PDA

View Full Version : -5 and in Shorts

Tealady
20-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Below freezing here so everybody wrapped up warm for school run. However this morning a mum was bringing in her three boys. They had hats, scarves, gloves, thick coats but were in school shorts and not very long socks.

I know it used to be traditional for younger boys to be in school shorts all year round and some private schools still have this but this is an ordainary primary school and boys are allowed trousers.

Just seemed a bit odd to have them so well wrapped up but with bare legs. The younger one was really moaning about the cold too. Who can blame him.

shortstuff
20-01-2015, 12:07 PM
There is a mum who dresses her 3 in shorts at DS's school. Her reasoning? She replaces them far less often as they dont grow out of them :panic:

AgentTink
20-01-2015, 12:08 PM
My little girls school make the boys in reception, year 1 and year 2 wear shorts all year. We are a normal local school. I personally don't agree with it but since I haven't got a little boy I can't really complain. But I agree with you what is the point of wrapping them up, yet their poor little legs must be freezing.

Maza
20-01-2015, 12:12 PM
I would mention to mum that he was complaining of cold legs. I had this when I was a teacher and the uniform allowed long trousers. At my daughter's school a couple of the girls also have short socks on with their skirts and they are allowed tights. Also mention to mum that her little one was complaining on the school run - which is presumably shorter than his lunch time playtime! If they fall over in this weather on bare skin it hurts twice as much too, poor things. x

loocyloo
20-01-2015, 12:25 PM
My son used to wear shorts all year round until he was 10. His choice! I used to insist on long socks and when cold he would wear track pants over the top and take them off at school.

Dragonfly
20-01-2015, 01:30 PM
The families choice so why interfere?.Quite a few schools have boys wearing shorts all year long.

Tealady
20-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Not my mindees so I'm not going to say anything especially as I have never spoken to Mum.

I just found it really odd to wrap them up so warm from the bum up but leave their legs bare. Especially when it was so freezing cold.

k1rstie
20-01-2015, 02:13 PM
I had this when I was a teacher and the uniform allowed long trousers. At my daughter's school a couple of the girls also have short socks on with their skirts and they are allowed tights. x

at my DD15 school, the girls uniform is trousers ( which very few wear) or skirts - they must be no less than a credit card width from the knee - yeah right!!! The girls I see wear very short skirts.

One of her friends always wears bare feet with her little ballet shoes or ankle socks. She says her family cannot afford tights for school! She also spent a term wearing shoes falling to bits because she said her mum could not afford new ones.

I often forget that there is poverty everywhere we live. My neighbour two houses down had her boiler condemned in July, and has not been able to afford to replace it. (And probably never will to be honest) She has a few small heaters lent to her by her friends

Maza
20-01-2015, 03:02 PM
at my DD15 school, the girls uniform is trousers ( which very few wear) or skirts - they must be no less than a credit card width from the knee - yeah right!!! The girls I see wear very short skirts.

One of her friends always wears bare feet with her little ballet shoes or ankle socks. She says her family cannot afford tights for school! She also spent a term wearing shoes falling to bits because she said her mum could not afford new ones.

I often forget that there is poverty everywhere we live. My neighbour two houses down had her boiler condemned in July, and has not been able to afford to replace it. (And probably never will to be honest) She has a few small heaters lent to her by her friends

I hope I didn't come across as judgemental! I certainly didn't mean to be. I'm usually the one reminding people about poverty issues so I'm disappointed in myself if my post sounded judgemental. I also remember going to school in the snow wearing socks and a skirt and it was my choice, but one of the boys in the op was moaning about the cold and so in that case I would have considered saying something to the mum. As I read on I realised that it wasn't mindees with a minder anyway. The boys and girls I referred to in my post lived in huge houses and either were, or are now at private school - which is why I initially didn't think of it as a money issue. x

Mouse
20-01-2015, 04:23 PM
My friend's son always wore shorts for school until he got to senior school, where they weren't allowed. It was his choice & he refused to wear trousers. His mum used to plead with him to put trousers on because there was always some busy body telling her she was a bad mum for letting her son get cold in winter!

When I was at school our uniform was skirt & socks. We weren't allowed trousers or tights. I have to be honest, I can't ever remember being cold, although I do remember trudging to school through the snow.

clareelizabeth1
20-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Even now my legs don't feel the cold and i wear skirts with thin tights or even 3/4 lengths (would do shorts but they don't suit me) in all weather as I just done get cold legs. Rest of me though needs wrapping up.

samb
20-01-2015, 11:38 PM
My ds lives in shorts as he has issues with the textures of materials and with being too hot and sweaty. Luckily he wears school trousers though. However I find it really embarrassing as his parent to walk along with him in town freezing with him in shorts, coat and hat. I'm sure people must be wondering why. It doesn't sound like the case with this family though. Does mum mention why or could you ask?

Ripeberry
21-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Toughens them up! And anyway, trousers get damaged on the knees. Shorts last a long time :D