PDA

View Full Version : Registering certain rooms

mumofone
10-01-2015, 06:15 PM
IF I want to register one upstairs bedrock obviously I will have to risk assess it but would I have to register and risk assess the stairs and landing on the way to that bedroom? I'm thinking I may need one upstairs room for use of the cot or to do nappy changes, I'm not sure where everyone changes nappies?

moggy
10-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Unless you have very strong reasons for not registering a particular room/area, you might as well get the whole house registered.

Not all rooms have to be 'baby proof'. My 2 son's rooms are included in my registered setting: they are regular 9 and 7 year old boy's rooms (wall to wall Lego!) and current mindees never go in there. But, if for some reason one day I wanted to put a travel cot up in there I could clear a space and do so as they are included as part of my setting. It gives me options. Same with a bedroom we use as an office room- I actually use it as a room for naps with a travel cot now (rest of room is no way baby-proof, but baby is safe in travel cot as noted in RA).

I'd suggest you register your whole house. RA each room and stairs/landing etc. If a room is not safe for a baby to crawl around in then just say so in your RA and say that room is only for naps in cots for babies who can not climb out of cot, baby will be checked regularly, will use baby monitor etc.

I'd only not register a room if it is containing something clearly dangerous to be in the same room as (like a workshop room where there are fumes from glue or something) or where there is major building work happening. Some people do not register their garden if it is a tip!

I do nappy changes on the floor by downstairs cloakroom. Some CMers use a corner of the playroom, bathroom, hallway... anywhere really that offers a bit of privacy for child but allows you to keep an eye on other children. You can use floor or a changing table/unit. Handy to be near hand-washing and bin, if possible!

sarah707
10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
we don't need to 'register' rooms with Ofsted any more - they are not noted on our certificates like they used to be.

Instead we need to be able to demonstrate to Ofsted that we are keeping children safe by, for example, having locks on doors we don't want children to go into and ensuring rooms we do use are safe and risk assessed :D

moggy
10-01-2015, 08:37 PM
we don't need to 'register' rooms with Ofsted any more - they are not noted on our certificates like they used to be.

Instead we need to be able to demonstrate to Ofsted that we are keeping children safe by, for example, having locks on doors we don't want children to go into and ensuring rooms we do use are safe and risk assessed :D

Ah, yes, that did cross my mind (where is it noted what rooms?!- no where of course!). Thanks for clarifying :)

Therefore if you bring previously unused rooms (that were not registered back in the old days) into use, you no longer have to inform Ofsted, then.

mumofone
10-01-2015, 09:27 PM
we don't need to 'register' rooms with Ofsted any more - they are not noted on our certificates like they used to be. Instead we need to be able to demonstrate to Ofsted that we are keeping children safe by, for example, having locks on doors we don't want children to go into and ensuring rooms we do use are safe and risk assessed :D

Hi sarah, Thanks for this :-) I didn't know. When was this changed, dyou know if it's documented anywhere?
So if I put a stair gate at the bottom of my stairs and tell OFSTED I don't wish children to go upstairs will this suffice?

bunyip
11-01-2015, 09:46 AM
IF I want to register one upstairs bedrock obviously I will have to risk assess it but would I have to register and risk assess the stairs and landing on the way to that bedroom? I'm thinking I may need one upstairs room for use of the cot or to do nappy changes, I'm not sure where everyone changes nappies?

Is you spill-chucker malfunctioning, or are you really Betty Rubble? :D

I agree with Sarah. Just to add: an inspector may ask which rooms you use, as they'd consider this when assessing your space requirements.

mumofone
11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Is you spill-chucker malfunctioning, or are you really Betty Rubble? :D I agree with Sarah. Just to add: an inspector may ask which rooms you use, as they'd consider this when assessing your space requirements.

Lol oops! Blimmin "spill chucker"! ;-)

Simona
11-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Hi sarah, Thanks for this :-) I didn't know. When was this changed, dyou know if it's documented anywhere?
So if I put a stair gate at the bottom of my stairs and tell OFSTED I don't wish children to go upstairs will this suffice?

A stairgate will help block the children from going upstairs unsupervised but you can still use the rooms upstairs if needed and you have RA them
Changing nappies must be where you can see or hear other children...some CMs may use a playpen for a few minutes to keep young one safe whil they change nappies

EYFS p 27 is all about Premises and safety

mumofone
11-01-2015, 02:22 PM
A stairgate will help block the children from going upstairs unsupervised but you can still use the rooms upstairs if needed and you have RA them Changing nappies must be where you can see or hear other children...some CMs may use a playpen for a few minutes to keep young one safe whil they change nappies EYFS p 27 is all about Premises and safety

Thanks simona, that's a good point about changing nappies, I hadn't thought about that! Jeez there's so much to consider! Or am I making it difficult for myself?!