PDA

View Full Version : Every child matters and information pocket guide

mumofone
11-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Am I right in thinking that the "every child matters" scheme is no longer since the coalition came in?
What about the "information sharing pocket guide"?
Does anyone know?
Thank you :-)

Simona
12-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Am I right in thinking that the "every child matters" scheme is no longer since the coalition came in?
What about the "information sharing pocket guide"?
Does anyone know?
Thank you :-)

ECM has been conveniently archived by this govt...but it is still a valid Green Paper from 2004 and lots of current legislation stems from it...including the Children's Commissioner.
You do not need to refer to it but everything we do in our practice is all about ECM...inclusion and equal opportunities.

I still have it in my portfolio and dare not throw it away...the Labour party keeps mentioning ECM ...you never know if they win they may resurrect it...I would be very happy for that!

mumofone
13-02-2015, 11:01 PM
ECM has been conveniently archived by this govt...but it is still a valid Green Paper from 2004 and lots of current legislation stems from it...including the Children's Commissioner. You do not need to refer to it but everything we do in our practice is all about ECM...inclusion and equal opportunities. I still have it in my portfolio and dare not throw it away...the Labour party keeps mentioning ECM ...you never know if they win they may resurrect it...I would be very happy for that!

Thanks Simona :-) do you know about the information sharing pocket guide- a current document or not?
Thanks so much :-)

sarah707
14-02-2015, 08:52 AM
No it's not a current document for childminders - all mention of ECM has been removed from the Eyfs and related guidance...

Simona
14-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks Simona :-) do you know about the information sharing pocket guide- a current document or not?
Thanks so much :-)

No ...ECM is not something you need to consult for your practice as it has been archived....no material is available any more.
I use it still as it translates into current EYFS practice on many levels...that is my choice.

All I recommended is not to throw it away if anyone still has it...just in case...file it away.

k1rstie
14-02-2015, 04:53 PM
I like the ECM heading, and the ECM inserts were great for organising my parent pack and portfolio. Some of the 'you must' and 'you should' statements may not now be accurate, but it is a great starting point for policy organisation.

Simona
15-02-2015, 08:18 AM
I like the ECM heading, and the ECM inserts were great for organising my parent pack and portfolio. Some of the 'you must' and 'you should' statements may not now be accurate, but it is a great starting point for policy organisation.

Yes I agree with you...ECM and EYFS 2008 left no doubt on what was required in their MUST and what was good practice in their SHOULD!!
EYFS now still embeds ECM but the aim are very 'educational' but easily related to ECM....in fact this govt every policy stems from ECM!!!

Strangely enough I found it back in the DfE gov.up publications list yesterday.

I have a folder in my computer where I keep all the 'important' documents for easy access...I realised that I did not have ECM in there although I have the much used paper form.

I googled ECM and ...rather than having to go via the archives to retreat it ...there it appeared under the DfE gov.,uk list.

I was surprised so I tweeted EYTalking with the interesting find!!!.... I will be interested to hear what the reason is?

mumofone
15-02-2015, 10:22 AM
As well as the every child matters being archived the "information Sharon. Pocket guide" is ALSO archived - right?

So confusing!

mumofone
15-02-2015, 10:23 AM
As well as the every child matters being archived the "information Sharon. Pocket guide" is ALSO archived - right? So confusing!

Oops the "information SHARING pocket guide"- not Sharon!

Simona
15-02-2015, 10:41 AM
As well as the every child matters being archived the "information Sharon. Pocket guide" is ALSO archived - right?

So confusing!

Do you mean the book by Rita Cherminais? that is still available...or are you referring to another specific link or pocket guide?

mumofone
15-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Do you mean the book by Rita Cherminais? that is still available...or are you referring to another specific link or pocket guide?

I mean this:

Information Sharing: Pocket guide : The Department for Education (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationdetail/page1/dcsf-00808-2008)

moggy
15-02-2015, 04:57 PM
I mean this:

Information Sharing: Pocket guide : The Department for Education (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationdetail/page1/dcsf-00808-2008)

I think the fact that it has been archived, no one here knows much about it and it was published back in 2008 means that it is not a document you need to consider.

Simona
15-02-2015, 05:31 PM
I mean this:

Yes that too is in the archives
Documents that are not used currently are deposited in an archive for anyone to reference from at any time

CMs archive many of their records, financial record and much more...but they can be used for reference if required.

You do not need to refer to ECM so I would not worry yourself about it...but if you wish to know what it was all about then you can read it of course.

I reported that ECM is back on the DfE list but I don't know why...if I find out I will share.

Those who did the Foundation Degree up to 2012 ...prior to the EYFS being reformed....will know a lot about ECM which was published in 2004..
I cannot think of one essay where we did not have to reference it and I have all the essays to go back to. ...not referencing it meant we could not link theory to practice.

Hope this helps you!

mumofone
15-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys! :-) you're always so helpful.
I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake! ;-)

Simona
16-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys! :-) you're always so helpful.
I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake! ;-)

You are not slow at all...in fact commendable you are looking beyond the 'prescribed' at where EYFS stems from...knowledge is a wonderful thing!!
Oh...and thanks for posting the link to the ECM pocket guide...I did not have that saved in my archive!!!