PDA

View Full Version : Updating sickness policy help pweese

candy cat
21-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi lovelies, currently have cabin fever due to dd off school ill :0( so catching up on paperwork....whilst baby asleep......very cross as found this info out this week that parents knowingly sent sick child to me.....child currently is on holiday so at least can 'think' before saying something.....( if I do)

Last week child had fever sun night.....sent to nursery monday, they told parent he was ill.....but he didn't collect early...( there policy is not strict) ....they then sent him to me Tuesday.....i even questioned if he was ok.... He said fine blah blah .........he was poorly, but no temp so didn't send home early ( yes i know) he then sent to nursery weds and back to me thurs (although better by then) .......i did tell Dad he should not have been here on Tues ......i also got note from mum saying gp saw him and says he is fine ( dad told nursery only spoke to gp on phone)

And yes It should be confidential, although I do have ' sharing info' signed ;0) so how I found out doesn't matter,

I felt my sickness policy was hot, but tweaked it slightly.......this is where i need you.......if my children are ill i inform parents and their choice to send or not.....this week one came other hasn't ,,
( Not for D&V Flu etcjust temp, colds etc) ..Now this contradicts everything I preach on about.....so what do you all do? My daughter is in a separate room away from mindees, but still infectious.....do any just close for any sickness? Thanks

sing-low
21-01-2015, 05:28 PM
I don't think your policy is contradictory. I do the same - my aim is to provide a reliable service for parents. So if I can open, then I will. Excluding LOs who are poorly is more about them being able to manage a day that may include outings and a school run.

CookieCutter
21-01-2015, 06:37 PM
I was trying to explain this to a parent a few weeks ago, but struggled to say it without sounding contradictory. The way I explained it is that if their child is ill, the child needs to stay at home as I'm not a good replacement for mummy or daddy to a sick lo. However, if my daughter is ill (mildly ill, not d&v or temp, but just not well enough to go out and needing loads of cuddles), I will phone parents and explain that my lo isn't well and we won't be doing much apart from cuddling on the sofa and watching films. They can choose to send lo if they're happy that it'll just be free play/tele all day, but if they choose not to send lo, I won't charge.

AliceK
21-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Excluding D&V, if one of my children are poorly and have to be kept off school I will inform parents when they drop off and if they felt the need to stay away then fine but I would rather stay open and not let parents down. No-one has stayed away yet. Children are always getting this and that and if they don't catch it from one of mine being poorly they will catch it somewhere else if it is doing the rounds.
A couple of weeks ago I had a LO who came and didn't look well but seemed okay, until he woke up after his nap when he was very flushed and had a slight fever, he looked awful. Luckily he was due to go home about 45mins later. He wasn't due to come again for 3 days. A couple of days later my DD got the same thing, fever, lethargic, achey all over, she was really poorly and had to have 2 school days and a weekend to get over it. I have no doubt the mindee bought it here but what can I do. The chances are she would have caught it from school anyway. All I do if I know anyone is possibly under the weather / coming down with something is go a bit mad with the antibac spray and hand gel. Parents wouldn't expect us to close every time one of our own children was poorly. I always say as long as a mindee can participate in the day - school / nursery runs etc then they can come. (D&V excluded)

xx

candy cat
21-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks I just kept reading it back to myself, but you are are right as long as I carry on being 'honest' and give parents a choice then it is fine and like you say this is our home :0)