PDA

View Full Version : constantly crying mindee...

shireen
14-01-2015, 02:29 PM
I've only been.childminding since August, and my first mindee was a then 11 month old boy, who is with me 2 consecutive mornings a week, term time only. He is now 16 months and I am really struggling witth his constant crying! He settled really well to start, but since November it all changed and he is unhappy from the second he is dropped off. He is happy to be comforted by me, but as soon as I have to put him down (I also have my 2yo dd and another mindee who is 14 months
)he starts to cry and gets worse the further away I get from him. He has an older sister, so isn't used to getting all the attention at home. I'm in constant communication with his mum, as we both want him to be happy. Any ideas gratefully received as I'm at my wits end. This morning he only stopped crying to sleep and eat!!! Tia. Xx

natlou82
15-01-2015, 07:57 AM
I really feel for you, but unfortunately I have no real words of wisdom. I had a mindee like this but it was from the very beginning I just made her feel very secure and over time she has gradually become more independent and happy. It's odd that your mindee was fine and changed, was there anything really different happening for him? Perhaps he then realised mum is away all day? Is there a comforter or something he could bring from home? Other than that I'm not sure but thought I'd respond as to boost up your post for advice from more experienced minders on here. Good luck :-)

sarah707
16-01-2015, 09:01 PM
If it's been going on a long time and the child is failing to thrive while with you then you might need to consider that he's not in the right place :(

It's a very tough call and no reflection on you or your provision - some children simply need to be elsewhere because he is not learning and developing well if he is crying all day apart from eating and sleeping :(

Hugs xx

k1rstie
16-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Hi shireen. We have all had a little one like yours

k1rstie
16-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Sorry, pressed the wrong button on my phone!

We have all had a child like the one you described.
Interestingly many childminders have a hard time with their very first child. Although an older child, my first childminding experience was nightmare, and looking back I was so stressed. I thankfully, gave notice after the first 12 weeks.

My child had been at another minder, as he was my first child, I did not know his previous minder, or know why he left. Often 'hard' children can end up with 'new' childminders because they have not developed their gut feelings or have many/any childminding friends to talk too.

If your child is just not settling, maybe it is time to give notice.
Good luck

blue bear
18-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Is there any chance he can come more often, I find with part timers it's so much harder for them to settle.