PDA

View Full Version : Agencies - today

Chatterbox Childcare
08-02-2015, 05:57 PM
This was the Politics Show today. Starts at 43 minutes for about 5 minutes. I am really proud of the way the children behaved

BBC iPlayer - Sunday Politics South - 08/02/2015 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0511j9b/sunday-politics-south-08022015)

hectors house
08-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Well done Debbie and the children were a credit to you. I have just come home from ski-ing holiday in shared catered chalet (didn't know any of the couples before hand) - one lady said she didn't know if she would have children because she has a really good job but that childcare is Sooooo Expensive! I soon put her right, it turned out she had no idea how much childcare did cost, she just believed what she heard from the media - her "good job" turned out to be that she was a Dr/consultant in a hospital - so it's not that she couldn't afford to pay for childcare she just seemed to think that it should be free. I pointed out to her that in order to do that everyone would be paying 50% income tax and that wouldn't be fair on people who choose not to have children.

moggy
08-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Not sure if this link will work, this is just the relevant section of the show:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=785777951512797&fref=nf

lisbet
08-02-2015, 08:31 PM
You and the children did us all proud, Debbie! :clapping:

hectors house, the misconception about childcare costs is SO frustrating! When a mother on that clip was saying that it would cost her £100 a day for 4 children I wanted to point out that it's cheaper (per hour) to have your child cared for than it is to have your house cleaned or dog walked!! :rolleyes:

And as for the childcare minister...:ohdear:

Chatterbox Childcare
08-02-2015, 10:04 PM
I was very nervous about what would be put together but overall I think the bbc got it right this time

As to the lady with 4 children what does she expect, she had them!

hectors house
09-02-2015, 07:49 AM
I was very nervous about what would be put together but overall I think the bbc got it right this time

Completely agree about the lady with 4 children, she could still work weekends or evenings when her husband/partner can look after the children - sometimes the "high cost of childcare" mantra is just used by parents who actually don't want to go back to work or don't want to have children in the first place because they would interfere in the parents social lives. (think this was actually the case of the doctor in my post - she liked to go ski-ing, alpine ski-ing in the UK, climbing and cycling all over Europe).

watford wizz
09-02-2015, 09:25 AM
The lady with 4 children spouts the usual case of coats in summer hols, school hols are only 13weeks I'm sure if she got a job she would be working more weeks than that. She needs to calculate the cost over her whole working year not just the the summer hols and then save up for the extra expense like the rest of us on a buget have to do. It's also about continuing your career and not having to re-train or take demotion, maybe a few "lost leader" years but spread out over a whole working life.

watford wizz
09-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Cost not coats!

Simona
09-02-2015, 09:34 AM

The BBC man asked the right questions and your children were totally unphased by it all...well done to them

I ...and many others...object to Sam Gyimah telling us agencies are a choice when all he is doing is selling the idea to parents with utter nonsense.

Agencies are a choice for CMs to join and parents to go to...so both need to be sold on a level playing field...unlike 4 Children who spend thousands on advertising agencies in NWorld...that is unfair competition.
Gyimah stated cms are cheaper...he mentioned pacey but no other association. He didn't even go near how much an agency would charge parents

Trio childcare stated they'd rather see cms care for children than do paperwork...how many cms actually do paperwork when children are present?
They state they want to be informed on the agency saga and yet knew very little of what cms think and do.

The MP said it would relieve cms of doing administration and finances and lower costs...so why is the govt looking at reducing costs to nurseries but not Cms?

We were very vocal during the build up to the Children and Family Act 2014...we now need to be extra vigilant because despite the Act all is very hush hush.

The fight continues.

AliceK
09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Well done Debbie. :clapping:

I am so sick of people assuming we as childminders are rolling in money. I had the exact same conversation with of all people, my OH at the weekend. He of all people should know how little I actually make.

Instead of parents moaning about how much childcare costs like the lady with 4 children, why doesn't she realise that £100 per day is only £25 per child for the day. She chose to have 4 children. I don't think £25 per day is a lot. If my children went to BS and AS club that in itself would cost me £18 per child per day and that's only before and after school.

xxxx

rickysmiths
09-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I love the way they still think joining an Agency will reduce a cms paperwork by magic!

I don't think that would happen.

No Ofsted Inspections but Agency ones more frequently and prob harder because all Agencies will want Outstanding Grading and for the same reason I bet they will require even more paperwork than we do now so they can evidence for their Inspections.

And there is a question of the costs to the cm of joining an Agency and those costs will be passed on unless the Agency dictate the fees asked for my their cms.

I think it is absolutely telling that there is still only one fully registered Agency open in the Country and I suspect they are having limited success because if it had been fantastic with cm lining up to join I am sure we would have had that rammed down our throats and dozens of Agencies would have registered by now.

I haven't seen one comment by any cm on here or FB who lives near St bedes telling us all about it either????

I hope Debbie will keep us posted about the progress of the Agency near her when it opens.

Well done Debbie and well done to the Children.

Simona
09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
I love the way they still think joining an Agency will reduce a cms paperwork by magic!

I don't think that would happen.

No Ofsted Inspections but Agency ones more frequently and prob harder because all Agencies will want Outstanding Grading and for the same reason I bet they will require even more paperwork than we do now so they can evidence for their Inspections.

And there is a question of the costs to the cm of joining an Agency and those costs will be passed on unless the Agency dictate the fees asked for my their cms.

I think it is absolutely telling that there is still only one fully registered Agency open in the Country and I suspect they are having limited success because if it had been fantastic with cm lining up to join I am sure we would have had that rammed down our throats and dozens of Agencies would have registered by now.

I haven't seen one comment by any cm on here or FB who lives near St bedes telling us all about it either????

I hope Debbie will keep us posted about the progress of the Agency near her when it opens.

Well done Debbie and well done to the Children.

They are probably sworn to secrecy!

St Bede's are the only agency open but many are in the process of registering...including my LA...but that's another story although I have referred it to my MP and my association...we have a meeting shortly!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
The BBC man asked the right questions and your children were totally unphased by it all...well done to them

I ...and many others...object to Sam Gyimah telling us agencies are a choice when all he is doing is selling the idea to parents with utter nonsense.

Agencies are a choice for CMs to join and parents to go to...so both need to be sold on a level playing field...unlike 4 Children who spend thousands on advertising agencies in NWorld...that is unfair competition.
Gyimah stated cms are cheaper...he mentioned pacey but no other association. He didn't even go near how much an agency would charge parents

Trio childcare stated they'd rather see cms care for children than do paperwork...how many cms actually do paperwork when children are present?
They state they want to be informed on the agency saga and yet knew very little of what cms think and do.The MP said it would relieve cms of doing administration and finances and lower costs...so why is the govt looking at reducing costs to nurseries but not Cms?

We were very vocal during the build up to the Children and Family Act 2014...we now need to be extra vigilant because despite the Act all is very hush hush.

The fight continues.

If I am reading this right you are saying that Trio do not have their finger on the pulse. You could not be more wrong as they support, very well, 400+ childminders. I seem to be the only childminder on forums saying that we have brilliant support from my LA, this support is provided by Trio.

loocyloo
09-02-2015, 04:23 PM
My LA provide great support, but it's all 'in house'.
No agencies round our way either.

rickysmiths
09-02-2015, 08:11 PM
My LA provide good support. They looked into becoming an Agency but they decided it would be too expensive for cm. They reckoned they would have to charge a min of £880 a year to provide the min in terms of support CPD etc.

Simona
09-02-2015, 08:47 PM
If I am reading this right you are saying that Trio do not have their finger on the pulse. You could not be more wrong as they support, very well, 400+ childminders. I seem to be the only childminder on forums saying that we have brilliant support from my LA, this support is provided by Trio.

No ...that is not what I was saying...but no worries as I was going by what the woman said about cms.
I am sure Trio offer good support but in the end they want to become an agency...or have I got that wrong?
I am aware that some LAs still offer good support but that is not the point.

RS...many LAs tried to register their interest in becoming an agency....mine is a particular case which has provoked much concern and many article have been written about it...look in recent EYE and NWorld articles for more information.

What many think about the programme is that it did not compare or flag up independent CMs and the good service they offer...giving parents choice....therefore there was no level playing field.

Daisy1956
09-02-2015, 10:34 PM
St Bede is in my area but I haven't seen or heard anything of them since their initial visits to cm groups to market themselves and no one was interested.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
I am sure Trio offer good support but in the end they want to become an agency...or have I got that wrong?
I am aware that some LAs still offer good support but that is not the point.

What many think about the programme is that it did not compare or flag up independent CMs and the good service they offer...giving parents choice....therefore there was no level playing field.

I believe Trio are becoming an agency so that if there has to be one they would rather there was one understanding quality. If they want to you would have to ask them?

I thought the parents interviewed did that for us - especially when the lady said "quality over cost"

Simona
10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
I believe Trio are becoming an agency so that if there has to be one they would rather there was one understanding quality. If they want to you would have to ask them?

I thought the parents interviewed did that for us - especially when the lady said "quality over cost"

Yes that parent explained very well...and your input showed you offer quality
I am not sure how those cms in your area who do not wish to join Trio will compete against those who do?
Can Trio support agency cms equally to those who do not?

My view is that there were too many questions left unanswered and I felt the minister, the Trio woman and pacey were giving individual opinions...in other words they did not seem to be in the same room? there was no cm asking her own question

Agencies will continue to trigger debate and that has to be welcome if choice is to be the prime aim.