PDA

View Full Version : Large tv?

mumofone
27-01-2015, 08:41 AM
I have a very large tv (plasma/flatscreen thing) on a tv cabinet in my playroom that I intend to use for minding bit I'm concerned it may put either parents or anyone from OFSTED off? I'm wondering whether I should remove it completely or exchange for a smaller one. I can't decide whether it would be viewed as a negative or not? Any thoughts?

Simona
27-01-2015, 09:04 AM
I have a very large tv (plasma/flatscreen thing) on a tv cabinet in my playroom that I intend to use for minding bit I'm concerned it may put either parents or anyone from OFSTED off? I'm wondering whether I should remove it completely or exchange for a smaller one. I can't decide whether it would be viewed as a negative or not? Any thoughts?

I don't think the EYFS requires you to remove tv from your setting
Ofsted will only be interested in the tv being safely out or reach of the children ...why would they be put off??? as for parents if they ask tell them how you intend to use the tv with the children and look at the safety aspect.

Ofsted's main role is to judge practice and look at outcomes and how we follow the EYFS...which is written by the DfE not Ofsted
Good luck!

bunyip
27-01-2015, 10:52 AM
1. Obtain large blanket.
2. Hold above tv set.
3. Release blanket.
4. Make insurance claim when small child pulls on large blanket and trashes large tv.

Alternative approach: don't sweat the small stuff. :thumbsup:

Are we nearly there yet.......?

JCrakers
27-01-2015, 11:48 AM
The TV is absolutely fine :D Its your home at the end of the day.

Just explain that the children watch it in small doses. My little ones don't usually watch TV as we are too busy but if they are tired and wont sleep then 20mins of Peppa Pig doesn't hurt. The older children watch TV when they come in from school because its home from home and they want to relax after a hard day at school.
As long as parents are happy :thumbsup:

clareelizabeth1
27-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I heard that one childminder had a family go with someone else because she didn't have a TV in the playroom and they didn't think their children would cope. As with everything you do it would appeal to some and not to others. Personally I like not having a TV in the playroom as the children never think to ask for it so I don't have to listen to theme tunes that don't leave my head for weeks on end.

loocyloo
27-01-2015, 01:48 PM
I heard that one childminder had a family go with someone else because she didn't have a TV in the playroom and they didn't think their children would cope. As with everything you do it would appeal to some and not to others. Personally I like not having a TV in the playroom as the children never think to ask for it so I don't have to listen to theme tunes that don't leave my head for weeks on end.

I don't have one in my playroom and we barely watch any. Same group of children used to use my conservatory & sitting room as playroom and used to always ask to have tv on!

alex__17
27-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I don't have a separate playroom so have a large sitting room with large tv...a lot of days they are so busy in their games of babies/vets/Father Christmas or whatever they're playing they don't think to ask for it, others like today one was tired and asked almost immediately!
I often let them watch it for 10-15 minutes if they tidy up before tea, as it means they tidy quick, calm down before tea, and gives me chance to get dinner warmed and onto plates knowing they're all in one place and not running under my feet!

I don't care whether ofsted think that's ok, it doesn't hurt, and by the amount they talk about tv their parents obviously have it on constantly at home lol

Leave the tv as it is, it's your home, it may come in handy, as long as it's not on when new parents visit most won't think too much of it I'm sure

Simona
28-01-2015, 08:58 AM
The TV is absolutely fine :D Its your home at the end of the day.

Just explain that the children watch it in small doses. My little ones don't usually watch TV as we are too busy but if they are tired and wont sleep then 20mins of Peppa Pig doesn't hurt. The older children watch TV when they come in from school because its home from home and they want to relax after a hard day at school.
As long as parents are happy :thumbsup:

Totally agree with you...the question is the safety of the TV ...not whether the children watch or not according to our individual policy on tv watching.
Also the fact that an inspector has no need to raise the presence of a tv in our own home as long as it is safe. that is all that matters!

alex__17
28-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Very true point, inspector didn't even mention tv so certainly didn't have to justify if I'd use it or not, she just checked the cables were tidy and out of reach behind it which was in my risk assessment

k1rstie
28-01-2015, 11:15 AM
You could cover it while working! Using Bunyips blanket idea. You could make the blanket more into a fitted sheet shape, buy putting a hem and elastic round the outside, and then it would just pop over the front.

But I think in these modern times, when the first movement a baby can do is swipe their finger across a phone or tablet, a TV is the least of anyone's habits.

Soon will come the day when kids point at the TV, and say, 'look, its what people used to use to watch big brother in the olden days!' Similar to a 'typewriter is an old fashioned computer' !!!!

bunyip
28-01-2015, 06:43 PM
You could cover it while working! Using Bunyips blanket idea. You could make the blanket more into a fitted sheet shape, buy putting a hem and elastic round the outside, and then it would just pop over the front.

But I think in these modern times, when the first movement a baby can do is swipe their finger across a phone or tablet, a TV is the least of anyone's habits.

Soon will come the day when kids point at the TV, and say, 'look, its what people used to use to watch big brother in the olden days!' Similar to a 'typewriter is an old fashioned computer' !!!!

Of course what is absolutely gilt is that Ofsted, DofE and the rest of the regime all hold the self-contradictory view of "TV = bad; computer = good".

All this despite the fact that there is no sound independent evidence that indicates any difference between TV and computer "screen time" in terms of beneficial/harmful effects on children (and a good deal of independent evidence to the contrary.)

Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with the cosy relationship between all the major political parties and the ICT industry now, has it? :rolleyes:

Maza
29-01-2015, 05:31 PM
I have a big TV on my living room wall, which is also where the children usually play as I don't have a playroom. Two parents have commented on it during the interview stage. One set of parents I decided not to take on due to a variety of things (they wanted me, despite the TV) and the other family is still with me five years later. Ofsted didn't question it. I am always open with the parents and say that the children do watch TV at my setting but they will soon see that we don't sit and watch TV all day because of the muddy wellies that come home after trips to the woods, all the art and craft that comes home and tales of adventures at playgroup etc. I always monitor what they watch and often try to link it in with what we are learning about. There's nothing wrong with a little down time during a ten hour day! I used to deliberately have Peppa Pig on when one little boy arrived as it helped him settle. His Dad loved it as he said it was like home from home for him.

There's no point replacing it with a smaller TV - a TV is a TV! Although it was the size of the tv that made the parents ask about mine in the first place - I think they thought that with one that size it must be an important part of our lives! It is an important part of my hubby's life - for sport, which he obviously doesn't watch during the day as he is at work.