PDA

View Full Version : Good grief!

funemnx
15-01-2015, 07:24 PM
G age nearly 3 has been very tearful this afternoon, not like his usual self at all although eating well and playing happily when not crying, so I mentioned to Mum on pick up 'Oh' she says, well he was sick yesterday!' :angry:

I totally understand that parents have to work but grandparents are just down the road and retired - they have him and his sister on Wednesdays and when I'm on holiday etc so WHY didn't he go there today???

Time to remind 'all' parents in a newsletter AGAIN!!!

Mouse
15-01-2015, 09:05 PM
It's so frustrating when they do that :mad:

Luckily I only have one family who push their luck. Mum turned up with lo one morning and he looked awful. She swore he hadn't been sick and said it was definitely only teething as they'd googled the symptoms and that was what it said (What a load of rubbish!). Within half an hour lo had been sick so I phoned dad to come and collect him as he works closer. When he turned up has mentioned how lo had been sick the night before and that morning!

halor
15-01-2015, 11:11 PM
What's really annoying is that they pass it on to you or your family and you have to close!

lollipop kid
16-01-2015, 09:59 AM
G age nearly 3 has been very tearful this afternoon, not like his usual self at all although eating well and playing happily when not crying, so I mentioned to Mum on pick up 'Oh' she says, well he was sick yesterday!' :angry:

I totally understand that parents have to work but grandparents are just down the road and retired - they have him and his sister on Wednesdays and when I'm on holiday etc so WHY didn't he go there today???

Time to remind 'all' parents in a newsletter AGAIN!!!

Hello, I've had this happen to me before, so now I remind parents of the point in the contract that says: "The registered childminder may terminate the contract immediately for any of the following reasons .... If parent(s)/guardian(s) brings a child to the setting knowing that they are ill" (if you use PACEY contracts, see the last bullet point on the right hand side of page 4.)

I've found that I only need to remind parents of this once and they don't do it again.

Hope that helps,

L

funemnx
16-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Fab, thanks - I'll do that :thumbsup:

lollipop kid
16-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Fab, thanks - I'll do that :thumbsup:

Timing is everything - I've found that the best time to remind them of this is when they're leaving yours with sick child that they know they really shouldn't have dropped off in the first place.

(Depending on the illness - I remind them they can't return for the next 2 days if it's D&V, or at least one day if it's something like a high temperature - or until recovered well enough to be up to a full childminding day, including eating normally, going on school runs, and without the need for medication unless prescribed, and only then after they've had the medicine at home for the first 3 days in case of poor reaction to it/as well as to give it a chance to start working before they return.)

I've got all of this in my sickness policy - I have been known to hand them a printed copy when picking up poorly little one also.

Good luck!

L

bunyip
16-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Hello, I've had this happen to me before, so now I remind parents of the point in the contract that says: "The registered childminder may terminate the contract immediately for any of the following reasons .... If parent(s)/guardian(s) brings a child to the setting knowing that they are ill" (if you use PACEY contracts, see the last bullet point on the right hand side of page 4.)

I've found that I only need to remind parents of this once and they don't do it again.

Hope that helps,

L

Absolutely.

I would issue the OP's client with a first and final written warning that they'll be receiving immediate notice if it happens again. :mad:

I'd also be asking them how much they'd like it if somebody exposed their family to illness knowingly and unnecessarily. Some people. :angry:

candy cat
16-01-2015, 04:59 PM
I had to tell a family off for sending ill child..... There answer was the Doctor said he is fine to come to me ! They didn't like me saying I decide if a child is well enough not the doctor.....i am now sat here shivering as think I have it now!!!

lollipop kid
16-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Parents have tried "the Doctor said they're OK to attend" on me as well, but sorry, unless I see a written note from the Doctor confirming that "the child's condition is not infectious and they are safe to be around other early years children and adults", then I don't admit them. (Doctors would never commit themselves to something like this, so I think it's a safe bet that the child stays with the parents.)

Try it!

:panic:

L

funemnx
16-01-2015, 05:54 PM
I did end a contract with immediate effect once for sending a sick child. The parents said he'd been diagnosed with flu and then promptly told me the child could come back because the doctor said he was well enough to attend. The poor child was grey, slept all day and could hardly walk to the school. Hubby got really ill and because he's diabetic, ended up having to have 2 weeks off work and using an inhaler. The last straw was when the Mum got it and had time off work because 'she's never been so ill' but continued to send her son! I felt really sorry for the child because parents couldn't understand just how ill he was and then when they got it, sent him so that they could have time at home to get better! :rolleyes: