PDA

View Full Version : Earnings etc. with an assistant.

joannes
25-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone. Bit of a random question and one I'm guessing will be hard to answer with any accuracy. I am currently going down the route of employing an assistant, mainly as there is very little in the way of childcare where I am and being an ex-teacher I am first on quite a lot of people's list (thankfully!) But it's meant I've had to turn down quite a few parents and 3 other schools for school runs in particular. I am very much looking forward to having another pair of hands and eyes and a bit of adult company, especially in the "crazy hour" (as husband and I call it- preparing and serving dinner etc). and at hometimes where as you know the children often get a bit boisterous when they think your attention is with a parent. Alongside this I'm looking at moving house in the next 18-24 months, still very local but upsizing to a "forever home". Husband and I have been trying to look at my earning potential for the next year or two and I was wondering how much of a difference people feel having an assistant makes financially after holiday pay etc has been taken off. Obviously it would have to be percentage wise as I appreciate fees etc are different over the country. I also thought that having them for shorter hours but more often is more profitable as it reduces the number of breaks needed etc. and I'm usually only over my numbers once we've collected from school. Would be interested to hear people's opinions on this. Earning money isn't my main reason for having an assistant but it would allow my business to grow and I appreciate not everyone would want the maximum number of children for themselves and their assistants but it would be nice to hear some case studies really of when it's worked.

loocyloo
26-01-2015, 02:46 PM
hmmmm ... not sure what or how to answer to be honest!

I had an assistant for a couple of hours after school once or twice a week for a year or so. we would go to school together and collect all the children. she would bring some home, whilst I did the to/fro/late collection etc of clubs! I only had an assistant as all my schoolies all seemed to need the same days after school one year, plus that was the night they nearly all did a school club ( my usual rule is '' if one does a club - they all do a club '' to help with pick ups! but school had changed some clubs around and everything was a mess! )

financially I wasn't that much better off, as I still paid an assistant! ( plus we had 2 children each that were within our ratios! ) and I really only had her to help out with a tricky time! I enjoyed the adult company, and the children enjoyed having another adult around!

and although it was nice to have the company, I couldn't have/wouldn't have a fulltime ( or more than a few odd hours ) assistant as I wouldn't/couldn't relinquish control of my children and paperwork! ( if I'm doing it, then I know what everyone is up to, and that its being done how I want it done! )

good luck x