PDA

View Full Version : Childminding before Ofsted Registered?

LExplorers
15-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Hi, this may be a very silly question. But I understand that I can childmind over 8's while I wait to be Ofsted registered. Is this correct? I don't want to advertise and then be in big trouble and jeopardise my Ofsted application by doing the wrong thing.

Many thanks for any info :)

sarah707
16-01-2015, 08:59 PM
the rules are here about what you can and cannot do -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/factsheet-childcare-registration-not-required

However, it's a slightly grey area because you are currently registering... so be very careful about working for money until you have your certificate and can buy insurance :D

Simona
17-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Hi, this may be a very silly question. But I understand that I can childmind over 8's while I wait to be Ofsted registered. Is this correct? I don't want to advertise and then be in big trouble and jeopardise my Ofsted application by doing the wrong thing.

Many thanks for any info :)

I would ring Ofsted helpline and ask for support
Take the name of the person who answers the phone and record what is being said ...that operator will do the same.

If they give you no proper answer ask for the email of anyone in Ofsted you can direct your query to....

It is hard to give advice because everyone will have a different solution...however.,...the guidance is clear on what you can do with the over 8's...make sure you are quoting from it when you call Ofsted.

If your registration is taking a long time tell Ofsted they are delaying you setting up business and providing care to 'hard working families' ...their rhetoric...so you wish to minimise that delay.

Let us know what they suggest...I have jotted this new issue down and will put forward at OBC...CMs are having too many barriers put in their way while the govt is busy removing anything that comes in the path of nurseries.

I am going to write to one of the Ofsted officers and flag up this constant difference in opinions and advice CMs receive...she will have the answer.

Bundle
25-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Morton Michel do actually offer insurance for this - it's called 'Childminder Exempt from Registration' and comes under their nanny policy for some reason. When your registration comes through you can then cancel the first policy and take out the normal childminding one and get the unused weeks refunded.
Might be worth giving them a call if you do decide to look after over 8's before you register?