PDA

View Full Version : Fees policy - whats in yours?

mumofone
04-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Just wondered whether everyone has a "fees policy" and what information you include in this. Do you state your hourly rate or just say "fees are as per your contract"?
Does everyone charge a deposit or retainer fee?
Is payment one month in advance acceptable/normal practice? And do you ask that this is done by standing order or other?
Is a one month termination notice normal?
I know everyone can set their own rules so I'm guessing ultimately it's my choice but wanted to get your opinions to help me on my way :-)
Also is it normal to charge extra on a bank holiday or outside "normal" hours?
Thank you :-)

alex__17
04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I do only because it's what parents ask for so I email it on after they visit
States hours rates food included meal times, and terms so in advance monthly etc

Also states charges for sickness holiday late fees late collection etc I like to have it separate to contract in the hope it gets read properly!

moggy
04-02-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't do it as a 'policy' but as an info sheet, as no point asking them to sign agreement to a policy that repeats what is in the contract.

I make my info sheet really simple (parents see it in my portfolio and I email it to them after they visit me. Actual contract they don't usually see until day of signing unless they ask and none ever have)

I explain fees, deposit (4 weeks fees in advance + contract signed to secure place, don't mind how they pay). Holidays all explained there too- I use Pacey contracts so a lot is taken from there.
Fees payable in advance on 1st of month.
Double fees outside my normal opening hours (8-5.30 Mon-Thurs). I do not work bank hols and wouldn't even if asked.
4 weeks notice either way to terminate contract.

natlou82
05-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I have a policy but that's because I missed a few small points in contract. So best practice is to make sure you get it all on contract. I don't work bank hols as a rule but may consider if someone really needed me and would charge a slightly higher fee. The same applies to out of hrs. I don't accept cheques but any other payment methods are fine.

Simona
05-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Just wondered whether everyone has a "fees policy" and what information you include in this. Do you state your hourly rate or just say "fees are as per your contract"?
Does everyone charge a deposit or retainer fee?
Is payment one month in advance acceptable/normal practice? And do you ask that this is done by standing order or other?
Is a one month termination notice normal?
I know everyone can set their own rules so I'm guessing ultimately it's my choice but wanted to get your opinions to help me on my way :-)
Also is it normal to charge extra on a bank holiday or outside "normal" hours?
Thank you :-)

If you do a fee policy it is totally your choice but 3 things...in my view...are very important and need to be included in it

Parents do need to sign that they have read your policies but that does not guarantee they will follow them...the contract is the binding document when signed by all parties make sure you have a special section for this...if your contract does not have it ADD it to your Terms and Conditions
Unfortunately some 'off the shelf' contracts are very limited in T&C

1. Fees are reviewed yearly on such and such a date
you may raise fees or not but a regular review means your fees are not stagnant and sustain your business ...parents are warned in advance and cannot be surprised or complain...think ahead about thsi...and by that I mean think about what Cm agencies will do!!

2. Fess are due on such and such a date (you choose) and late payment...unless discussed and authorised ...will mean no care. Be strict as many parents will quote 'late Tax credits' for non payment ...that should not be your problem but theirs.
Be careful about charging late payment fee...if in doubt check with your insurance

3. your preference on how you wish to be paid...avoid cash if you can

Good luck :thumbsup:

bunyip
05-02-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't have a fees policy.

I feel it's unneccessary to duplicate what's already in the contracts or, at worse, could lead to misinterpretation and possibly contradict what's in the contract.

I do include things like exclusions, termination of contracts, etc. in my admissions policy, which also states all the stuff about equality of access to my service, etc. Most other things, including my expectations, are covered between the contract and the permissions form.

Be careful if you put £figures in a fees policy. You'll close down any option to be flexible or negotiate one-off arrangements, and not all families will fit the mould of sessions, etc.

Simona
05-02-2015, 09:06 AM
A fee policy should never mention precise amount for fees...only your ethos and your requirements to run your settings

Fees are only in the contract and the contract should have a blank space for you to fill in with the parents when you agree your care and before signing the mutual agreement

Some CMs do bargain with parents on fees...totally up to them ...others offer discount for siblings...that is a personal choice
Please reflect on that because our funding and Pupil Premium will be the same for ALL children...parents also get help with childcare based on the number of children they have and it is not discounted because they have 2 children or more

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
I have read the previous answers and have to agree and ask "what does a fees policy do that your contract does not?".

I don't have a fees policy either as everything is in my contract.

It isn't just this subject but we seem to be going policy mad, especially as they are not required under the EYFS.

watford wizz
05-02-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't have a fee policy either I find my contract cover everything. Every families needs are different and I negotiate with each family accordingly.

mumofone
05-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I have read the previous answers and have to agree and ask "what does a fees policy do that your contract does not?". I don't have a fees policy either as everything is in my contract. It isn't just this subject but we seem to be going policy mad, especially as they are not required under the EYFS.

Thanks CC, I'm glad you said this as I have to say when I first read that "you need a fees policy" I thought that stating your fees shouldn't be a "policy" as such but more an information sheet as I think moggy said. So it's good to get all your views on the subject.

Rather than call it a policy I think I will stick to an information sheet on fees and the contract alone.

Would be so good if a definitive list of policies would be published rather than having so many Grey areas. The goalposts seem to change as soon as you begin to challenge what's REALLY required! :-)

mumofone
05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
A fee policy should never mention precise amount for fees...only your ethos and your requirements to run your settings Fees are only in the contract and the contract should have a blank space for you to fill in with the parents when you agree your care and before signing the mutual agreement Some CMs do bargain with parents on fees...totally up to them ...others offer discount for siblings...that is a personal choice Please reflect on that because our funding and Pupil Premium will be the same for ALL children...parents also get help with childcare based on the number of children they have and it is not discounted because they have 2 children or more

Thanks Simona :-)

bunyip
05-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks CC, I'm glad you said this as I have to say when I first read that "you need a fees policy" I thought that stating your fees shouldn't be a "policy" as such but more an information sheet as I think moggy said. So it's good to get all your views on the subject.

Rather than call it a policy I think I will stick to an information sheet on fees and the contract alone.

Would be so good if a definitive list of policies would be published rather than having so many Grey areas. The goalposts seem to change as soon as you begin to challenge what's REALLY required! :-)

When told you must do something, first ask "is this beneficial for my business?" then "is this a statutory requirement?"

A helpful checklist for all the 'helpful' "professionals" who will tell you that you "must" do something:-

1. Who says so?
2. On what authority?
3. Why?
4. Please show me where it says that in the regulations/law.
5. And what exactly will happen to me if I refuse? (...because I am refusing.)

Simona
05-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Good to hear all the support has helped
The EYFS is the place you would think and reflect on policies you require...very clear there...as a cm you need few but best to show good practice or an inspector can grade down and add extra ones.
If you look at LAs websites there will be an endless list of policies....no need ...just concentrate on the vital ones.

The important part is your Terms and Conditions of your contract....make sure both parents sign these...those are legally binding!