food they've eaten and naps (so they know how bedtime may play out). I also record what activities we've been doing too.
Thanks Natlou82. Do you do yours in a notepad or an A4 piece of paper or any other way? I definitely will do them, just not sure how to set them up. Do yours get sent home with the children each day for parents to write comments?

FloraDora
20-02-2015, 10:25 PM
There is no set way you have to do it.
I put a lot of time and detail into mine as I then use them for my observations. I use an online system which means I can finish them just after LO's leave and parents access them on line and make comments.
Works well for me, I start them when LO's sleep, DH uploads photos just before they go home and then I spend 30 mins finishing them and finish about 6.15. But Obs are done and so I am always up to date with assessment and next steps etc.. So I don't have to spend any more time until my half termly reviews.

loocyloo
21-02-2015, 07:00 AM
I use A5 ring folders and each day put a new A5 sheet in.
Each one has a list of meals/food/milk eaten, sleeps and nappies.
I then write what we've done and I write it from the childs point of view ... "today I explored the water tray, I enjoyed pouring the water from the jug" etc
I do a brief scribble at snack and meal times or when asleep. I don't spend more than a few minutes on the diaries and it's habit as I've always kept daily diaries for children I've looked after as either childminder or nanny.
I like the folders as if it is forgotten I can still send a sheet home.
I use the sheet to send messages such as .. More nappies please or have a lovely holiday ( even though I usually do remember to tell parents this )
I also have 'parent comments' sheets at the back.
I sometimes add photos as well.

natlou82
21-02-2015, 08:24 AM
For the under 3s I bought them from an online retailer, I don't think I'm allowed to promote. It has pre loaded headings so I just fill in the info, very quick. For the older ones I just use a large notebook. I send them home everyday. The parents don't usually comment tbh but when I have spoken to them about the diaries they clearly value them. I do the diaries for everyone inc after schoolers, I thought about stopping the older ones but the parents don't want me to. My learning journeys are completely separate from the diaries and are in individual ring binders. I also do scrap books for the after schoolers with photos and artwork. I know I don't have to do that but I actually like doing it and it's in my own time.

Ripeberry
21-02-2015, 08:53 AM
I have an A5 book for each child and I write about his/her day. I include times of when nappies are changed, when they had food and what toys were played with. Far too much detail but written as if it was a short story.
I can only do it this way as I've never had more than 2 children at the same time. I stop doing them once the child turns 3 years old.

moggy
21-02-2015, 08:58 AM
I have an A5 book for each child and I write about his/her day. I include times of when nappies are changed, when they had food and what toys were played with. Far too much detail but written as if it was a short story.
I can only do it this way as I've never had more than 2 children at the same time. I stop doing them once the child turns 3 years old.

I do the same, even with 3 little ones- leave A5 spiral-bound books open on table and jot in them as we go along, particularly at meal/snack times when I can sit for a minute! I talk with the children about what I am writing too and they see me writing them which is all good, I think.

I find I need to note nappies/naps/food through the day as there is no way I would remember who did what by the end of the day!

Parents take book home every evening and write a paragraph or more each every day before child comes back to me next morning- all about how they slept/breakfast/their weekend/news from home etc

We use it for reminders too- like asking to bring more nappies, reminder of holidays coming up, inviting parents in for meetings and general family news updates from either side. Parents write in 'wow' moments from home too which I than put in LJ.

natlou82
21-02-2015, 07:03 PM
If you have a B+M bargains I spotted some lovely A5 pads in there that would be perfect :-)

Conkey
21-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Hello, I do an email each day to parents as my daily diary. I briefly give a run down of food, activities, nap, nappies and anything else noteworthy. My parents like the fact that I attach photos every day as well and it works particularly well for split families ie both parents get the email even if it isn't their day to have the child. Parents just reply back with any comments, most read them on their phones before they leave work and comment straight away! Guess it wont work for everyone but I type quicker than I write so manage to get more detail in there.

AliceK
22-02-2015, 10:38 PM
There is no set way you have to do it.
I put a lot of time and detail into mine as I then use them for my observations. I use an online system which means I can finish them just after LO's leave and parents access them on line and make comments.
Works well for me, I start them when LO's sleep, DH uploads photos just before they go home and then I spend 30 mins finishing them and finish about 6.15. But Obs are done and so I am always up to date with assessment and next steps etc.. So I don't have to spend any more time until my half termly reviews.

I do the same , use an online system. Parents can log on to see it every day and it also means my LJ's are always completely up to date. I type them out online all day as I go along either on my phone app or on the laptop and upload photos throughout the day as well, it takes just seconds to do.
I used to use A5 books but when I changed to doing it online all parents have commented on how much they love it :thumbsup:

xxx

lpatters
24-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the great advice everyone. Can you use these online systems for planning? xx

TinyTinker
25-02-2015, 01:58 PM
I used to do one for every child who came to me, but soon realised that I could tell they hadn't been read by parents, and parents were not recording anything in them either. I then asked all parents if they actually wanted them to tell me and I would continue otherwise they would cease to be in use. Not one parent wanted them continued!:mad: I now just ask each parent at sign up if they would like one, only one parent since then has ever asked for it.

I used to include all the food and drink they had had, nappies, and a brief few sentences about what they had done, anything to record and questions or reminders for parents. just in a normal note book.

mumofone
26-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Does anyone use a single sheet for a diary?

loocyloo
26-03-2015, 12:53 PM
I posted earlier in the thread that I use a single sheet each day, that are kept in an A5 folder. I ask the parents to bring the folder each day so I can add to it, plus it's helpful to look back and see what we did or ate etc! LOs like to look back at photos or artwork in it!