PDA

View Full Version : out of hours care

gemma659353
12-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Hi

I have someone who is looking for care on a Saturday 4.30am-3pm which could extend to six days a week. I'm just starting out, not 100% sure I want to do it but if I was what would you guys charge? Normal hours I charge £4.25 per hour

bunyip
12-01-2015, 11:32 AM
There are 2 considerations:

Do you genuinely want to work a Saturday (especially if you're already decided on doing Monday-Friday) and are prepared to treat it as work, and not a mere inconvenience?
If so, are you able to fill up your Saturday spaces, or will you be stuck working for 1 child at 33% of your earning potential?

Personally, I think "out of hours" care is a misnomer or an oxymoron. If it's outside the hours you're prepared to work then you.......erm.........won't be working it.

OTOH, it's your business and you can charge whatever the client is prepared to pay. Some people have a moral issue over this, others don't. I'm not going to preach.

watford wizz
12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
I work week ends but have a day off in the week. I charge my normal rate, I also offer overnight care. Have not had problem filling space as not many will cover week ends but I'm near big hosp and staff who work shifts works well for me but it does have to be regular work I don't do 1 offs for families I don't already do other hours for. Not everyone lives near family. It's up to you but could be your unique selling point x

AliceK
12-01-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm afraid I wouldn't even consider a 4.30am start whatever the rate. My family would kill me lol. Seriously though there is no way I am getting out of bed at that time any day never mind a weekend I need my sleep too much.

xxx

k1rstie
12-01-2015, 02:20 PM
If so, are you able to fill up your Saturday spaces, or will you be stuck working for 1 child at 33% of your earning potential?

That's a really interesting way to think of it! I had not thought about it that way before.

gemma659353
12-01-2015, 02:29 PM
I have two early year children of mine own so can only have one early years. I'm still under decided.

I gave asking if they had another carer who would be happy to do alternative weekends.

shortstuff
12-01-2015, 02:38 PM
I am afraid i wouldn't want to work those hours either. I cant imagine ever wanting to wake a child to deliver them at that time either. When would the child ever get to see their parents?

gemma659353
12-01-2015, 02:56 PM
The parent in question works those hours six days a week. That's why I choose to childmind

k1rstie
12-01-2015, 03:02 PM
If the child were to start at 4.30. What time would you need to get up. If it were me I probably would have to get up at 4. Getting up at 4 o'clock 6 days out of seven to look after children, would not be my idea of fun. Week after week, month after month!!!!!! The mindee not being able to make a noise incase any of your children or partner got woken up!

Not for me I'm afraid - my family would not be impressed. If I had no children living at home, and lived alone I MAY consider it, but it's not really family friendly

sing-low
12-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I would charge double or triple my hourly rate for the unsociable hours. But I might also ask the parent if they would consider bringing the child to come to go to bed at your house at their usual bedtime the evening before so that their, your and your family's sleep would not be disturbed. They wouldn't be losing out on time with their child that way.

Mouse
12-01-2015, 04:24 PM
When you're first starting out it's very tempting to take on any work that comes along, but you do have to really think about whether or not you want to do this. If you're unsure about it I'd say don't do it.

What if you took on another child who needed a 6pm finish? 4.30am-6pm is an awfully long day. If that was 6 days a week you'd be exhausted by the Sunday and your only free day would be spent catching up on sleep or jobs that you hadn't managed to get done during the week.

natlou82
12-01-2015, 05:16 PM
I started out last yr and do Mon - Fri and by Friday night I'm shattered! I know you may be keen for the business as you are just starting out but really consider what effect it will have on you and your family the 4:30am start will be really tough if you are not used to shift work! But as others have said this could be a USP and you could charge a premium for offering a service that many of us would turn down. Good luck :-)

Fitrix
14-01-2015, 01:50 PM
You have to do what works for you and your family. Although most of us on here would balk at such an early start and 6 days a week, it may well work for you for now. If your own children are really young then you would have the opportunity (which childminders don't often get) of quality time with just your children every day from 3pm. Once they start school though it would be a lot harder for you. I guess you have to consider your children and your own energy levels! I can barely scrape myself into a comprehensible state for 7.30 but some people are more morning people!
You could always take the work on with a view to reviewing after 6 months? Be open about your reservations. And also what is their long term plan for their child once he/she starts nursery/school?