PDA

View Full Version : LOST CAMERA

hectors house
09-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Managed to lose my digital camera on first day of ski-ing last week - fortunately I had downloaded all the photos to my computer but unfortunately I hadn't had time to delete them from the camera card.

Just wondering if I need to inform ICO, or will I be in complete breach of my registration conditions and face a fine?

I did report it lost to the tourist information office but there isn't much chance of a) it being found before the snow melts or b) it working after 3 months of being reburied every day by the piste bashers!

I have told (and apologized) to all the mindees parents - they are just more worried about the fact that I haven't currently got a digital camera to take photos to add to Tapestry on-line journals, rather than the fact that someone could view a photo of their child doing a puzzle or climbing slide steps.

blue bear
09-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Didn't want to read and run. I don't know the answer to your question but have often wondered.

lollipop kid
09-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Managed to lose my digital camera on first day of ski-ing last week - fortunately I had downloaded all the photos to my computer but unfortunately I hadn't had time to delete them from the camera card.

Just wondering if I need to inform ICO, or will I be in complete breach of my registration conditions and face a fine?

I did report it lost to the tourist information office but there isn't much chance of a) it being found before the snow melts or b) it working after 3 months of being reburied every day by the piste bashers!

I have told (and apologized) to all the mindees parents - they are just more worried about the fact that I haven't currently got a digital camera to take photos to add to Tapestry on-line journals, rather than the fact that someone could view a photo of their child doing a puzzle or climbing slide steps.

I think that perhaps a call to the ICO for their advice might help? (I'm not certain, but I think there's something in the membership terms about losing your phone/being covered). Best to check.

Good luck,

L

Simona
10-02-2015, 09:01 AM

I would agree with lollipop kid...we probably do not know the answer...best source of advice for this is ICO itself

How about the woman who seems to know so much about cms photos/record keeping...she is the one quoted in NWorld regarding the issue of photos

It would help us all to hear what they advise and reflect on how to cover such loss in future?

sing-low
10-02-2015, 09:52 AM
I have a vague recollection of seeing somewhere that you do have to advise ICO about this. But it must be something that happens fairly frequently. Does your phone have a lock code? How annoying for you - I would be lost without my phone when minding!

Just found this:
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/report-a-security-breach/
I don't think losing your phone is a serious security breach so I would say you don't have to inform them. Hth

bunyip
10-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I would agree with lollipop kid...we probably do not know the answer...best source of advice for this is ICO itself

How about the woman who seems to know so much about cms photos/record keeping...she is the one quoted in NWorld regarding the issue of photos

It would help us all to hear what they advise and reflect on how to cover such loss in future?

"...seems to know...." ? :confused:

'Nice' of you to be so positive about "the woman". Though I do believe The Fragrant Sarah has a name ..................

HH, IIWY I'd ask ICO. Not sure but I don't think they'd be too concerned. This sort of thing must happen all the time. I guess they'd maybe be interested in precautions taken in advance. eg. Making sure the images on the memory card are not tagged with personal data such as names. If that's the case, then we're probably looking at a worst-case scenario of some Austrian lonely goatherd taking a quick look at the pics before deleting them and using the card or handing it over to local plod.

shortstuff
10-02-2015, 12:24 PM

Any reason you need to be rude?

Mouse
10-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Any reason you need to be rude?

I assumed Simona was talking about Victoria Cetinkaya, the ICO senior policy officer who is quoted in the nursery world article.

shortstuff
10-02-2015, 12:49 PM
I assumed Simona was talking about Victoria Cetinkaya, the ICO senior policy officer who is quoted in the nursery world article.

but there is still no need to be so rude?

Mouse
10-02-2015, 12:57 PM
but there is still no need to be so rude?

We've obviously read it differently as I didn't see it as being rude at all :huh:

hectors house
10-02-2015, 01:16 PM
I just took the plunge and phoned the ICO - it would seem that I am not going to be locked in the Tower of London or hung, drawn and quartered, I just need to inform the parents (which I have done already) and to implement a procedure to ensure it doesn't happen again eg: deleting photos from camera card as soon as they have been downloaded to computer.

alex__17
10-02-2015, 01:42 PM
That's good to hear, I guess this is why we have to register with ico so we're covered when these things happen.

lollipop kid
10-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Well done for the update.

Sorry you lost your camera - but so glad you're covered. (It could happen to any of us, so thanks for sharing the experience! I can't ever bring myself to delete photos off my phone, even when I know they're safe on my computer, as I love sharing them with the children/parents. Now I know (have to say, I've always known I should - just find it really hard to do!) that I should delete them periodically, just in case I ever lose the phone - G forbid!)

It is always with me in a bumbag - I know, how up-to-date am I? - but you just never know!)

:thumbsup:

Simona
10-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks HH for that clarification

moggy
10-02-2015, 02:02 PM
That's good to hear, I guess this is why we have to register with ico so we're covered when these things happen.

Interested to know what you mean by being 'covered' by being ICO registered? I can't see what ICO have done to 'cover' this childminder- they have only given some sensible advice which I think Pacey or anyone in the field could have given. (not a criticism of the OP, she did the right thing to call ICO)
I am ICO registered but always looking to understand what we actually get for our £35 a year!

Simona
10-02-2015, 02:19 PM
"...seems to know...." ? :confused:

'Nice' of you to be so positive about "the woman". Though I do believe The Fragrant Sarah has a name ..................

HH, IIWY I'd ask ICO. Not sure but I don't think they'd be too concerned. This sort of thing must happen all the time. I guess they'd maybe be interested in precautions taken in advance. eg. Making sure the images on the memory card are not tagged with personal data such as names. If that's the case, then we're probably looking at a worst-case scenario of some Austrian lonely goatherd taking a quick look at the pics before deleting them and using the card or handing it over to local plod.

No Bunyip I was not referring to Sarah...or I would have stated her name...no reason not to.

I really believe you are taking this beyond the personal and truly unfair

I know that Sarah contributed to the article but I was referring to the ICO woman ...her name is Victoria Cetinkaya

You will find her here

Confusion over rules for photographs | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1149284/confusion-rules-photographs?utm_content=&utm_campaign=26.01.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1149284%2Fconfusion-rules-photographs)

hectors house
10-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Interested to know what you mean by being 'covered' by being ICO registered? I can't see what ICO have done to 'cover' this childminder- they have only given some sensible advice which I think Pacey or anyone in the field could have given. (not a criticism of the OP, she did the right thing to call ICO)
I am ICO registered but always looking to understand what we actually get for our £35 a year!

I'm not really sure what I expected them to do with the information either that I had lost my camera - was worried that they would use my £35 to send me a big fine for not looking after the data properly! Would have been quite nice though if they could have send a St Bernard out to retrieve my camera buried under the snow - sure if would have been easy to find, it still had traces of jam on (from where the children smeared jam over toilet roll tubes and covered in bird seeds) for bird feeders and probably cake mix too from where we made cakes for mindees mum's birthday, 2 days before I lost it.

You never know it may turn up in the Spring, maybe it's indestructible like those cars they try to destroy on Top Gear, but in the meantime, can anyone recommend a good digital camera for about £80 max (didn't really want to use my birthday money - but guess I will have to).

rickysmiths
10-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Can you not claim on your holiday insurance for the Camera and a new memory card?

bunyip
10-02-2015, 06:51 PM
No Bunyip I was not referring to Sarah...or I would have stated her name...no reason not to.

I really believe you are taking this beyond the personal and truly unfair

I know that Sarah contributed to the article but I was referring to the ICO woman ...her name is Victoria Cetinkaya

You will find her here

Confusion over rules for photographs | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1149284/confusion-rules-photographs?utm_content=&utm_campaign=26.01.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1149284%2Fconfusion-rules-photographs)

Thank you for the clarification at least. FYO, and since you are prone to retreating behind the ESOL excuse, it may be helpful to remember that "that woman" is frequently a form of anger/rudeness.

Anyway, it's not like it would be the first bit of sniping, this month is it.....? :mad:

hectors house
10-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Can you not claim on your holiday insurance for the Camera and a new memory card?

I knew we didn't have "belongings away from the home" on contents insurance but thought I would be covered on Holiday insurance (Annual holiday cover with Admiral) but when I spoke to them they said I hadn't "ticked" gadgets (phones, cameras, i-pads etc) although not sure I saw it come up as on option, could claim on "general luggage" but excess is £150 - so first time in 31 years I have tried to claim on an insurance company (other than car accidents) I find I am not covered anyway - grrrr!:angry:

lollipop kid
10-02-2015, 07:19 PM
I knew we didn't have "belongings away from the home" on contents insurance but thought I would be covered on Holiday insurance (Annual holiday cover with Admiral) but when I spoke to them they said I hadn't "ticked" gadgets (phones, cameras, i-pads etc) although not sure I saw it come up as on option, could claim on "general luggage" but excess is £150 - so first time in 31 years I have tried to claim on an insurance company (other than car accidents) I find I am not covered anyway - grrrr!:angry:

That is so gutting, but so typical of Insurance firms.

I once tried to claim on my travel insurance for a lost (very expensive) earring that my other half bought me on honeymoon, which I promptly lost on the way back. Even though I'd gone through all the hoops they wanted me to, they just stopped coming back to me, until I got bored following it up and just left it. (I had the remaining earring made into a beautiful ring that I wear when I'm not minding.)

I learned at a very early age that sometimes, insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I've only ever tried to make an insurance claim once, and even then, they refused until I went through the Ombudsman! (And this was long before I was a childminder.)

Aldi quite often do good Digital cameras that are fairly affordable when they have their offers. Personally, I don't use one as I just use my iPhone, then load the photos onto a tiny Apple mac for Tapestry etc. It works for me.

Good luck,

L

Simona
10-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Thank you for the clarification at least. FYO, and since you are prone to retreating behind the ESOL excuse, it may be helpful to remember that "that woman" is frequently a form of anger/rudeness.

Anyway, it's not like it would be the first bit of sniping, this month is it.....? :mad:

I referred to 'the woman at ICO' not 'that woman' and no rudeness was intended on my part.

hectors house
11-02-2015, 07:43 AM
That is so gutting, but so typical of Insurance firms.

I once tried to claim on my travel insurance for a lost (very expensive) earring that my other half bought me on honeymoon, which I promptly lost on the way back. Even though I'd gone through all the hoops they wanted me to, they just stopped coming back to me, until I got bored following it up and just left it. (I had the remaining earring made into a beautiful ring that I wear when I'm not minding.)

I learned at a very early age that sometimes, insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I've only ever tried to make an insurance claim once, and even then, they refused until I went through the Ombudsman! (And this was long before I was a childminder.)

Aldi quite often do good Digital cameras that are fairly affordable when they have their offers. Personally, I don't use one as I just use my iPhone, then load the photos onto a tiny Apple mac for Tapestry etc. It works for me.

Good luck,

L

Think I am going to have to phone Admiral before we go on another holiday to update the annual policy to cover "gadgets" and to tell them that I hope if I ever need to claim on my multi car policy with them that they don't find some way of not paying out.

lollipop kid
11-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Think I am going to have to phone Admiral before we go on another holiday to update the annual policy to cover "gadgets" and to tell them that I hope if I ever need to claim on my multi car policy with them that they don't find some way of not paying out.

Good for you. Read the small print of your policy document. Bear in mind that they are bound by the terms of the policy document you originally got with the policy - not by the updates made by them subsequently. Plus, keep copies of any new cover you put in place. Don't leave them any wriggle room! :censored:

L

Simona
11-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Some FAQs on the ICO website for Cms.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/register/faqs/