PDA

View Full Version : Bit sad

KatieFS
21-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Didn't realise - one of my lo birthday today. I thought it was Friday as he is having party.
Mum didn't say anything this morning, just very quick hand over. He is here as normal today, till 5. I feel a bit sad for him. I didn't organise anything specific as didn't realise!
Got some lovely biscuits for later as a treat / why didn't she say something this morning?!?
But then he seems to think his birthday is Monday! Ha ha

Mouse
21-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Oh dear...it's easily done!

I've done that before, even though we have the birthdays on a display on the message board! I'd got it into my head that it was lo's birthday on the Wednesday, but it was actually on the Tuesday. Luckily I had everything ready for the Wed, so just had to bring it forward a day! Now the children are all old enough to know when it's their birthday so there's no chance of forgetting as they talk about nothing else for weeks before!

What I do on birthdays is get the child to colour in a picture saying "It's my birthday. I'm X years old". I then take a photo of them wearing our birthday hat and sticking it on the picture :thumbsup:

KatieFS
21-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Yes, I'll pull something out of the bag!

I just think it's a bit sad (-and weird) he is here the whole day and mum didn't say anything this morning. I know people have to work but wouldn't you take a day off for it? Odd

Maza
21-01-2015, 01:45 PM
I did it too a couple of weeks ago. Normally I put some balloons on our front door but obviously I didn't. Mum handed me some birthday cake at the door for all the mindees. We stuck some candles in it and sang to him and made a fuss etc. He was too young to realise about the balloons but I was disappointed in myself, not just for the mindee but I think it helps mums/dads if they can't be with their little one on their special day to know that someone is making a fuss of them. I always have some little presents on stand by and can throw together a special tea but I know they all particularly like the balloons. It's also nice to greet them with 'Happy Birthday' as you open the door. I'm sure your mindee will love the biscuits and mum will really appreciate it too, don't worry. x

Fitrix
21-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Maybe she just didn't want to presume? If you flag up a birthday it's often because you want the person you're telling to acknowledge said birthday - with card/present etc. she possibly didn't want to pressure you into getting LO something?
I get hacked off with parents "reminding" me over and over that it's their child's birthday coming up. One mum even asked if I was doing a party for her son. I have enough children of my own to do parties for and he wasn't even going to be with me on the day of his birthday!! The cheek!

Mouse
21-01-2015, 03:04 PM

I just think it's a bit sad (-and weird) he is here the whole day and mum didn't say anything this morning. I know people have to work but wouldn't you take a day off for it? Odd

I think the strangest experience I had was when it was a mindee's 2nd birthday. Mum was telling me how she had the day off work & they were going to a theme park for the day. I said "oh, so X won't be here on his birthday?" Mum said "yes he will. He's too young to go so we'll leave him here as usual and go without him!" :eeeek:

FussyElmo
21-01-2015, 05:12 PM
I think the strangest experience I had was when it was a mindee's 2nd birthday. Mum was telling me how she had the day off work & they were going to a theme park for the day. I said "oh, so X won't be here on his birthday?" Mum said "yes he will. He's too young to go so we'll leave him here as usual and go without him!" :eeeek:

Om my goodness :eek::eek::eek:

alex__17
21-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Oh no! Poor 2 year old

hectors house
21-01-2015, 06:20 PM
I had a lo here for his 2nd birthday just before Xmas, I must admit that I didn't arrange any trips out to softplay like I have done for some children as I knew that even though the mum was at work that the dad (a teacher) was at home all day with the older child - surely he could have given his son a nice day out.

I asked the mum to bring a birthday cake and instead she brought a plain iced Xmas cake as it was cheap - I used some dinosaur wrapping paper to make a frill round it and I put a toy digger and some candles on the top and that improved the look of it but it tasted terrible. We just had a party lunch and played some party games and all children took home a balloon.

I nearly messed up as I was convinced his birthday was the following day, luckily it was just something the mum said the week before that made me check my diary.

clareelizabeth1
21-01-2015, 06:26 PM
I always say a month before a child's birthday. Remember I don't charge if you take a dot off to celebrate it. But that's because I come from a broken family and have strong feelings on parents spending day with their kids on their birthday. So far it has worked and I have only ever had one child here on her birthday and that was a child that had never been before but friends had told her how wonderful it was and she wanted her party here. She loved it.

natlou82
21-01-2015, 06:36 PM
I also don't charge on childs birthday as I don't want parents sending their children just because they've paid if they are able to spend the day with them. If parents are unable to get time off I will happily provide a small party - I think children should be made to feel special on their birthday wherever they spend the day :-)

FloraDora
21-01-2015, 07:27 PM

As a fairly ancient person I have discussed this issue a number of times recently. The new philosophy seems to be that everyone has a day off on their birthday and their children's....
I have worked every birthday since 14, well, perhaps not every one, if it landed at the weekend. I have never taken a day off for a child's birthday - I couldn't, if you work in education, unless birthdays fall in holidays it's hard luck no time ever can be booked off.

Birthdays in our family are always very early breakfast in bed with pressies....normal days.....special tea's , after school parties....weekend family do's when everyone can get there because they work in the week!

I don't get that birthdays have become having days off - I may offend and I don't know your circumstance for forgetting but I think as a parent I might assume you know it's the child's birthday.
if he is very young perhaps they are having a do later and have sort of moved the birthday?? I wouldn't but I know lots that do.

alex__17
21-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I like having my own birthday off but worked my sons as he would prefer to be with his friends than just me!
And my husband wasnt allowed the day off work :-(
I guess once he's at school he wont get day off anyway although if I wasnt a childminder I'm pretty sure I'd have taken the day off to be with him but my job allowed for it

alex__17
21-01-2015, 07:47 PM
I always do a cake for mindees here even if just fairy cakes with candles they love it just having happy birthday sung to them, and they get to pick dinner

Maza
21-01-2015, 08:54 PM
It's not always easy to take a day off just because it's your child's birthday. In my old job/life I remember comforting two colleagues who were crying because they felt so bad a not being with their little one on their birthday. Their childminder/nursery staff were probably not aware that the mum had actually cried. Remember, the same parents are expected to take time off each time the child is sick and that can really mount up. My birthday is near Easter and so sometimes it was during the holidays and I hated that - I liked being made a fuss of at school and at home! Double whammy!

loocyloo
21-01-2015, 10:56 PM
If a child is due to be with me on their birthday then a couple of weeks before I check with parents if child WILL be coming. Generally I find mine do come. For littlies I think of something they will enjoy doing, age 3 and up get to choose (latest craze has been to feed the ducks by bus!) And birthday child chooses meals they are here to have and a birthday cake with candles. Children who haven't been with me on their birthday have iced buns and happy birthday sang the first day after their birthday.
Some parents send in all sorts of party food and treats, others nothing but I try to make the birthday day special.
I haven't ever forgotten a birthday on a day the child comes, but I have forgotten if is a different day! Luckily their date of birth is on my signing in sheet so it usually reminds me! But I know I will one day.

We don't usually take days off for family birthdays ... I'd be lonely on mine ... who else would come to the zoo with me, make a big sandcastle on the beach or dress up as a princess at a castle? ( that's been my last 3 birthdays with mindees! :-D )

k1rstie
22-01-2015, 07:14 AM
When they are little, a birthday is just a day. I suspect many young children are told their birthday is at the weekend rather than on a Wednesday for example. Sometimes its just easier.
I always hold my kids party's at the weekend, and their weekday birthday is just another day, they still have to go to school! But obviously they have cards, presents and a chocolate mini roll for tea!

For my mindees, when it's their birthday we have a plate with chocolate mini rolls, and a china cupcake that holds a candle. Even the 8 year olds love this. They all love to take turns singing to each other and blowing out the candle!

AliceK
22-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I always take my own birthday off and always take my kids birthdays off as well. Although they are now at school it allows me more time in the morning with them and after school I can concentrate on making a fuss of them or we can go out for an early birthday tea or something. I don't want mindees here taking my time away from my own birthday child. I feel that my own kids have to sacrifice a lot when I am working so on their special day they shouldn't have to. I could offer to open 09.00 - 14.30 but those hours wouldn't suit most of my parents so I just take the whole day.

Most mindees come to me on their birthday and I will happily make a fuss with balloons, party tea etc.

xxxx

Maza
22-01-2015, 05:21 PM
This thread is so sweet. Although we have different opinions on whether to take the day off for our own/children's birthday we all make it such a special day for the mindees! Well done everyone, you're all lovely people. x

kellib
22-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm lucky that my son's birthday (and my own!) are in school holidays so I don't have to worry about taking the day off. I would though if I had to, I've always been against working on birthdays :)

I've only ever had one mindee here on their birthday, it felt strange to me as it's not something i would do with my child but hey ho. We made a big fuss of birthday child, made cookies and put candles in them etc.

LilMisConfused
23-01-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm just starting out and one of the first days I have a little one it's her 1st birthday and both her parents have to work - how can I make a fuss of her without making her parents feel sad to have to be working?

natlou82
23-01-2015, 12:54 PM
I've done salt dough hand and feet moulds for parents to mark a first birthday and they loved the sentiment x

natlou82
23-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Or you could do hands/feet in paint on a poem and laminate x

Maza
23-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Not all parents will feel sad at working on their child's first birthday. It obviously doesn't mean that they don't adore and dote on their child. My brother and his partner didn't think twice about sending my niece to nursery on her first birthday, but she is still the centre of their universe. They just don't see birthdays that way and she was none the wiser. They celebrated it at the weekend when other family members could also attend.

My husband arranged for us to visit friends of ours the night before my DD's first birthday, and the distance meant that we had to spend the night over at their place. So we woke up on the morning of her birthday away from home (in a home that wasn't child friendly) and we hadn't taken any presents with us. He dragged out the morning there and to be honest I'm still peeved at that. I know I agreed to it but felt I had no option. He just didn't get what I was cross at and my DD was obviously oblivious, but it was my anniversary of being a mum and I was actually quite emotional because it took us a long time to get pregnant. He's never dared suggest anything like it again! We both booked her second birthday off work. I worked on her third birthday because my only mindee on that day was her best friend and we all went out for a pizza lunch. I booked her fourth birthday off because the mindees I had on that day were needy and would have taken my attention away from her.

The footprint/handprint is a gorgeous idea! x

VeggieSausage
23-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Also I don't like doing birthday party type things with children that are 1 or 2 before parents do if that makes sense, I don't want to steal their thunder...so you could say to mum on MOnday that you saved doing birthday things until today so you didn't spoil their weekend celebrations by already doing candles etc....

KatieFS
27-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Yes it was odd and bit something I would do for my own children but that's how it is with some parents. I guess to then the day isn't that special if they are doing a party or something else another day
I remember being small and remembering birthdays where nothing special happened. So that's why I always make a fuss of the day for mine

We're all different aren't we