PDA

View Full Version : giving notice

gemma659353
10-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Would anyone give notice to part timers in replacement for a full timer?

lisbet
10-02-2015, 10:55 PM
It's hard to answer without knowing specific circumstances, but as a general rule, no, I personally wouldn't (unless I had been very clear with the parent right at the start that I may do it.)

When I started I hoped for full timers, but actually all my children have been part time (ranging from 3 10hr days to just 1 morning) and apart from the juggling act of fitting everyone into available places, I actually like it. (None of them are here long enough to get fed up with the place, either! :laughing:)

natlou82
11-02-2015, 06:33 AM
It would be against my personal morals to do this. Once I've agreed the place I remain faithful to that family regardless what comes along. All of my families are part time and they all fit together like a jigsaw x

k1rstie
11-02-2015, 07:09 AM
I am also a 'no' too, although I know many minders who would say yes. I have also taken on a few of these binned kids over the years. Nothing 'wrong' with them except they attended their previous minder part time and a more expensive kid came along.

I think ' what goes around, comes around', and often the full time that these childminders replace with are often problematic!

I have found that often the part-timers will increase their hours, do overtime etc-

Don't forget, the modern workplace is now full of part timers and parents who do not work the typical 9 to 5.

Rubybubbles
11-02-2015, 07:13 AM
No I wouldn't give notice just to fill a full time space.

I normally end up with 2 full timers and 1 part timer (as I have now) and know 1 due to move in may, and te other over the summer! It will hit harder but I will keep them until they need me

(Live on RAF base so always loads of moment)

Kiddleywinks
11-02-2015, 07:14 AM
I'd never say never, as there's a whole range of other things that would need to be taken into account for me, but as a general rule, nope, once I've committed myself to a contract, that's it, if a new enquiry conflicts with my current commitments, then I don't have the space, end of.
I can understand the frustration though, especially when it comes to money, but unless you have a constant late payer, better the devil you know in my book.
New parent could be a nightmare payer and you end up losing your part timers and the new work and end up with nothing :p

JCrakers
11-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Generally I wouldn't but it all depends on the circumstances. If I was really struggling to pay bills and needed extra money then its something I would have to consider to keep myself and my family afloat.

Mouse
11-02-2015, 08:36 AM
I agree with what everyone else has said. My answer would generally be no, but then I never have problems filling my spaces with part timers that all fit round one another.

But, if I was struggling for work and I really needed the money (not just that I would like the extra money) then I suppose I would have to do it. I wouldn't feel comfortable about it though.

hectors house
11-02-2015, 09:07 AM
If your full timer gives notice then you have lost all your work in one go, but if a part timer gives notice you still have some income.

All of my work is now part time (I have a minimum of 7 hours a day contracts), haven't had a full timer since 2009, I have one child dropping a day to start Nursery in April, another one dropping a day in June when mum starts Maternity leave, one finishing in July as he starts school Sept and another one will be dropping 1 or 2 days Sept when he starts school - I have a lady coming to see me next week about 2 days in Sept and will have a few days available until the new sibling starts the following April.

smurfette
11-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Also take into account that parents aren't always honest with what they need .. I have had several who have said they want full time then once they start drop a day or two .. Granted parental leave or grandparents helping out. I suppose they think we won't consider them if not full time but I would rather they were honest!

Chatterbox Childcare
11-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't give notice as I believe that once I commit I stick with it (parents doing the same is a different conversation) but could you start part time on the days that you do have space and then increase under c of c in the future? I just had a child start 4 weeks ago, definately no Mondays and half day Wednesday. Yesterday mum tells me she has changed jobs and can I do a Monday too? Now I have to consider 4 on a Monday to keep the child or let her go...

Maza
11-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Also a no, except in circumstances as already mentioned. You have to think about your reputation too! x