PDA

View Full Version : Having to rethink my toys from home policy!

Mouse
13-01-2015, 03:16 PM
I've always been more than happy for children to bring toys from home. It's usually a teddy, a book or something small.

Since the beginning of last week I have had a bike, a keyboard complete with stand, 7 teddies for one child, a box of lego, and one child bought 4 gift bags filled with clothes in case she wanted to change!

Ready for next week I've bought the children a small bag each (book bag type) and have written a letter to say they can only bring what fits in their bag. Should be interesting to see what happens next week!

Maza
13-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Oh-my-word!!!!
Yes, you do have to re-think your policy! The parents are being very naïve there. I was just thinking about the size of the keyboard bu then I thought about the noise and thought actually, it's bloomin' rude.

Word of warning though - small toys can be worse in some ways - easier to lose. Also, I hope you are not sending the message out that they can FILL the bags with toys because the only thing worse than a small toy is 'lots of small toys'! I'm not sure I would do the bag thing to be totally honest. Good luck. x

sing-low
13-01-2015, 05:32 PM
It's a difficult one, isn't it, because some children need a toy as a comforter while other children don't but if one brings a toy then the others will want to too. I had this conundrum with DD at nursery - I told her that she couldn't take toys with her (because they had plenty there) but she came back with 'but X brings her teddy'!

Mouse
13-01-2015, 06:36 PM
I really have no problem with them bringing toys, even lots of small ones. I've done it for years and we've rarely lost any.

It's the size of the toys that's now becoming an issue. My hallway was full yesterday with the bike, keyboard (noise wasn't a problem as I turned the volume right down!) and hundreds of teddies!

Still, I suppose none of it's as bad as the time a dad turned up with a full size bouncy castle, compete with huge pump! I thanked him for thinking of us (he thought it would be nice for the kids to have outside for the day), but did send him away with it :laughing: