PDA

View Full Version : continuity of care

Superstar
16-02-2015, 01:00 PM
can someone clarify if this is ok?

LG 'S' has been coming to me since 9 months old (2012)
mum had new baby 'A' in 2014, was made redundant and reduced 'S' days until jan where she stopped coming to me and started new setting for 3yr funding, mum wasn't sure if she was returning to work.

in the meantime I filled 1 space, leaving me 1 left open as my own little one taking the other.

S and A mum now said that she wants S to return and A to come too. but it will be wrap around for S (now 3) 2/3 days and a full day for S 1day per week. she wants A to attend fully for the 3 days.

this will obviously mean my numbers will be 4 at certain times 2/3 days and 1 day a week too. can I do this under continuity as S will be returning to me?

i'm confused. help!

bunyip
16-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood your OP.

IIUC, the older child "S" has previously attended your setting, but then stopped attending. Mum now wants to send both child "S" and "A". You wish to know if this constitutes "continuity of care" for the purposes of exceeding normal ratios. Hope I've got that right.

If I have got that right, then I think the answer will be: no, it's not continuity of care, because "S" broke off attending. To put it another way: you can't "continue" something that has already ceased happening IYSWIM. :(

Things to bear in mind. AFAIK the phrase "continuity of care" is not, and never has been, included in any version of EYFS. Ofsted have never satisfactorily clarified exactly what they mean by it. The upshot is that individual inspectors tend to have their own very individual views on what constitutes "continuity of care". In effect, ever since Ofsted stopped approving written variation applications, any CM who does anything under the "continuity of care" principle is sticking out their neck to some degree and hoping for the best at inspection time. :( Anecdotal evidence from multiple CMs suggests it impossible to predict the sort of view an inspector will take on this. You might get away with it with one inspector, whilst another will come down like the proverbial ton of bricks and slap you with an 'inadequate' grade. :(

The other thing to remember is that an inspector might approve the "continuity of care" principle, but still judge that a CM isn't meeting the needs of all 4 children. IIRC this was mentioned on a post by a member very recently, though I can't find the relevant thread.

Sorry if that's not much help, but it's just the way it is. Ofsted's approach to such 'variations' appears to have become very arbitrary and I tend to advice anyone considering them to proceed with the most extreme caution. Sadly, it's on of these things which we collectively complained about the problems of the old system of written variation applications and ended up with something even worse and totally chaotic. Not helped by the failed Trussite political agenda to increase total numbers as a way of underpinning the proposals for CM agencies. :mad: Another bit of political meddling gone wrong.

moggy
16-02-2015, 07:27 PM
I agree with Bunjip- child has left you and started at new setting. The old 'continuity of care' thing was to do with not wanting to move an already-settled child due to new sibling. The child, S, is already moved and settled elsewhere. In fact, to move her and sibling to you would be a 'discontinuity of care -for her!

bunyip
16-02-2015, 07:39 PM
I agree with Bunjip- child has left you and started at new setting. The old 'continuity of care' thing was to do with not wanting to move an already-settled child due to new sibling. The child, S, is already moved and settled elsewhere. In fact, to move her and sibling to you would be a 'discontinuity of care -for her!

Now how come you can say that so succinctly and I have to start an anti-Ofsted rant? ;)

Btw, you seem to have invented a Dutch spelling of my username. Maybe it'll catch on.......:clapping:

moggy
16-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Now how come you can say that so succinctly and I have to start an anti-Ofsted rant? ;)

Btw, you seem to have invented a Dutch spelling of my username. Maybe it'll catch on.......:clapping:

Ah, but we love your rants, Bunjip (was a typo but I quite like it!)

Rick
16-02-2015, 08:02 PM
I couldn't quite follow that but the rules are:

If you have three children and one has a sibling due to start or an existing parent wants different hours taking you to four EY children then fine under continuity of care. Do a RA and inform parents.

If a child leaves you, then if they return they are classed as new business, not continuity of care from when they were with you previously.