PDA

View Full Version : Early Years only

redtiger21
19-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone out there has made a decision in the past to stop taking after-schoolers and only be a "pre school/EY" setting? If so, how well (or badly) received was it by families who would have to find alternative care, or who knew they would have to in the next few months when LOs were due to start reception? Also, what reason did you give them when they asked why?
I'm considering doing this, but I'm concerned I'll come out of it looking pretty bad, and will be discredited for it in my small town (although I do understand that's a risk I take). Thanks x

ajc
19-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I did this a couple of years ago and feel so much better. The school run was a stressful busy road walk and I didnt enjoy having such a wide age range. My two after school is a at the time found alternative care easily and were very understanding that after so many years of walking to school I needed a break. Lots of my eyfs children go to different schools and it seems that they leave naturally, I explain that I only take until school and emphasise the benefits of not having to do the dreaded run in all weathers, I would say go for it!

19-01-2015, 08:46 AM
I have been thinking about this too for quite a while now but haven't plucked up the courage to actually do it. Plus I don't like the fact that in the school HOLS I end up with extra kids all day which is (a) harder work (b) means we can't always get out in the car

AliceK
19-01-2015, 09:34 AM
I don't take on schoolies but the children who have been with me since little who move up to school and get into my local school which my own children attend I will keep if their parents wish. I have had some who haven't got into the local school so as this is the only school I will cover they have to make alternative arrangements. I have never taken on new schoolies, only ones who have grown up already with me. I figure that as I have to go to school anyway to take and collect my own children then I can take and collect others too.

xx

Mouse
19-01-2015, 09:50 AM
I only have EYs children and have done for a few years now. I have never take on new school children, so the only ones I have ever had are ones who have been with me since they were babies.

I make it clear from the beginning that I only take children up until school age and it's never stopped me getting work. Parents just accept that their children will leave when they go to school, so at the same time as they're sorting out school they sort out new childcare. For the first term I will do holiday care for them as parents have often forgotten that they need to arrange cover for hols as well as for after school, but after that I don't have them. As I run an EYs setting I find they soon outgrow us once they've been at school for a while.

I know it will be different for you if you have to give notice to current children, but I would be honest. Just say you have decided to concentrate on looking after EYs children and will unfortunately no longer be looking after school aged children.

QualityCare
19-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Best thing l ever did, no rushing in and out, no stress about being on time, no argumentative l'm bored children and hassle free school holidays.

redtiger21
19-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I only have EYs children and have done for a few years now. I have never take on new school children, so the only ones I have ever had are ones who have been with me since they were babies.

I make it clear from the beginning that I only take children up until school age and it's never stopped me getting work. Parents just accept that their children will leave when they go to school, so at the same time as they're sorting out school they sort out new childcare. For the first term I will do holiday care for them as parents have often forgotten that they need to arrange cover for hols as well as for after school, but after that I don't have them. As I run an EYs setting I find they soon outgrow us once they've been at school for a while.

I know it will be different for you if you have to give notice to current children, but I would be honest. Just say you have decided to concentrate on looking after EYs children and will unfortunately no longer be looking after school aged children.

Mouse, that's a great idea about offering holiday cover for the first term- do you mean the Autumn term up until Xmas, or the summer hols before the reception year starts? If that's not a dumb question!

moggy
19-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I only have EY children and of the 10 I have minded so far none have still been with me at the age they start school- all have either moved house, left due to maternity leave or had to go to different CMer because school too far away for me. So it has worked out fine.

Mouse
19-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Mouse, that's a great idea about offering holiday cover for the first term- do you mean the Autumn term up until Xmas, or the summer hols before the reception year starts? If that's not a dumb question!

I keep the children until they start reception, so usually about the second week in September. I'll then do holiday cover for the October half term and the first couple of days of the Christmas holidays, although I am shut for most of Christmas & New Year anyway.

What I found was that parents made arrangements for before & after school care (usually changing their work hours, getting family to help or using the breakfast/afterschool club), then it would get to the October half term & they'd realise they had nowhere for the child to go! By the New Year they generally had it sussed and would arrange holiday care!

smurfette
19-01-2015, 01:20 PM
I only take pre schoolers and in fact lose
Mine mostly when they go to nursery at 3.. There is a free Pre school year here for the year before they start school. My own children need a school pick up at 2 which means I have to leave at 145, and preschool finishes at 12/1215, I think I would be stressing myself out .. I would have to leave toddler groups Etc early to make pick up then rush them home for lunch and naps for those that need it before out the door again. Every year I consider doing it if I still have them here (tho of course often they are gone cos of maternity for next baby) and every year decide against it! I will lose three this year but one wouldn't be coming back anyway.

I find my own girls mix well with the little ones and I can just about manage the different age groups with them (plus if they are bored they can take themselves off!) but I did once have a schoolie and it was a disaster .. Couldn't get out in hols as no room In car, he was always bored and I could never get him to be quiet while the babies were napping. So never again.

redtiger21
19-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have to say, I think it's going to come as a big blow to my full-timer's parent (child goes up in Sept), as she's said before that she'll be sending X to me until she's 16! So I feel almost disloyal to them as a family, as I find it hard to separate myself from them, I almost feel like she's my child and their childcare is my problem. I'm also currently the only CM in town, although there are quite a few in surrounding villages. On the other hand, I enjoy the fact that I currently have no school runs at all (my own daughters are older and walk themselves), plus the LO I'd be letting go is really quite a challenge and sometimes makes me dread getting up in the morning, as much as we have a close relationship! Really still undecided. How much notice should I give?

VeggieSausage
19-01-2015, 01:41 PM
I gave notice to my after schoolies a year ago and it was the best thing I did....go for it you won't regret it if you are feeling like you don't want to.....

KatieFS
19-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Hey red tiger! I'm in your situation now. My youngest will be in year 3 sept and want her to have more freedom. I find having other (older) children here sometimes gets in her way and definitely struggle with age range.
Whilst i would be sad letting some go would feel happy with a quieter house and genuinely think they will enjoy after school club better as they've grown out of my resources. I don't mind covering morning drop offs but not after school.
I'm a bit worried about money don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face
I'm hoping to move out if childminding by end of the year so suppose I need to put money where mouth is so to speak and just do it

lollipop kid
20-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I was in this boat a while ago. I only cover the one school - the one my son attends. I was finding a fair amount of conflict amongst the group of after-schoolers that I had at the time, which was worse when my son - roughly the same age - was there. He ended up retreating upstairs (his call - not mine). It then became clear that one of the a/s boys had become very aggressive - almost over night, and not just with me, but at school too. (I had a quiet word with his teacher and found she had also noticed this. It all came to a head when there was a parent's event at his school not long afterwards, as well as one at his little brother's nursery, and his dad decided to go to the little brother's thing instead of his! It was a real lightbulb moment - his dad had stopped working a short while before, and the little boy was questioning why he had to come to a childminder for after-school, when his dad was actually at home. He was just wanting to spend more time with Dad, in my honest opinion. I spoke to his Dad and told him how upset his son had been that the Dad had missed his school thing. I suggested that he stop coming to me so Dad could have more quality time with him. His Dad then said that he'd kept him coming to me so he would have a consistent routine in case Dad got another job quickly. The negative behaviour carried on though, so about two weeks later, I just told Dad that it might be best if he step in, as I felt it would be better all round if the child stopped coming to me.)

I still see the family every day - they are really happy and it seems to be working. Dad still isn't working, but at least the children look really happy after-school. (The youngest is also at school now, so Dad picking both boys up has worked out brilliantly.) The little boy always waves to me, as does the Dad and little brother, and it's nice to see the nice little group they make (instead of the unhappy little boy that I saw towards the end of his time at mine. I should add that I'd had him for two years by this point, so it wasn't anything here upsetting him, thankfully!)

My other after-school (part-time) boy left in December, having been with me since he was aged one - he's just turned 7. He got to an age where he was just bored around the babies. I'm babysitting for him at the end of the month, though, as I've done since he first came to me, and I can't wait.

I've kept one after-school girl, who loves being around the babies, and they adore her. She only comes two days a week, and we're a really happy bunch. I'll keep going with her as long as she wants to be here.

I'm just posting this to say that it worked out fine for me in the end. My son is also happier with this arrangement, as is his older sister. (Neither of my children could handle the drama previously - which although I nipped it in the bud rapidly, wasn't nice at the time!)

I won't be taking on any other after-schools. My best bit of advice is to tell those who ask for after-school that you're full (as I do). It's much kinder than just saying No. :thumbsup:

alex__17
20-01-2015, 10:12 PM
I ws thinking of doing just eyfs but my current after schoolers are lovely and get on well with little ones so it works well.
I only collect from a lower school though and older a/s that get quite crazy wheb all come together on a thurs will move up in sept so I'm considering saying I don't collect from the lower school and filling their space with reception kids...prefer them closer in age to eyfs children as they're into the same sort of toys and games

loocyloo
20-01-2015, 10:14 PM
I won't be taking on any other after-schools. My best bit of advice is to tell those who ask for after-school that you're full (as I do). It's much kinder than just saying No. :thumbsup:

that's what I say. I have 2 sisters who I have had for a couple of years, and they just love playing with the babes, and I've taken on a friends DD who, although not so keen on the babes, is a quiet girl who loves to colour and craft, rather like my own DD and the 2 sisters. plus they all sing and dance and have that in common. (plus the newest schoolie only does an hour max, a couple of days a week!) all my schoolies are term time only as well!

I do have 2 reception children who came to me for the 3 yrs before they went to school, and they come for a day or 2 each week in the holidays, but they are still little enough, plus 'part of the furniture' and fit in ( as well as knowing my rules! ) however, as they get older, I will be suggesting holiday clubs for them as well!

Rubybubbles
20-01-2015, 10:28 PM
I move often! Due to my hubby job, moved 5 times since joining this forum haha!

I gave notice in dec to 2school runs (big hit on money) so I now only have 1 school run 8-9 4 days a week morning only it's perfect. I dont mind the morning drop off as or sets me for the day. But not having the afternoon run has made a huge difference I feel so much more relaxed now. Hubby had said he has noticed I have a spark for the job again

I love the babies!!

KatieFS
21-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Well I'll still have the school run when I pick my girl up.
I'm a bit worried about money but it's becoming difficult with the older children bossing my little one around. Then when my son comes in he get rubbed up the wrong way as one of the schoolers gets on his pip. She is very bossy and says silly things which annoys him. He has a low threshold if that makes sense! . It's their home so they should come first. Also like the family and think it would be difficult for them to find cover. If I give them lots of notice then that will have to do.
I think I'll not take on anymore including one of my EY who will go into reception in sept. I'll tell them next week. And see how it goes x

redtiger21
31-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Well I'll still have the school run when I pick my girl up.
I'm a bit worried about money but it's becoming difficult with the older children bossing my little one around. Then when my son comes in he get rubbed up the wrong way as one of the schoolers gets on his pip. She is very bossy and says silly things which annoys him. He has a low threshold if that makes sense! . It's their home so they should come first. Also like the family and think it would be difficult for them to find cover. If I give them lots of notice then that will have to do.
I think I'll not take on anymore including one of my EY who will go into reception in sept. I'll tell them next week. And see how it goes x

How did it go when you told the family, Katie?

KatieFS
02-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Telling families this week. Eek

ziggy
02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
my last schoolie left in December 2012, I havent had any since and it is just bliss. Last week I was looking out of the window at 3pm, it was cold, windy and very snowy and I thought 'thank goodness I havent got to drag the little ones out of bed, wrap them all up and walk out to meet the school bus'

Good luck telling the parents but to me the stress of schoolies (especially as I dont have any of my own) just isnt worth it

KatieFS
03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Told them all!
All fine ish. Two were thinking of doing after school club anyway.
Had a crap day with one of the schoolers today, getting very aggressive and physical with her little brother. This family have just told me they are thinking of pre school in sept so they could well be making changes anyway
Weird I feel guilty. You get so attached to the families and the children, I hope they can sort something out. Also a bit nervy about financial implications but know that can't carry on with the older ones as not working well for my children and does affect the little ones too