PDA

View Full Version : Lidded cups/mugs

mumofone
14-02-2015, 09:00 AM
I drink lots of tea throughout the day (!) but with my LO now a crawler I'm increasingly having to put mugs up high out the way. I've heard some people on here mention lidded mugs and would like one. Can anyone recommend me a safe one please? And are they hot to the touch?

Dragonfly
14-02-2015, 09:07 AM
I would continue to put hot drinks up out of reach, i wouldn't use a lidded cup in my home. but thats my opinion:)

FussyElmo
14-02-2015, 09:10 AM
I would continue to put hot drinks up out of reach, i wouldn't use a lidded cup in my home. but thats my opinion:)

I agree the only time I use a lidded cup is when Im buying take out hot chocolate etc.

if you take all risk away children have to learn not to touch hot drinks how do they ever learn. I keep my hot drinks out of the way however the real issue you will have trying to drink it while its still hot :laughing::laughing::laughing:

moggy
14-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Urgh, I hate lidded cups!
Normal mugs here and even at 17mths mindees point at my mug and sign 'hot' or blow 'hot' blowing noises to let me know it is hot (same with cooker when it is on). They learn.

natlou82
14-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I had a lovely lidded mug when I first started. I like the mug as it's not a metallic one and not hot to the touch. I still use this mug sometimes but I ll be honest I have no idea where the lid is. I keep my mugs high up away from my LOs (16 months, 13 months and 2.5) all walkers and it's fine. I do drink less hot drinks than I used to though lol! Quite often it'll be snack or dinner times when they are in highchairs.

Pixie dust
14-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I have a lovely cath kidston one that I got for Christmas. I do prefer to use it when I am working before getting that I had never used a lidded mug at home.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I don't use one at home but Primark do fabulous insulated cups which I take out with me. Nice patterns on them too so they don't look awful
Think I paid £3

clareelizabeth1
14-02-2015, 02:28 PM
I use normal cup to and just put it up high. I hate drinking through the small hole but then maybe I should get used to it as I might then get to drink hot tea.

Wilkos do some nice ones the best I ever had came free with a box of PG tips.

Lal
14-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Lidded mugs keep drinks hotter for longer so prolong the scalding risk. My tea stays in the kitchen which is directly off lounge/diner. I can reach it over the gate when I want to drink it. I will take a cool enough to drink mug of tea and sit at the table with it during snack and meal times. This what I did with my dd when she was younger, so I'm not really doing anything different because I'm minding. I will always make a point of telling my dd (now 4yrs) where I have put my hot drink. She is trained to ask if a mug is hot before she touches it. I hate carelessly placed mugs of tea/coffee- my mother-in-law is one of the worst for putting full, hot mugs on the floor or edge of tables.

FloraDora
15-02-2015, 08:01 AM
A few years ago I witnessed a child being scalded with tea at school. The teacher was holding it in the reception area, having answered the phone at lunch time and a child came running into her.

I have always used a lidded cup since.

Children can be unpredictable, you might keep it up high when not drinking it but when you actually drink it is when possibilities occur......

I actually don't usually drink tea / coffee when the children are around, I drink water like them.
But sometimes, in afternoon snack I will sit at the table with them and have a hot drink - then it is in one of my many lidded cups with cool sides, China, rubber top. Actually ok to drink out of.

At the end of the day when they have all gone home, when I finish the diaries an Earl Grey in an open china mug goes down well though.

mumofone
15-02-2015, 10:24 AM
A few years ago I witnessed a child being scalded with tea at school. The teacher was holding it in the reception area, having answered the phone at lunch time and a child came running into her. I have always used a lidded cup since. Children can be unpredictable, you might keep it up high when not drinking it but when you actually drink it is when possibilities occur...... I actually don't usually drink tea / coffee when the children are around, I drink water like them. But sometimes, in afternoon snack I will sit at the table with them and have a hot drink - then it is in one of my many lidded cups with cool sides, China, rubber top. Actually ok to drink out of. At the end of the day when they have all gone home, when I finish the diaries an Earl Grey in an open china mug goes down well though.

Thanks flora, dyou know where I can but a cool sided rubber topped mug?

FloraDora
15-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks flora, dyou know where I can but a cool sided rubber topped mug?

I have had mine for a while but one is sagaform : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sagaform-5016017-Studio-Takeaway-Mug/dp/B004NSI9S0/ref=pd_sim_kh_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SBPXZQY07RWK7NWJQKR
It's good at insulating and the lid is ok.

My best one came from paperchase via my youngest son - but it doesn't look like they do them now, sorry

I did notice that they had some in out TKMax the other week though at about £7

Wilkinsons had a pretty blue floral one in this week - £5.00 but it didn't say it was insulating.

The ones I have are all double walled.

AliceK
16-02-2015, 08:06 AM
I don't use lidded cups I just put my mug up out of the way although I do like the suggestion that using a lidded cup would make my drink keep hotter for longer and therefore I just might get a chance to actually drink something whilst it's still hot instead of lukewarm or cold and tipped down the sink.

xx

mama2three
16-02-2015, 08:39 AM
I read a report few years ago , I think it was Rospa , who said that the lidded cups were actually just as high a risk .
Adults are less likely to put these cups out of reach as they are percieved to be 'safe' - the problem is that if a child knocks them over the liquid can shoot out through the smaller gap , effectively shooting liquid at a higher temperature straight at the child.

k1rstie
16-02-2015, 08:55 AM
I think the hot drinks question often comes down to being thoughtful or thoughtless.

I attend a soft play gym session at the local sports centre on a Friday morning for under 4's. It as a bouncy castle, some equipment, 3 big trampolines, and parachute games at the end.

It's in a big hall, and there are about 25 kids there.

One week, I noticed a mother with a hot drink from the cafe put it on the side of the trampoline while she chatted to her friend. I spoke to the instructor, and she removed it and put it on the floor under her buggy.

The NEXT week, I noticed her again. This time she arrived later than normal, strolled onto the mats, sat down with her friend and announced that she was late as she was getting a hot chocolate from the cafe. This time, I told her that hot drinks were not suitable on or near the equipment.

She looked baffled!! But should the sports centre sell her a lidded cup of hot drink when about to use the centre, or should they only sell it as they are leaving?

ROPSA do have information on their site about the temperatures needed for scalding children. I like my tea very milky, and it is never really hot when I drink it.
Try using your meat/food thermometer in your hot drinks, and see how hot the normal cups, lidded cups, insulated cups etc are?

Dragonfly
16-02-2015, 05:45 PM
It's the same as everything else common sense. Some have it others don't 😆 I'm a mother of adult children ,like with everything else you teach children of dangers.

loocyloo
16-02-2015, 07:21 PM
I saw some pretty china cups without handles but rubber lids in paperchase today. About £7 I think x