PDA

View Full Version : Happyland figures

mumofone
11-01-2015, 09:25 AM
So we all know that OFSTED are hot on multicultural resources etc so I've been looking at happyland figures. Are these thought to be acceptable by ofsted a standards? I ask because I saw a set of "from around the world" figures that you could say teach children about different cultures and ethnicities but you could also argue that the enforce stereotypes ie. There was a french figure with a beret on and s string of garlic round his neck but obviously not all french men look like this (well none actually!)

blue bear
11-01-2015, 09:42 AM
I've got a set of cards from marks and soccer, mrs o mentioned the stereo type look of them. I said I wise them as a starting point to discuss how we are not alike, how not all Spanish ladies dress up in red dresses but it is seen as their traditional costumes, she was fine with it because I had clearly thought about it.

rickysmiths
11-01-2015, 10:25 AM
I have the Happy Land Figures and I think they are a great starting place for little ones.

Just a point about the string of onions and beret. That was indeed my first meeting with a French man. The Breton Onion Boys used to come over here and cycle around door to door selling onions. My mum always bought a string each year. So is it a Stereotype? No it actually isn't it is a historical view of one kind of working Frenchman.

Anyone else remember the Breton Onion Boys? I lived in the West Country and this was in the mid 60s to mid 70s.

Oh and another point but Breton French has similarities to Cornish and Welsh, apparently my Welsh Grandmother who lived in Swansea and always spoke Welsh but never spoke French could converse with the Onion Boys. She passed away in the late 50s.

Maza
11-01-2015, 10:52 AM
No, I don't remember them at all. That is obviously linked to the Breton basics clothes - the lovely stripy design.
We always laugh at how English people are portrayed in films - they always live in big homes, even in London. That's why I love the kids programme 'Humf' because he lives in a flat like me and some of my mindees. Sorry, gone off track a bit!

rickysmiths
11-01-2015, 11:10 AM
No, I don't remember them at all. That is obviously linked to the Breton basics clothes - the lovely stripy design.
We always laugh at how English people are portrayed in films - they always live in big homes, even in London. That's why I love the kids programme 'Humf' because he lives in a flat like me and some of my mindees. Sorry, gone off track a bit!

Yes they often did wear stripy tops! It sounds a bit corny but it did happen.

Tradition of French onion farmers in UK under threat | World news | The Observer (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/dec/21/onion-farmers-france)

BBC - Wales History: Johnny Onions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/waleshistory/2012/03/johnny_onions_breton_onion_sellers.html)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eLrhWSxesh0C&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=Breton+Onion+Boys&source=bl&ots=e2FhDl4z4j&sig=5_tL_So2mPkr26jXdctwS3dHVpw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vFiyVPaXFYX9UOKOg6gC&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Breton%20Onion%20Boys&f=false

Onion Johnny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Johnny)

lollipop kid
19-01-2015, 06:42 PM
I love the school set, as there is a child in a wheelchair (included in the school setting with all of the able children). Just don't show Ofsted that you can't actually fit her on the school bus that's part of a separate set. :laughing:

I used this set at an inspection where I was actually given a Good grade - not just because of this set, but I'm sure it helped with the diversity resources question. I also like the fact that all of the figures have different skin tones, and there's a police woman as well as a police man, female doctor, etc.

Hope that helps,

L

lisbet
19-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Sorry to go off topic OP, but wanted to thank Rickysmiths for the historical gems - very interesting! :thumbsup:

mumofone
19-01-2015, 08:27 PM
I love the school set, as there is a child in a wheelchair (included in the school setting with all of the able children). Just don't show Ofsted that you can't actually fit her on the school bus that's part of a separate set. :laughing: I used this set at an inspection where I was actually given a Good grade - not just because of this set, but I'm sure it helped with the diversity resources question. I also like the fact that all of the figures have different skin tones, and there's a police woman as well as a police man, female doctor, etc. Hope that helps, L

Thanks lollipop, how do you kind of show the inspector you've got them, do you literally have to point them out and say "as you can see they are a different etc"...?

lollipop kid
19-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks lollipop, how do you kind of show the inspector you've got them, do you literally have to point them out and say "as you can see they are a different etc"...?

She asked me what resources I had that teach positive images of disability/or counter sexual/racial stereotyping (I never get easy questions!). I just took her into my front room and showed her these. I was probably quite gushy, saying things like "The children and I love these because..." "isn't this one great? Look at how the child in the wheelchair fits has great access to the school building/is the right height for the sandpit".

I have traditional shelves either side of my fireplace - with a massive fireguard in front of it - which detaches easily when I want my room back. It stores flat behind the sofa.) My happyland figures are stored in plastic mini towers with separate drawers on these shelves, together with various other resources. I have just drawn one of the figures on a label on the front of each drawer (it helps that I went to Art College in my youth!! - I'm quite proud of my labels - how sad is that?) So I can find all of my resources really quickly.

These figures actually helped me cover the whole area of diversity, as well as a couple of well-chosen books: "The Lost Puppy" (the lead character is a boy in a wheelchair who is the only one of a group of friends who can transport an injured puppy safely to the vets, as unlike his friends, he has wheels). See an earlier post of mine round about March last year for my inspection feedback as it's all a bit hazy now.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

L