PDA

View Full Version : newbie - childminding... HELP!

hafsah
11-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions but before that let me introduce myself: I live in south croydon and have recently completed the cache L3 for home-based childcare.
I need some help with sorting out a few issues:

- I am live on a rented property. I am trying to find a 2 bedroom place so i can start work. i should be telling the landlord of the new place about my childminding business, right?
- at this moment, while still looking at properties, can i send in my application to Ofsted being unsure where im moving to?
-where & when to apply for the business grant of 250 pounds?
- realistically how long does it take the registration for childminding. i know ofsted officially states its 12 weeks but whats your personal experience?
- after the registration how long does it take for the setup to start working? when was the first child/children start coming - your experience?
- where to get first aid done from? how to find ofsted/council approved first aid training?
- what documents can i send later on after the application? do i have to send any at the time i submit the application?
- what sort of work to do while waiting for registration?

I know i have a lot of questions but im hopeful, i will find some solace in the answers i might be getting.
thank you

Rick
11-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Before all that you need to contact your LA with regards to attending their briefing session and then their course. Your level 3 doesn't mean you can bypass this LA course.

More info here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

moggy
11-01-2015, 05:43 PM
- £250 grant- ask your Local Authority, Early Years team (Local Authority = LA in our shorthand here!)

- realistically how long does it take the registration for childminding. i know ofsted officially states its 12 weeks but whats your personal experience?
As long a piece of string. All it takes is a problem with one of the checks and it can all grind to a halt. 3-6mths is a good estimate.

- after the registration how long does it take for the setup to start working? when was the first child/children start coming - your experience?
Some people have clients lined up even before certificate arrives. Start spreading the word and then once certificate comes you can sign contracts. For others it can be a 6mth slog to get that first child in. Bit of it is luck, a bit of it is local market conditions- is there demand?, a big bit is marketing- on childcare.co.uk, your local LA database and in schools/playgroups and local ads.

- where to get first aid done from? how to find ofsted/council approved first aid training?
Ask your LA, will be covered on your LA intro to CM course. St Johns and Red Cross offer courses- look for '12 hour paediatric first aid' as then you'll know it is a good level. It does not need to be LA approved or Ofsted approved any more- read EYFS as it explains the requirement.

I can't advise on rental issues as we do not rent.#

While waiting for registration you can get your contract, policies, paperwork ready, work out your business name, fees, what days/hours will you open, plan resources and equipment, do your risk assessments (RAs), plan how you will use your setting- naps area, cots, nappy change area etc

Good luck!