PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice - slapped cheek

26-01-2015, 08:15 AM
After some quick advice please - do you exclude for slapped cheek and for how long???

Mouse
26-01-2015, 08:42 AM
As far as I know there is no need for exclusion once the rash has appeared. You do need to be mindful of the risk to any pregnant woman or anyone with reduced immunity that you may come into contact with (so probably avoid toddler groups).

As with most things like this, where there is no exclusion recommended, I tend to go by how well the child is. If they are happy in themselves I let them come, but if they are at all unwell I say they need to stay at home.

lisbet
26-01-2015, 09:40 AM
This is from memory, from the time there was a case here: The child is contagious before the rash appears, rather than after, so no need for exclusion. Pregnant women who may have been in contact should ask their GP to check whether they are immune. If not they may need extra monitoring during pregnancy. The virus is excreted for several weeks after so take extra care with toileting hygiene.

Here's the link to gov advice:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/infection-control-in-schools-poster

TinyTinker
26-01-2015, 02:33 PM
I would advise all parents of it - in case one is early stage pregnant and hasn't yet told you (you never know). :)

lisbet
26-01-2015, 02:44 PM
I would advise all parents of it - in case one is early stage pregnant and hasn't yet told you (you never know). :)

Good point! I always send all parents a "please be advised that there is a case of xyz infectious illness" email.