PDA

View Full Version : HMRC - what are they like!

Mummits
30-01-2015, 04:47 PM
I just submitted my tax return earlier this week. It's a complete mystery to me - a bit like playing the fruit machines. I went onto my account and it said they owed me £400. How or why I don't know as I just pay them what they say I owe. Anyway, I thought good, that will come off my tax bill. But I put in my figures and it said I had to pay just over £400, but no mention of the credit being netted off. Then I tried to find the page where it said I was owed £400 and couldn't find it. So then I cancelled my tax return, and the page saying they owed me £400 came back, so I asked for it to be credited to my bank account. Then I resubmitted my tax return and they said I had to pay £400, which I did. I did wonder whether they would actually send me the credit, but they have. By the way, there was no mention whatsoever of a credit or refund at the end of April last year so I wonder what would have happened if I had paid it then (instead of hanging onto the money and getting fourpence interest).

Simona
30-01-2015, 09:27 PM
I just submitted my tax return earlier this week. It's a complete mystery to me - a bit like playing the fruit machines. I went onto my account and it said they owed me £400. How or why I don't know as I just pay them what they say I owe. Anyway, I thought good, that will come off my tax bill. But I put in my figures and it said I had to pay just over £400, but no mention of the credit being netted off. Then I tried to find the page where it said I was owed £400 and couldn't find it. So then I cancelled my tax return, and the page saying they owed me £400 came back, so I asked for it to be credited to my bank account. Then I resubmitted my tax return and they said I had to pay £400, which I did. I did wonder whether they would actually send me the credit, but they have. By the way, there was no mention whatsoever of a credit or refund at the end of April last year so I wonder what would have happened if I had paid it then (instead of hanging onto the money and getting fourpence interest).

The best way to deal with this is to give them a call and sort it out...if they owe you money that will be refunded to you
Don' t delay ...just call them