PDA

View Full Version : First aid kit

mumofone
28-01-2015, 09:29 AM
AM looking for an OFSTED approved first aid kit, can anyone recommend me a cheap one that OFSTED approve? Thank you :-)

watford wizz
28-01-2015, 10:13 AM
The bought ones often contain stuff not required I make up my own using list given at my first aid course. Printed off white cross on green background and pictures of Mr Bump for labelling plastic boxes with lids/ old ice cream containers. Never had any problems with ofsted. Have 7 in various places around house/car/garden/with neighbour/trip bag. Just need to make sure you check use by dates regularly.

bunyip
28-01-2015, 10:57 AM
I agree with WW.

Ready-made kits frequently include stuff you won't need, whilst lacking things you will need. As you're buying the contents unseen, you have no idea how long the use-by date will be on the contents, so could well be buying a kit that will need replacing before you get to use it. :mad:

Most ready-made kits are neither one thing nor the other. 'Home' kits usually don't have enough for CMs. Workplace kits are usually full of the wrong sizes (eg. I keep lots of small-size dressings (sold as eye pads) to use on lo's, but workplace kits are full of huge dressings for people who like to stick their limbs into industrial machine.) Kits sold for CMs tend to be little better, they just cost a lot more. :p

My advice is to write yourself a list of what you'll need. You should have a good idea of this if you've done paediatric first aid. Then go out and buy the bits individually, with good dates on.

I have a main kit for indoors and a smaller portable one for outdoors. Bear in mind that your 'going out' kit will need to cater for a lack of clean water at the play park, etc. so add more A-bac wipes and saline solution. :thumbsup:

mumofone
28-01-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm so lazy I think I'd rather buy one that comes ready to be honest..but appreciate totally what you're both saying. Pacey some costs £££'s but I've seen a couple of others of more £12 which say they're OFSTED approved but wonder if this "OFSTED approved" label is genuine or not - if that makes sense!!!

watford wizz
28-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Ofsted approved for who? Ofsted cover such a wide range of services. You still need to be checking and risk assessing contents x

moggy
28-01-2015, 02:00 PM
No such thing as Ofsted approved first aid kit!
Ofsted do not give requirements for first aid kits, nor do DofEd, nor even do Health and Safety Executive!

You may have been given a list of first aid kit contents at your first aid course, that would have been aimed at paediatric first aid so that is a good starting point.

There is advise here too:
First aid kit best practice (http://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk/News-and-legislation/latest-news/2011/August/First-aid-kit-best-practice.aspx)

bunyip
28-01-2015, 06:50 PM
I agree with Moggy. If you ever see "Ofsted approved" attached to anything, send a quick email to Ofsted and ask, "do you give endorsements for particular products?"

It's a new hobby of mine. I now email Ofsted every time my LA or anyone else tells me something is "an Ofsted requirement". I'm still waiting for them to come back and confirm that any of these claims are true. :p

There are far too many of these meaningless claims around. For instance, did you know that the humble pork scratching is a superfood? Honest. :)

Simona
29-01-2015, 08:53 AM
AM looking for an OFSTED approved first aid kit, can anyone recommend me a cheap one that OFSTED approve? Thank you :-)

The contents of your First Aid are those your F/A trainer will have advised you ...that was in the EYFS but cannot recall if still is

OFSTED only role is judging 'Standards in Education' and look at EYFS compliance.
Hope you find the right one...many CMs also have one in their car and maybe something they can carry attached to their buggy.

Good luck