PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about the pre-reg visit

Karen2015
29-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Hello all,
I'm new to this website and have read many of the threads and have confused myself even more.
Can you please let me know exactly what I need for the pre-reg visit.
I have completed the CYPOP5, Paed.First Aid, attended the childminding briefing session and completed the safeguarding certificate.
I am expecting Ofsted to call any day now to book the pre-reg. visit.
I have not completed the Level 2 Food hygiene certificate - this somehow escaped me and then I read it was a requirement on here (as I say, I think I knew this (makes perfect sense) so I know I need to get that done.
Q.1
I know I can complete the Level 2 food hygiene course online but is the certificate sent in an email that I can print off later or do I need a 'working' printer at the time of completion? Asking this as my printer is having a few problems at the minute - wonder if I can forward the certificate and print it at the library - if that's possible.
Q.2
Will the inspector need to see my policies and procedures, accident forms, contracts, complaints forms, during the visit?
I haven't printed any of these as I had it in my head that they only needed to see these in the follow-up 'grading' visit but read on here that someone on this site showed them during the pre-reg. Is this a requirement? And is it also true that I only NEED a safeguarding policy and that the necessity of the others has been abolished?
Q.3
Am I supposed to already have a business account set up, public liability insurance?
Q.4
I feel like I am missing everything and totally unprepared - please can you let me know if there is anything else I have missed or whether I need these or not.

Thank you so much for any help you give me.
Karen

sing-low
30-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Hello all, I'm new to this website and have read many of the threads and have confused myself even more. Can you please let me know exactly what I need for the pre-reg visit. I have completed the CYPOP5, Paed.First Aid, attended the childminding briefing session and completed the safeguarding certificate. I am expecting Ofsted to call any day now to book the pre-reg. visit. I have not completed the Level 2 Food hygiene certificate - this somehow escaped me and then I read it was a requirement on here (as I say, I think I knew this (makes perfect sense) so I know I need to get that done. Q.1 I know I can complete the Level 2 food hygiene course online but is the certificate sent in an email that I can print off later or do I need a 'working' printer at the time of completion? Asking this as my printer is having a few problems at the minute - wonder if I can forward the certificate and print it at the library - if that's possible. Q.2 Will the inspector need to see my policies and procedures, accident forms, contracts, complaints forms, during the visit? I haven't printed any of these as I had it in my head that they only needed to see these in the follow-up 'grading' visit but read on here that someone on this site showed them during the pre-reg. Is this a requirement? And is it also true that I only NEED a safeguarding policy and that the necessity of the others has been abolished? Q.3 Am I supposed to already have a business account set up, public liability insurance? Q.4 I feel like I am missing everything and totally unprepared - please can you let me know if there is anything else I have missed or whether I need these or not. Thank you so much for any help you give me. Karen
Hi Karen, welcome to the Forum! That's exciting that you are expecting your pre-reg visit soon. To deal with your concerns in order,
1. Food hygiene requirements are down to your local authority. I don't have a level 2 certificate and that was ok when I had my food inspection (recommended but not required). The main thing you need is the Safer food better business for childminders pack (can download). I think Ofsted now register you with the food hygiene people.
2. The Inspector may want to see your policies (most of those should be within your cypop5 course work). You are right, that we don't have to have policies written down, however, you are expected to be able to explain them to an inspector (and possibly in the event of an accident to your insurance company) and this is easier if they are written down. Also worth remembering that if you are registered on the childcare register, there are different requirements for written policies.
I would suggest that when the inspector phones to arrange a visit, you ask her (or him) what they want to see and whether they can look at policies on a computer.
3. Business account is not necessary. I don't have one. If you want a separate account then you can open another current account but with a business account you will have to pay fees to use it. PLL you don't need yet. If the inspector says you have to have it you can phone and arrange it during the inspection. Again, ask when she calls.
4. You don't sound like you are totally unprepared! It is lots to do and there is no ultimate list of what you must do (infuriatingly!). Only other thing is your 'are you ready for your inspection booklet'. Answer the questions in that, make sure you know your safeguarding and good luck!

mumofone
30-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Hello all, I'm new to this website and have read many of the threads and have confused myself even more. Can you please let me know exactly what I need for the pre-reg visit. I have completed the CYPOP5, Paed.First Aid, attended the childminding briefing session and completed the safeguarding certificate. I am expecting Ofsted to call any day now to book the pre-reg. visit. I have not completed the Level 2 Food hygiene certificate - this somehow escaped me and then I read it was a requirement on here (as I say, I think I knew this (makes perfect sense) so I know I need to get that done. Q.1 I know I can complete the Level 2 food hygiene course online but is the certificate sent in an email that I can print off later or do I need a 'working' printer at the time of completion? Asking this as my printer is having a few problems at the minute - wonder if I can forward the certificate and print it at the library - if that's possible. Q.2 Will the inspector need to see my policies and procedures, accident forms, contracts, complaints forms, during the visit? I haven't printed any of these as I had it in my head that they only needed to see these in the follow-up 'grading' visit but read on here that someone on this site showed them during the pre-reg. Is this a requirement? And is it also true that I only NEED a safeguarding policy and that the necessity of the others has been abolished? Q.3 Am I supposed to already have a business account set up, public liability insurance? Q.4 I feel like I am missing everything and totally unprepared - please can you let me know if there is anything else I have missed or whether I need these or not. Thank you so much for any help you give me. Karen

Hi karen, you can do both the level 1 or level 2 food safety certificate online for £15 with virtual college. At this price you have to print off your own certificate. It does allow you to save it as a pdf though and then you could attach that to an email and email to yourself allowing you to print it off in the library or wherever you can access a printer. There's a slightly more expensive option £25 I think, which means they post you a certificate but I don't think this is worth it. Hope this helps at least one of your points :-) x

Karen2015
30-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi Karen, welcome to the Forum! That's exciting that you are expecting your pre-reg visit soon. To deal with your concerns in order,
1. Food hygiene requirements are down to your local authority. I don't have a level 2 certificate and that was ok when I had my food inspection (recommended but not required). The main thing you need is the Safer food better business for childminders pack (can download). I think Ofsted now register you with the food hygiene people.
2. The Inspector may want to see your policies (most of those should be within your cypop5 course work). You are right, that we don't have to have policies written down, however, you are expected to be able to explain them to an inspector (and possibly in the event of an accident to your insurance company) and this is easier if they are written down. Also worth remembering that if you are registered on the childcare register, there are different requirements for written policies.
I would suggest that when the inspector phones to arrange a visit, you ask her (or him) what they want to see and whether they can look at policies on a computer.
3. Business account is not necessary. I don't have one. If you want a separate account then you can open another current account but with a business account you will have to pay fees to use it. PLL you don't need yet. If the inspector says you have to have it you can phone and arrange it during the inspection. Again, ask when she calls.
4. You don't sound like you are totally unprepared! It is lots to do and there is no ultimate list of what you must do (infuriatingly!). Only other thing is your 'are you ready for your inspection booklet'. Answer the questions in that, make sure you know your safeguarding and good luck!

Sing-low, thank you so much for this great info.
I have checked with my LA and they strongly recommend I complete the food hygiene course. After I sent my initial post, last night, I referred back to my CYPOP5 and began reading through my prepared policies. I have four already that just need printing. I also found lots of parent permission forms covering everything I could think of. I don't have a contract organised yet but will start working on that this evening.
Again, thank you for your help.
Karen

Karen2015
30-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Hi karen, you can do both the level 1 or level 2 food safety certificate online for £15 with virtual college. At this price you have to print off your own certificate. It does allow you to save it as a pdf though and then you could attach that to an email and email to yourself allowing you to print it off in the library or wherever you can access a printer. There's a slightly more expensive option £25 I think, which means they post you a certificate but I don't think this is worth it. Hope this helps at least one of your points :-) x

Thank you, mumofone - that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Superb.

I feel better already :)

Karen2015
30-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I have already thanked you both for your help - but I can't see them so I thought I'd write it again to both of you.

Mumofone and sing-low,
You gave me all I needed, thank you. My LA do require the food hygiene certificate and knowing that I'll be sent it as a PDF is a relief. I have also rediscovered my CYPOP5 policies and found lots of parent permissions online. I have downloaded the 'Safer food better business' pack and will memorise my answers to the EYFS pre-reg booklet.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your time and knowledge :clapping:

Rick
30-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Hi Karen. New members' posts go into the moderation queue and a moderator approves them, so you might not instantly see your post until we have done that :thumbsup:

mumofone
30-01-2015, 02:26 PM
I have already thanked you both for your help - but I can't see them so I thought I'd write it again to both of you. Mumofone and sing-low, You gave me all I needed, thank you. My LA do require the food hygiene certificate and knowing that I'll be sent it as a PDF is a relief. I have also rediscovered my CYPOP5 policies and found lots of parent permissions online. I have downloaded the 'Safer food better business' pack and will memorise my answers to the EYFS pre-reg booklet. Thanks again, I really appreciate your time and knowledge :clapping:

Hi karen, just to clarify when I did mine I still had to press "print" as if I was printing to my printer as normal but when the "print" page pops up just select from the drop down "save to PDF" rather than your home printer. Hope that makes sense and that I haven't confused you further! :-)

Karen2015
31-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Hi karen, just to clarify when I did mine I still had to press "print" as if I was printing to my printer as normal but when the "print" page pops up just select from the drop down "save to PDF" rather than your home printer. Hope that makes sense and that I haven't confused you further! :-)

That's great, thank you, I'm going to do it tomorrow - touch wood x

Rick
01-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Now you are up to five posts you are out of moderation and will see your posts immediately

mumofone
14-03-2015, 08:19 PM

Hi karen, have you had your pre reg visit yet? X