PDA

View Full Version : Furniture corner safety guards

mumofone
23-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Do you guys use these for sharp corners on furniture?

watford wizz
23-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Yes on furniture that is in high risk area ie coffee table in lounge but not on every corner.

watford wizz
23-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I stick them on with blue tack and cover with a wipe able cloth so all can be easily removed for grown up time.

mumofone
23-01-2015, 11:24 AM
I stick them on with blue tack and cover with a wipe able cloth so all can be easily removed for grown up time.

How do you mean you cover with a wipe able cloth?
Yes I did wonder they come with sticky tape stuff but surely that marks your furniture?

hectors house
23-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Used to have these on corners of TV cabinet and corners of dining room table for one mindee who was very accident prone (just stuck on with blue tac so I could take off at weekends), but now this child has left I don't bother and haven't (touch wood) had any incidents. I have 2 coffee tables in lounge, one has rounded corners and the other is covered by a foam cloth and a throw so children can drive cars etc on it but not scratch it - so corners are covered anyway.

bunyip
23-01-2015, 06:37 PM
I don't.

Not a big fan of Nietzsche, but he did get it right with "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker" (translates as "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.")

alex__17
23-01-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't, never got around to doing it for my son, if he runs too fast and crashes he'll hurt himself and learns... children are warned and generally listen, only 'accident' we've had was when my son and clumsiest accident prone mindee collided head on the other day leaving her with a massive bruise in the middle of her forehead!!! Couldn't safety proof my son's head unfortunately!

Maza
23-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I do because I have a couple of pieces of furniture with really 'nasty' corners and edges. A friend's baby got a really bad bump from one of my corners before I put them on.

alex__17
23-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Thinking about it I don't have anything that has vwry sharp corners, they'd get a nasty bump as they would with colliding with the edge of a table so that's probably why I never got around to it...

k1rstie
23-01-2015, 08:53 PM
I keep mine in the carrier bag with the drawer locks which I keep to show mrs O when she comes.

mumofone
23-01-2015, 09:24 PM
I keep mine in the carrier bag with the drawer locks which I keep to show mrs O when she comes.

Haha..what's your reason for this kristie?

Daisy1956
23-01-2015, 10:23 PM
I used to do the same as Hectors House until Grandson decided he liked to take them off and try and eat the blue tack

k1rstie
23-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Haha..what's your reason for this kristie?

I do keep my spare plug socket covers in there too!! I know the modern thought is going was from the socket covers, I still use mine as my sockets in the hall are about 12 inches from the floor, and the kids do at times like to flick the switches!

Plus I did electrocute myself as a crawler, by sticking three sets of keys in the holes. I am not sure how my mother felt but her neighbours were not too happy, cos they were their keys, as we were at a coffee morning!!!! One set belonged to the local doctor I was told.

bunyip
24-01-2015, 01:29 PM
:eek: Why are people still using socket covers? I'm amazed they've not been banned yet.

UK sockets are the safest in the world. There is no British Standard for socket covers because the only thing designed to go into a socket is a plug. Because there's no standard for socket covers they can, and frequently are the wrong size for the socket holes, meaning they damage the sockets; make the live connection open and accessible (sometimes permanently so); and have been known to short out the current and start a fire.

Anyone using socket covers is almost certainly damaging their sockets and making them less safe. Some of the designs can be removed and replaced upside down by a toddler, thus opening the internal safety cover from the live connection. Some are far worse.

Here's how I found out. We had the house rewired a couple of years ago. The electrician gave me quite a ticking off and told me throw away the 'safety' covers or he would because they are potentially lethal. Having seen that I'd previously used covers, he insisted on installing all new sockets throughout the entire house or otherwise he would not sign off the safety certificate, and he didn't want me shoving "those things" in them to make them dangerous. What really shocked me (pardon the pun) was the demonstration he gave me using a socket cover I'd bought from a well-known Swedish company (the blue and yellow one with the really big shops and the yummy meatballs). With this 'safety' device in place, normally, and the socket isolated first, the sparky poked a small piece of insulated wire deep into the 'live' hole. the same could be done by a child with a pin, a badge, or a paper clip. He didn't need to point out that, had it been for real, it could mean a dead child. :panic:

gemma659353
24-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I had my per reg in Thursday and I was told corner cushions were a waste of time - the inspectors own words!!

k1rstie
24-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Okay bunyip. I only use two in the whole house. I will take them out as per your suggestion and also ROSPA's.

Thank you for your advise.

mumofone
24-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I had my per reg in Thursday and I was told corner cushions were a waste of time - the inspectors own words!!

Thanks gemma :-) Did she give reasons?

gemma659353
24-01-2015, 09:01 PM
No I said I'd got them but keep falling off and that was her reply.

Same with things like dog food and water being on display, gravel in the garden and lots of different levels in the garden.

I just said children need to take risk and learn boundaries, if there was a specific child where there was an issue then I would review my procedures

mumofone
25-01-2015, 09:01 PM
No I said I'd got them but keep falling off and that was her reply. Same with things like dog food and water being on display, gravel in the garden and lots of different levels in the garden. I just said children need to take risk and learn boundaries, if there was a specific child where there was an issue then I would review my procedures

This is how I feel too but sounds like if they want to be the inspectors can be incredibly picky!

TinyTinker
26-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I have an upholstered coffee table come foot rest that came with our sofa - it's big and low level and the kids love playing with toys up it and babies can learn to stand and walk around it - it has a padded top and sides but the corners if hit hard enough still hurt! A lo once went over the front of a rocking horse and forehead planted straight into the corner - made an awful dent looking bruise in his head! this wasn't while I was minding, and the said rocking horse got his marching orders! so even 'protected' corners are still nasty if hit hard enough:(

bunyip
26-01-2015, 06:54 PM
I have a client mum who tells me she got fed up of the corner guards falling off, so she secured them with blu-tac. She then found her older child was taking the corner guards off to play with on his football game (:confused: no, I don't know either, but it's not important.)

Fortunately, she found that the blob of blu-tac was just as effective as the corner guards..............something I can only surmise she wishes she'd known before she spent good money on corner guards. :p)

mumofone
26-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'm decided I won't be using them!