PDA

View Full Version : Daft question how many of same type of toys do you?

KateA
12-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi I plan on having big sort out/ clear out this year I have far too many toys and books they are taking over. I was just wondering how many toys you keep of similar type? shape sorters, wooden puzzles books etc x

bunyip
12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi I plan on having big sort out/ clear out this year I have far too many toys and books they are taking over. I was just wondering how many toys you keep of similar type? shape sorters, wooden puzzles books etc x

Not a daft question at all.

If I had the space, I'd have at least 6 of everything. I have quite a variety of toys, but guarantee an argument will break out over anything if they can't all have it. "It's not fair, he's got the ...... whateveritis."

Then I'm faced with the ultimate moral dilemma of infant resource distribution. Which matters most? Is it:-

"He had it first, so he can play with it." ? ....or....
"He's had it long enough and you have to take turns." ?

I have no idea what's right and wrong in those situations, but I swear if they found just one steaming dog-turd in the park, they'd all want it. :p

On a similar note, Mrs Bunyip has banned me from buying 'spare' toys. We have several games which are so popular, I daren't be without them if a part gets broken or stops working. So I fill the loft with spare copies of games I already have. Car boot and charity shop purchases, naturlich. ;)

sing-low
12-01-2015, 02:52 PM
I try and look at toys from the point of view of how big it is and how much it will cost to replace (as well as if it actually gets used). For example, I have a vtech baby walker which I find really useful for just-learning-to-walkers but it is probably the largest toy I have that isn't currently being used. However, I bought it from Oxfam for £5 (bargain!) and it would almost certainly cost far more to replace it, so it stays. Things that I know I can replace (or find close equivalent) I tend to part with, apart from a core stock of baby and toddler toys and what my children own/play with/refuse to be parted from!