PDA

View Full Version : Dont know what to do

melco
03-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Hi,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. In September last year I took on a child who I got paid through Care to Learn. Every started off fine, there were some days where I did not have him because either his Mum was ill or the child was but payment was in advance so all ok.

Since January I have only had the child 4 days, and last week I got a text saying I was not needed and not heard anything, I have called and text to find out what is happening but no response.

I am now concerned that she no longer needs me but has not told me. This is my main earner as was 5 days a week. If this child does leave I will have a space but have a sibling of another child I look after starting in October, can I take on someone new knowing I will have a new child starting later in the year so I would then be over my numbers?

I just don't know what is best to do, walk away and look for someone else (if I can) or keep trying to get hold of her and see if she is coming.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

melco

chris goodyear
03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
I think as you received a text saying you were not needed and not heard since I would presume that you are not needed any more at all. Some parents do just leave you hanging on, either through ignorance or plain rudeness so I would go ahead and look to fill your place. As to the October senario it's a long way off and anything can happen in that time.
I have driven myself mad many times trying to make sure I don't let anybody down and looking too far ahead but I've learnt that we don't usually get the same consideration (there are exceptions) from the parents so now I mostly work in the present and not tie myself up in knots working out all the possibles!
Not sure how to advise about the money you have received as care to learn probably paid up front.

TinyTinker
03-02-2015, 11:04 AM
not sure how care to learn works - but could you call them (if you have a contact regarding payments) and see if she's still on there programme or if she has left education! They may not tell you, but possibility.

I would start advertising your place anyway until you know what is happening......as you may get a temporary contract or something.

it's horrible not knowing what you're doing and not being able to get answers!

JCrakers
03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Sounds like she's not given you a second thought....I would repay the favour by doing the same back :D:thumbsup:

melco
03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I think as you received a text saying you were not needed and not heard since I would presume that you are not needed any more at all. Some parents do just leave you hanging on, either through ignorance or plain rudeness so I would go ahead and look to fill your place. As to the October senario it's a long way off and anything can happen in that time.
I have driven myself mad many times trying to make sure I don't let anybody down and looking too far ahead but I've learnt that we don't usually get the same consideration (there are exceptions) from the parents so now I mostly work in the present and not tie myself up in knots working out all the possibles!
Not sure how to advise about the money you have received as care to learn probably paid up front.

She said I was not needed that day as he was at grandparents, I replied thanks for letting me know and a reminder that we had toddlers the next day and she replied to that saying ok thanks, and then I have not heard from her since.

I have been paid in advance for February and have heard from other Childminders that they are very good and will give the 4 weeks notice that is in the contract, but its still just frustrating the not knowing, every day I am in limbo. I have had it before where I have had a text to say they are not coming and then not heard from her for a couple of days but then she texts with an apology and then he has come back but this is the longest time without hearing anything!!

Mummits
03-02-2015, 11:38 AM
There is something in the PACEY contracts that says you can terminate the contract if you do not hear from the parent for x days. In your position, I would readvertise the place then give the first parent notice. The Pay to Learn people should pay the notice period.

...and I wouldn't worry at this point about what may or may not happen in September, as all sorts of things could change before then. Maybe look at your options in about July.

k1rstie
03-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Is she a younger mother?, maybe she does to really understand how childminding works? As you have been paid, maybe she thinks she does not need to talk to you.

You need to sit down with her and explain again your expectations of her.

( with my 2 year old funding, I am supposed to inform the LA about long period of absence. Do you need to inform your funders of attendance?)

melco
03-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Is she a younger mother?, maybe she does to really understand how childminding works? As you have been paid, maybe she thinks she does not need to talk to you.

You need to sit down with her and explain again your expectations of her.

( with my 2 year old funding, I am supposed to inform the LA about long period of absence. Do you need to inform your funders of attendance?)

Yes she is and I have spoken to her explaining as she is also not very good at timekeeping and understanding that I have school runs to do etc, so I sent her a timetable detailing what we are doing each day with times etc to help but I have only had him three days since then and she had exams so probably only had him 6 hours in total.

If I don't hear from her in the next couple of days I will contact care to learn and explain that I had to end the contract giving 4 weeks notice which I have already received so then I will not get any more payment

funemnx
03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
If you think she is not coming back, I would suggest writing a letter to her and sending it 'signed for' just saying you are assuming she has ended the contract with 4 weeks notice as she has not returned your repeated calls and that you will contact Care to Learn in a weeks time. This will give her time to get in touch with you, if she has left college without telling the college....

melco
03-02-2015, 02:05 PM
If you think she is not coming back, I would suggest writing a letter to her and sending it 'signed for' just saying you are assuming she has ended the contract with 4 weeks notice as she has not returned your repeated calls and that you will contact Care to Learn in a weeks time. This will give her time to get in touch with you, if she has left college without telling the college....

Thank you, sounds a good idea

jaykay79
03-02-2015, 05:17 PM
sounds like a dream scenario to me, pays for space but does not send in child :clapping: x

Kerry30
03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I had a young parent years ago and i was paid by care to learn. Parents time keeping was terrible, didnt turn up when should of done and i couldnt get hold of her to find out if lo was coming or not. Lo wouldnt come for weeks at a time. I understand how you feel as it was my main income at the time. Conversations about letting me know if lo was coming or not fell on deaf ears. Didnt help that care to learn were terrible at paying on time (think it was all new then).
Turned out that parent had been doing exams, not at college so much and was switching courses, hence why lo hadnt been coming. Funnily enough it was around this time of year too! After that lo came on a regular basis and time keeping was much better.
Sometimes i think cos their not paying you out of their own money it doesnt occur to them to let you know if things change for them. Keep pushing for a definite answer from parent. My experience of care to learn was that they were very unhelpful and just kept telling me to contact parent but dont no what their like now.

melco
03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
I had a young parent years ago and i was paid by care to learn. Parents time keeping was terrible, didnt turn up when should of done and i couldnt get hold of her to find out if lo was coming or not. Lo wouldnt come for weeks at a time. I understand how you feel as it was my main income at the time. Conversations about letting me know if lo was coming or not fell on deaf ears. Didnt help that care to learn were terrible at paying on time (think it was all new then).
Turned out that parent had been doing exams, not at college so much and was switching courses, hence why lo hadnt been coming. Funnily enough it was around this time of year too! After that lo came on a regular basis and time keeping was much better.
Sometimes i think cos their not paying you out of their own money it doesnt occur to them to let you know if things change for them. Keep pushing for a definite answer from parent. My experience of care to learn was that they were very unhelpful and just kept telling me to contact parent but dont no what their like now.

Thank you for your reply, I did exactly the same as you, with the timetable I also said that I wanted a text before 8am as to whether child was coming or not!! So many days were messed up and we did not get to go to some toddler groups, so I got tough and things would be good for a week and then rubbish again.

Care to learn have actually been brilliant with payment, it did take 6 weeks to set up but since then payment has been on time every month in advance.

Anyway basically I got a text from the Mum!! Its not good though, she said

Hi, sorry my phone completely broke bu I am not sure if X is going to come back because I am deciding whether to carry on with school. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So what do I reply? She has not given notice but I think that will be the case, should I ask when she will know or shall I be the one to give the notice?

Thanks

melco

Ripeberry
03-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Give her until the end of February to make up her mind. Say if you don't hear from her either way by then, that her space has gone! That should make her concentrate on what she wants.

Mummits
03-02-2015, 08:21 PM
If you do give her a month to make up her mind, make sure she knows that she will still need to give notice and that you will have to be paid for the notice, or she will doubtless think she can leave things hanging so you cannot fill the space and then disappear without paying for March.

Kerry30
04-02-2015, 12:53 PM
The good old excuse that her phone broke. I had that one all the time !
I would say you need an answer by xx date as there is a notice period that needs to be paid for that she agreed to in the contract. As the contract is between you and parent.
My worry would be if you leave it to long, will care to learn still pay as technically shes not in college.
(I had this years ago when 2yr funding paid monthly, a parent only brought lo for a few weeks then decided she didnt want to send lo anymore. Had to get Trio involved in the end as council didnt want to pay the 4wks notice and i couldnt chase parent as they'd disappeared).
Some experiences make you wary!
Glad care to learn are more reliable with paying now x

Jenny2
04-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Personally I f not answering phone and you have a contract that says 4 wks notice then I would go round to the home and speak to parent/s

JCrakers
04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I would write a letter and hand post it.

State that because you have not heard or had contact since (date) and say that from that date the contract will be terminated and care will no longer be given from (date)

rickysmiths
04-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes she is and I have spoken to her explaining as she is also not very good at timekeeping and understanding that I have school runs to do etc, so I sent her a timetable detailing what we are doing each day with times etc to help but I have only had him three days since then and she had exams so probably only had him 6 hours in total.

If I don't hear from her in the next couple of days I will contact care to learn and explain that I had to end the contract giving 4 weeks notice which I have already received so then I will not get any more payment

Personally before you speak to Care to Learn I would call the Welfare Office at the College she is attending to find out if she is still attending. It is an odd time of year at some Educational Institutions. Some will be on holiday this week as it is the end of the First Semester and they have just had 2 weeks of exams. If she has dropped out she may need some support so if you have a relationship with your local Children's Centre (or hers if she lives near a different one) because she will be in their radar as a younger mum and they will be in fairly regular contact with her. She may just be off for the week.

I know it is frustrating but these Mums live in a different zone to us! I had one 5 years ago and now you wouldn't recognize her. She did a L3 and was selected to do a L4 and has worked even in her holidays she did work experience which I encouraged her to do, college signed it off and so Care to Learn continued to pay for her childcare through the summer, this helped because she was offered a job as soon as she got her L4. He toddler then got 2 year funding and left to go to a Nursery, cm in my County couldn't offer it then. He has gone from strength to strength and she has a lovely partner and another little boy now. I feel very privileged to have helped them along that road.

melco
04-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies

I was thinking of replying something like this:

Hi X, so sorry to hear that, if you decide not to go back I will miss looking after X. I am happy to hold the space open until the end of February to give you some to think about what you want to do. If you could then let me know whether X is coming back or you are giving 4 weeks notice as in contract. If I don't hear back from you I will assume you are not coming back and I will send confirmation with 4 weeks notice starting from 2nd March. I look forward to hearing from you and good luck in making the right decision for you and X.

Does that sound ok? My worry is though that like some of you have said she may not be going to school at the moment and each month I get a letter confirming he has been in my care the month before, I just sent one off for January but only ended up having him for 5 days as she had exams.I was going to wait until end of Feb and then contact Care to learn saying 4 weeks notice has been given so child will not longer be in my care from 27th March.

I have all text messages between me and her to back it up and was going to send above in an email so that I can show that I have done all I can to accommodate her and her child.

What do you think?