PDA

View Full Version : off to Ikea

loocyloo
29-01-2015, 11:19 AM
😊 I'm off to Ikea at the weekend.
I don't actually need anything ... but it's quite a drive and i haven't been for about a year so is there anything i ought to be looking at childminding wise? !!!
Thanks x

HTSMumma
29-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Chocolate orange torte in the restaurant. Totally needed for childminding... ;-)

loocyloo
29-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Chocolate orange torte in the restaurant. Totally needed for childminding... ;-)

:-) :-) :-) definitely!

watford wizz
29-01-2015, 01:17 PM
First make sure you've done a thorough risk assessment including your own trolly pushing abilities and your ability to stay within your buget. Risk assessment of vehicle will it all fit and will car move when we have rammed it full and "where am I going to sit". You may find it easier to hire a bus/lorry/ removal van. Also if taking hubby use wrist strap or reigns as "wonder off" syndrome can cause loss of valuable "look at that!" Time.
Dress appropriately for the consumer mountain climb and pack sensible bag include tissues, Kendal mint cake, cash, change of shoes, road recovery details, your credit card, your "must try this chair" bottom, his credit card , your best "must have one of these" authority voice, his other credit card and other such important bits. Then go and have a great time!!
Don't forget to do a thorough evaluation afterwards including some photos if you can. I'm sure you will be able to cover the whole EYFS and EYO during your trip. Have fun x

smurfette
29-01-2015, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE="watford wizz;1389787"]First make sure you've done a thorough risk assessment including your own trolly pushing abilities and your ability to stay within your buget. Risk assessment of vehicle will it all fit and will car move when we have rammed it full and "where am I going to sit". You may find it easier to hire a bus/lorry/ removal van. Also if taking hubby use wrist strap or reigns as "wonder off" syndrome can cause loss of valuable "look at that!" Time. Dress appropriately for the consumer mountain climb and pack sensible bag include tissues, Kendal mint cake, cash, change of shoes, road recovery details, your credit card, your "must try this chair" bottom, his credit card , your best "must have one of these" authority voice, his other credit card and other such important bits. Then go and have a great time!! Don't forget to do a thorough evaluation afterwards including some photos if you can. I'm sure you will be able to cover the whole EYFS and EYO during your trip. Have fun x[/QUOTE

Lol nice one!!!!

sing-low
29-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Haven't been myself for a while but feel a trip coming on (I need some baskets lol). So if you spot anything good, let us know!

PS don't forget to get some tealights

Tulip
29-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Lucky you. I would be buying the all in one cover up bibs that have sleeves and some flannels with loops on for hanging up, make great hand towels for children. Have a great time, let us know what you get. :)

VeggieSausage
29-01-2015, 05:59 PM
fabric food, huge tub of hama beads, rolls of paper, finger puppets, toy kitchen metal pans and utensils....there is too much to mention....

clareelizabeth1
29-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Go to the bargin basement first just encase you buy all their large items and have to spend the day taking it apart. (Large 5*5 expedit unit in blazing sun got sum burn but was worth it)

smurfette
29-01-2015, 07:56 PM
I am going myself tomorrow to buy kallax for dd2
And dd3 a room. Will pick up some more bibs love love love them.. Also someone mentioned their children's metal cutlery., plus need some more boxes for the playroom kallax... Better be careful!!

loocyloo
29-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Lol! Thanks
Actually ... reminded me I do need some more flannel hand towels and new coverall bibs!

FloraDora
29-01-2015, 11:02 PM
My favourite ikea buy is the coloured plastic photo frames -£1 each I use for self registration.

I always buy their cheap serviettes too - I always have serviettes at the table and although the quality isn't brilliant they work for childminding, saving my nicer ones for me. ( cloth for Sunday's and special occasions only) .

I always look at their fabrics for making drapes for dens or dressing up - often get it at a cheap per metre price.

Most of their toys are good value.
My youngest LO's who are looking at colours enjoy an activity of matching all the colours when setting a teddy bears picnic using the £1 plastic plates, cups, bowls and cutlery 6 of each colour - £4 is good value for such versatility too, as the plates and bowls are often used in art and craft. Not a big plastic fan but these work a treat.

Enjoy.

natlou82
30-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Ooh you naughty lot! All this thread has done is make me want to go to Ikea and spend, spend, spend lol!

smurfette
30-01-2015, 07:16 AM
My favourite ikea buy is the coloured plastic photo frames -£1 each I use for self registration. I always buy their cheap serviettes too - I always have serviettes at the table and although the quality isn't brilliant they work for childminding, saving my nicer ones for me. ( cloth for Sunday's and special occasions only) . I always look at their fabrics for making drapes for dens or dressing up - often get it at a cheap per metre price. Most of their toys are good value. My youngest LO's who are looking at colours enjoy an activity of matching all the colours when setting a teddy bears picnic using the £1 plastic plates, cups, bowls and cutlery 6 of each colour - £4 is good value for such versatility too, as the plates and bowls are often used in art and craft. Not a big plastic fan but these work a treat. Enjoy.

How do you use the frames flora dora? I

lollipop kid
30-01-2015, 08:50 AM
I like the high visibility bibs. I put my mindees in these at Playgroup so that I can scan the room at a glance and know where each of them is. It gives them lots of freedom, but equally, it allows me to spot any potential issues quickly.

I also love the children's cutlery (it's a little cutlery box sold in the toy area - so lovely!!) The pots and pans, and cooking utensils are great value, too, and look (and sound) like the real thing.

Have a great time. (Personally, I rarely go any more as I always bankrupt myself. Instead, I make a list of what I would like and send my other half for me - he's really good and only brings back what is on the list.)

L

loocyloo
30-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I like the high visibility bibs. I put my mindees in these at Playgroup so that I can scan the room at a glance and know where each of them is. It gives them lots of freedom, but equally, it allows me to spot any potential issues quickly.

I also love the children's cutlery (it's a little cutlery box sold in the toy area - so lovely!!) The pots and pans, and cooking utensils are great value, too, and look (and sound) like the real thing.

Have a great time. (Personally, I rarely go any more as I always bankrupt myself. Instead, I make a list of what I would like and send my other half for me - he's really good and only brings back what is on the list.)

L

Thanks. Reminded me that actually I could do with new hi viz! (Mine are reaching end of useful life! )
I like the cutlery too ... I think I possibly have most of ikea already at my house!

lollipop kid
30-01-2015, 10:31 AM
I love the Ikea KUSINER wall pockets. I put these in my hallway, with the child's name above/below each one hand-written on a sticker with a coloured background (highlighter pen works well) denoting that child's colour. I use this to store a small hard-backed notebook (from Tiger), that I use as their home contact book (also with the same sticker). It lives here at the setting (just in case Ofsted come unannounced and use a missing book that hasn't been brought in by an absent-minded parent to mark me down). :laughing:

I can also put any of the children's bits in here, such as winter hat, gloves, special toys (the small ones they all bring then lose!!)

Just thought I'd share.

KUSINER Wall pockets - blue - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50163264/?query=KUSINER+Wall+pockets)

L

smurfette
30-01-2015, 01:20 PM
I love the Ikea KUSINER wall pockets. I put these in my hallway, with the child's name above/below each one hand-written on a sticker with a coloured background (highlighter pen works well) denoting that child's colour. I use this to store a small hard-backed notebook (from Tiger), that I use as their home contact book (also with the same sticker). It lives here at the setting (just in case Ofsted come unannounced and use a missing book that hasn't been brought in by an absent-minded parent to mark me down). :laughing: I can also put any of the children's bits in here, such as winter hat, gloves, special toys (the small ones they all bring then lose!!) Just thought I'd share. KUSINER Wall pockets - blue - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50163264/?query=KUSINER+Wall+pockets) L

Ooh yes I have these too and love them for any left behind bits . Also use a sticker on each one with their name. So handy !

FloraDora
30-01-2015, 02:12 PM
How do you use the frames flora dora? I

I have a long thin shelf in my hall and I line them up there. On one side is just the child's name and the other is photo and name. There is also one of me, DH and Ozzy the dog. The just name side shows if they are not here and they turn it around as they arrive and back as they leave. Even the 18 month loves doing it. If DH and dog go out one of them turns theirs around.
Above I have 'Who is here today?' - we make a new sign every other week as they like touching it and seeing the colour pattern , I see this as a good opportunity for writing.

Today we have added numbers in a line , one in front of each photo, made out of buttons ( which we made earlier in the week) and stuck them up and talked and counted how many are here / not here etc... The buttons add texture and my 22 month has spent a lot of time tracing over them with her finger, taking them down and giving them to the 35 month old who tuts and puts them back up in the correct order, hadn't anticipated that they would be such fun!

FloraDora
30-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Like the idea of the pockets....can I trust myself to go for just one item though?

smurfette
30-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks like that idea flora Dora!

Well I am back and spent €165! Over a hundred was kallax and the boxes for the girls room and they bought a couple of things for themselves

The bibs were out of stock :( I did buy a wind to torch think it was €5.. The I older ones are having fun at the mo with a 'tent' ünder the dining room table so they will like this. Not sure what else I got lol!

loocyloo
31-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Lol ... I bought wind up torches too ... and hi viz and flannels and pens and a cute wolf that can eat granny! Plus a few other odds and ends!

FloraDora
31-01-2015, 06:15 PM
I love the Ikea KUSINER wall pockets. I put these in my hallway, with the child's name above/below each one hand-written on a sticker with a coloured background (highlighter pen works well) denoting that child's colour. I use this to store a small hard-backed notebook (from Tiger), that I use as their home contact book (also with the same sticker). It lives here at the setting (just in case Ofsted come unannounced and use a missing book that hasn't been brought in by an absent-minded parent to mark me down). :laughing:

I can also put any of the children's bits in here, such as winter hat, gloves, special toys (the small ones they all bring then lose!!)

Just thought I'd share.

KUSINER Wall pockets - blue - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50163264/?query=KUSINER+Wall+pockets)

L

So, liked your idea of pockets to store mitts - didn't want a trip to ikea yet so decided to make one. Used to be a competent maker of things and have an ottoman full of material in the loft...ventured up....2 hours later having cried my way through reading my oldest's school work - he's currently having a 28 year old I don't want to settle down yet year in South America....I discover I have some material printed with the hungry caterpillar illustrations, how did I forget that?
I digress....

So I have made a pocket to fit on each of the hooks on the little cloakroom stand my DH made me. Not out of the caterpillar material - that's now a cushion ..out of an old Mary Quant dress - it was already reduced to material in the late 70's when nobody knew that I could sell it online for a fortune ( Internet hadn't been invented).
Needs some reinforcing back, waiting for an Amazon book order so the card will be perfect.... Spent all afternoon on this task, producing something that would have cost me £3.50!
Thanks lollipop though, great recomendation which inspired me.

lollipop kid
31-01-2015, 06:31 PM
So, liked your idea of pockets to store mitts - didn't want a trip to ikea yet so decided to make one. Used to be a competent maker of things and have an ottoman full of material in the loft...ventured up....2 hours later having cried my way through reading my oldest's school work - he's currently having a 28 year old I don't want to settle down yet year in South America....I discover I have some material printed with the hungry caterpillar illustrations, how did I forget that?
I digress....

So I have made a pocket to fit on each of the hooks on the little cloakroom stand my DH made me. Not out of the caterpillar material - that's now a cushion ..out of an old Mary Quant dress - it was already reduced to material in the late 70's when nobody knew that I could sell it online for a fortune ( Internet hadn't been invented).
Needs some reinforcing back, waiting for an Amazon book order so the card will be perfect.... Spent all afternoon on this task, producing something that would have cost me £3.50!
Thanks lollipop though, great recomendation which inspired me.

Wow! Great job!

I've actually got a sewing machine, but the only time I tried to use it, it took me 3 hours to thread it, and 30 minutes to sew a couple of hems on a bit of fabric for a last minute halloween costume party. (The shops were closing as I left work in a flap and I failed miserably to get a costume!) I recall not being too happy with my grumpy 2 year old (she's now 13) asking every 2 seconds, "is it ready yet?". (However, I did manage to make a brilliant halloween cape for her - I still have it for magic shows, with really sparkly, holographic, silky material - it was a real git to sew! Pity I put the hems facing in different directions top and bottom!) The trusty old machine is back in my cupboard as I've been too scared to go near it since!

Good for you - maybe one day I'll brave the beast again (or possibly get my 13 year old interested in sewing? Now there's payback! :laughing:)

L